Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Example European Itinerary, Advice needed!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Example European Itinerary, Advice needed!!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Smile Example European Itinerary, Advice needed!!

Hi
I will be travelling with a 2 other adults and 2 kids (9,11) stopping in London, Paris, Milan, Venice, Florence and finally Rome in June/July of this year. I wanted some advice on whether the hotels I was looking at were good choices for us.

London - The Corinthia
Paris - The Mandarin Oriental
Milan - Park Hyatt
Venice - Westin Europe&Regina (unsure of this)
Florence - Four Seasons
Rome - Portrait Suites

Are these places worth staying at, any other suggestions would be great.
Old May 17, 2012, 3:56 am

I think Mandarin Oriental Paris and Four Seasons Florence are excellent choices. For the other cities, I personally would choose different properties:

London - Four Seasons
Milan - Four Seasons
Venice - Il Palazzo at the Bauer
Rome - Hotel de Russie

Sounds like this will be a great trip
Old May 17, 2012, 6:04 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Excelsior in Florence has some nice rooms with roof terraces. I like Cipriani in Venice.
Old May 17, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Ditto MikefromTokyo with the exception being I have not stayed at MO Paris, but would like to try it! Especially love the FS in Florence and Milan. FS Florence is really special - a bit out if the center, but I still walked everywhere and so worth it with the gorgeous rooms and lovely garden which is actually a park! For Il Palazzo at the Bauer ask for canal facing room. Hotel de Russie I like to face the courtyard/garden because I am noise sensitive, and it is lovely.
Old May 17, 2012, 6:57 am

I, too, agree with MikefromTokyo. I have stayed at MO Paris, so yes, I would agree to this, too, unless this is your first trip to Paris, in which case, FS George V would be a better choice - it is also superb for kids as they have a wonderful kid's programme.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
I love the Bauer Il Palazzo, stayed there twice before and heading there again next week. I've only stayed at a handful of other hotels on Venice, but this is my favorite for its location, views, and the atmosphere.
Old May 17, 2012, 8:15 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Note that if you require connecting rooms the only rooms at the MO Paris which connect are a Suite with a guest room which can become a very expensive proposition.

The Four Seasons George V have many connecting room options.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in venice bauer now has villa F (apartments) next to il palladio

florence and london - consider adding countryside stays?

SL paris >
some rates have dropped substantially since opening
7th floor = 4 rooms/suites incl premier suite with large terrace & connecting dlx room
but little avail because of size of hotel

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 17, 2012 at 1:24 pm
Old May 17, 2012, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by frey12
Hi
I will be travelling with a 2 other adults and 2 kids (9,11) stopping in London, Paris, Milan, Venice, Florence and finally Rome in June/July of this year. I wanted some advice on whether the hotels I was looking at were good choices for us.

London - The Corinthia
Paris - The Mandarin Oriental
Milan - Park Hyatt
Venice - Westin Europe&Regina (unsure of this)
Florence - Four Seasons
Rome - Portrait Suites

Are these places worth staying at, any other suggestions would be great.

IMO London has better options than the Corinthia. While the location just off Northumberland Ave is convenient to a number of sites, it's very dead in the evenings and a little bit of a pain to travel from.

Both Claridges and the Savoy have "family suites" of a two connecting rooms sharing a full-bath, which might be economical if you were simply considering two rooms. Otherwise, if price isn't your principal concern, the new 45 Park Lane appears to be a good choice. I've always been partial to the Berkeley, particularly if you're interested in exploring South Ken/Chelsea/Hyde Park. My objection to the Four Seasons is that a standard (Premier) room is only 390sf, which will feel a bit tight even with just two people, and there is no real 'junior suite' option. But, if you choose to spend up, you won't be disappointed.

DavidO has a thread somewhere in the first two pages of this board comparing the new London properties; it may be of use to you.
Old May 17, 2012, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by nba1017
. . . My objection to the Four Seasons is that a standard (Premier) room is only 390sf, which will feel a bit tight even with just two people, and there is no real 'junior suite' option. But, if you choose to spend up, you won't be disappointed. . . .
The Executive conservatories could be considered Junior suites, as they have a proper sitting area and sofas (which can fold out to be converted to a second bed). At 50 square meters they are similar in size to juniors at many other European hotels.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:35 am
Original Poster

In regards to the four seasons park lane they're showing rates of Ł3300+ for one suite during the dates we need which is a little bit too much for us since we will be needing 2 rooms

The biggest factor in London is room size (fitting all the kids in + want a bit of personal space) this is why we havent gone with the savoy 1 bathroom for 5 people isnt going to work

I've booked the MO in Paris and the Four seasons in Florence...

Does anyone have an opinion why the Four seasons is better than the park hyatt in Milan? I've heard the park hyatt is good.

Decisions decisions.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:38 am

In regards to the four seasons park lane they're showing rates of Ł3300+ for one suite during the dates we need which is a little bit too much for us since we will be needing 2 rooms

The biggest factor in London is room size (fitting all the kids in + want a bit of personal space) this is why we havent gone with the savoy 1 bathroom for 5 people isnt going to work

I've booked the MO in Paris and the Four seasons in Florence...

Does anyone have an opinion why the Four seasons is better than the park hyatt in Milan? I've heard the park hyatt is good.

Decisions decisions.
I didn't think that Park Hyatt Milan was as well built as some, such as Istanbul. The rooms and suites seemed a bit tacky to me (cheap integral headboards and bedside tables). I also thought the food was not great. Location is good, but I think you need rather more from a hotel than a great location.

FS Milan opens its new spa in June and it looks incredible. Given the size of the rooms and suites here and the quality, and given the service and food, and the location near all the best shops, I don't think FS can be beaten. Don't forget, also, that it is housed in what was a 15th century convent, so it is filled with history.
Old May 18, 2012, 2:56 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I'd once again suggest The Stafford London in the Mews for a family booking as you can generally get an entire floor just for your family. Concierge is epic.

I'm not so sure about MO for family stays in Paris. They have very limited rooms with 2 beds. Le Bristol has a great roof top pool and has enhanced their family offerings a lot with the new GM. Lots of room options and a truly authentic french experience and similar location as MO.

Florence and Milano I would do FS for sure. Rome is always such a pool of bad choices I find. We are ragging on the Cavalieri in another thread, but perhaps its a good choice with that swimming pool? I suppose the best idea would be to stay somewhere between Florence and Rome and then roll into Rome to cover the sights.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:25 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I agree with vuittonsofstyle that the interiors of the Park Hyatt Milano seem just a bit tacky and dated, and that the food is not memorable.

But I really like the place nonetheless. The staff/service has consistently been among the warmest and most genuinely solicitous that I experience at European city hotels.

If you do go, be sure to book through a Virtuoso agent, as each time I have done so, I've been treated extraordinarily well there -- upgrades every time, to very large suites with terraces, early check-in, etc.

When the FS Milano's rooms are refurbished, I'll try it since I'm really looking forward to the spa.

Otherwise, I only know the Bulgari there (wretched) and the new Armani (very nice), but the two you're considering, Park Hyatt and FS, sound like the best choice for your group of 4.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Groombridge

But I really like the place nonetheless. The staff/service has consistently been among the warmest and most genuinely solicitous that I experience at European city hotels.

If you do go, be sure to book through a Virtuoso agent, as each time I have done so, I've been treated extraordinarily well there -- upgrades every time, to very large suites with terraces, early check-in, etc.
So with booking through a Virtuoso agent can you just book one or two hotels with them or do you have to book your whole trip because i've already booked the MO and FS florence

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.