Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanusa, Amankila or AYANA? HELP!!!

Old May 14, 2012, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

we are going for our honeymoon in august and staying at FS Sayan for the first four nights and are debating between AMANUSA AMANKILA and AYANA for second four nights...
We want a good ocean view, Since we are staying in ubud the first four we want to be able to see ocean etc...
We also feel like we are stuck because while everyone says amankila is the best place we want to be able to go out and do things, eat at good restaurants but not have to sacrafice the experience. So that is why we were leaning towards amanusa...
We also would like to know which villa everyone prefers (number) for privacy and View...
PICTURES TOO PLEASE IF YOU HAVE!
We realize you cant go wrong, that they are all beautiful but we want to do it right. Ayana we heard was lovely as well... but then we hear if you go to bali you have to stay at an aman....
Also HOW ARE THE AMAN SPAS? NEVER HEAR MUCH ABOUT THEM
SO CONFUSED
Old May 15, 2012, 5:15 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by BrittanyWilks
So I really appreciate everyones feedback.... we are going for our honeymoon in august and staying at FS Sayan for the first four nights and are debating between AMANUSA AMANKILA and AYANA for second four nights...
We want a good ocean view... Since we are staying in ubud the first four we want to be able to see ocean etc...
We also feel like we are stuck because while everyone says amankila is the best place we want to be able to go out and do things, eat at good restaurants but not have to sacrafice the experience. So that is why we were leaning towards amanusa...
We also would like to know which villa everyone prefers (number) for privacy and View...
We realize you cant go wrong, that they are all beautiful but we want to do it right. Ayana we heard was lovely as well... but then we hear if you go to bali you have to stay at an aman....
ALSO HOW ARE THE SPAS AT AMANS? I NEVER HEAR ABOUT THEM
SO CONFUSED
Amankila is the way to go. We stayed in the Indrakila Suite but there are others that have lovely ocean views as well. I have a trip report on this forum from the FS Sayan and Amankila if you'd like to search it out.....my recommendation.....stay at the FS Sayan first. This is explained in our trip report. Also, you probably won't want to leave Amankila to eat out. They will gladly set up private beach barbeques for you, and private bale picnics in the rice terraces off the property. These are much fun than eating out at other restaurants.
Old May 15, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Kila!
Old May 15, 2012, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by BrittanyWilks
we are going for our honeymoon in august and staying at FS Sayan for the first four nights and are debating between AMANUSA AMANKILA and AYANA for second four nights...
We want a good ocean view, Since we are staying in ubud the first four we want to be able to see ocean etc...
Also HOW ARE THE AMAN SPAS? NEVER HEAR MUCH ABOUT THEM
SO CONFUSED
Unfortunately, because the Bali Amans were all built prior to the Spa craze, none of them have what I would call a serious spa. Amanusa and Amandari have the best, but they are 1-2 treatments rooms at best, HOWEVER, the treatments themselves are superb, so don't let this put you off.

I would opt for Amanusa rather than Amankila, as Kila is very isolated, so no chance of eating out. Nusa is more central, but the beach views are not so idyllic as Kila, so you have to decide what your prime requirement is - beach views or proximity to restaurants.

Best accommodation at Amanusa is The Amanusa Suite, #26, which has lofty views across the plain to the sea beyond, big private pool and really romantic interiors. My favourite.

If you opt for Amankila, which is also my favourite, then I like the Indrakila Suite, which has amazing views from its private pool deck. Only in-room spa treatments here, though, but honestly, you do not care, as it is so special.

Given that you are staying at FS Sayan, which has superb spas (2, in fact), this may not be an issue at Kila.

Don't even think of Ayana. It's not in the same league.
Old May 15, 2012, 7:22 am

Ayana is NOT a luxury hotel.

It has a great Rock Bar, but not in the same league as Bulgari, Viceroy, St Regis, or Amanusa.
Old May 15, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Unfortunately, because the Bali Amans were all built prior to the Spa craze, none of them have what I would call a serious spa. Amanusa and Amandari have the best, but they are 1-2 treatments rooms at best, HOWEVER, the treatments themselves are superb, so don't let this put you off.

I would opt for Amanusa rather than Amankila, as Kila is very isolated, so no chance of eating out. Nusa is more central, but the beach views are not so idyllic as Kila, so you have to decide what your prime requirement is - beach views or proximity to restaurants.

Best accommodation at Amanusa is The Amanusa Suite, #26, which has lofty views across the plain to the sea beyond, big private pool and really romantic interiors. My favourite.

If you opt for Amankila, which is also my favourite, then I like the Indrakila Suite, which has amazing views from its private pool deck. Only in-room spa treatments here, though, but honestly, you do not care, as it is so special.

Given that you are staying at FS Sayan, which has superb spas (2, in fact), this may not be an issue at Kila.

Don't even think of Ayana. It's not in the same league.
I was at Amankila (and Amanusa) last April and spa treatments were carried out in an unoccupied guest room. It worked well. For me Amankila is the more special of the two, although I do love the beach at Amanusa. The really good restaurants in Bali are mainly in Seminyak, which is still quite a schlep from Amanusa. For 4 nights are you really going to be desperate to leave the resort to eat out? You can do that in Ubud.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
I was at Amankila (and Amanusa) last April and spa treatments were carried out in an unoccupied guest room. It worked well. For me Amankila is the more special of the two, although I do love the beach at Amanusa. The really good restaurants in Bali are mainly in Seminyak, which is still quite a schlep from Amanusa. For 4 nights are you really going to be desperate to leave the resort to eat out? You can do that in Ubud.
Oh, I missed this at Kila - didn't see they had a spa suite now. I wish they would - finally - build that spa, though!
Old May 15, 2012, 12:49 pm

Agree with the above about Ayana: cross it off your list!

(Based upon 5 nights there in April 2011. Followed by 4 nights at Dari and 5 nights at Jiwo. The Aman properties are in a different league.)
Old May 15, 2012, 2:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Oh, I missed this at Kila - didn't see they had a spa suite now. I wish they would - finally - build that spa, though!
They've been using one for a long time now, just like one for the ' gym ' which they reserve for your private use.

That spa will depend on the new owners ..

' Why are we waiting ?? '
Old May 15, 2012, 10:55 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
For those that have stayed at Amanusa before, are their bed King Size or Queen Size? I just got the weirdest answer from Amanusa reservation staff, that they only have queen size beds in all their suites.

Last edited by BENLEE; May 15, 2012 at 11:06 pm
Old May 15, 2012, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Ayana is NOT a luxury hotel.

It has a great Rock Bar, but not in the same league as Bulgari, Viceroy, St Regis, or Amanusa.
The Ayana used to be the Ritz Carlton. Its no longer a Ritz Carlton.

I agree its not a luxury hotel. At all.
I stayed there for 2 nights and felt like I was on a mass market cruise ship.

The Rock Bar is worth it to go for the drinks.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
If dining & going out matters a lot to you, I'd suggest Amanusa over Amankila.

I like Amankila, but I found the food very disappointing, and you'll be pretty much stuck there.

Four Seasons Sayan has great spa, you'll enjoy it very much
Old May 16, 2012, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
For those that have stayed at Amanusa before, are their bed King Size or Queen Size? I just got the weirdest answer from Amanusa reservation staff, that they only have queen size beds in all their suites.
They are Kingsize. Lost in translation, it seems! I have never stayed in any Aman that does not have Kingsize beds. Be reassured.
Old May 16, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat, US Air Silver, JPM Palladium
I would vote for Amankila over Amanusa.

Amankila has a magical/special feel and its location is more secluded and "authentic." The hotel has sprawling staircases and the views are spectacular being built on the cliffside. We loved exploring the surrounding areas and checking out the local spots. Theres a village down the road that has a restaurant called Vincents that has good food and live jazz if you get sick of the food at hotel. My bf and I really enjoy diving, and although diving was never great off Bali, it was better in this area. Added bonus: Richard Gere was there the week we were.

Amanusa I felt was a really nice hotel next to the main strip in Cancun. We went to Seminyak and Kuta to visit the restaurants and bars and I felt everywhere we went was very westernized and touristy.

Also, I was *extremely* disappointed with the management at Amanusa - we were one of four guests during our stay and we didn't get upgraded (booked through DavidO who's wonderful). We were put in a room that was right *on* one of the tee boxes, at the same level. So whenever a group came through that hole, theyd be staring right into our bedroom. Repeat, we were 1 of 4 guests. There was also construction going on during our stay and so all day I'd hear rhythmic banging of metal or concrete. Finally, the evening before we left to Jiwo (my fav of the Amans there, the manager's the best - although I think he left to different one), I asked the manager when we should be ready for the car and he stared at me like I was from outer space for like a whole minute (probably really 10 seconds). Someone overheard and ran up saying a car will be ready at X:00 tomorrow. Of course the manager wasn't there to see us off, Im sure the 3 other guests had something urgent that required his attention. This was the only bad Aman experience I've had. The rest of the staff was wonderful as always tho. Sorry for the rant...
Old May 16, 2012, 6:52 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by kethee
I would vote for Amankila over Amanusa.

Amankila has a magical/special feel and its location is more secluded and "authentic." The hotel has sprawling staircases and the views are spectacular being built on the cliffside. We loved exploring the surrounding areas and checking out the local spots. Theres a village down the road that has a restaurant called Vincents that has good food and live jazz if you get sick of the food at hotel. My bf and I really enjoy diving, and although diving was never great off Bali, it was better in this area. Added bonus: Richard Gere was there the week we were.

Also, I was *extremely* disappointed with the management at Amanusa - we were one of four guests during our stay and we didn't get upgraded (booked through DavidO who's wonderful). We were put in a room that was right *on* one of the tee boxes, at the same level. So whenever a group came through that hole, theyd be staring right into our bedroom. Repeat, we were 1 of 4 guests. There was also construction going on during our stay and so all day I'd hear rhythmic banging of metal or concrete. Finally, the evening before we left to Jiwo (my fav of the Amans there, the manager's the best - although I think he left to different one), I asked the manager when we should be ready for the car and he stared at me like I was from outer space for like a whole minute (probably really 10 seconds). Someone overheard and ran up saying a car will be ready at X:00 tomorrow. Of course the manager wasn't there to see us off, Im sure the 3 other guests had something urgent that required his attention. This was the only bad Aman experience I've had. The rest of the staff was wonderful as always tho. Sorry for the rant...
Yes & more days at Kila.

Not sure when you stayed but you'll be pleased to know that Sean F, former GM of Jiwo, has been promoted to regional manager for Indonesia & is also the GM , of Nusa .
Previously ,Monty B, who is now in Hawaii managing Aman projects from there.

The GMs are often called away or out of town & may not be around to greet or bid farewell, it's happened over few of the numerous time I / we have stayed.

Sometimes the suites are being ' fogged ' ( made pest free ), etc & so have to be blocked off for use.
Amanpuri has decided to close every June for such purposes. Been like this a few years now, instead of blocking off a huge ' section ' annually.
So you may have been at Nusa at a ' low ' period when such activities were happening.
The Nusa GM also oversees the residential villas so he may have been at the many site meetings..

Hope this helps explain your experience though a real pity

Think much of the construction should have ended by now with the interiors being fitted out.
However, there maybe some in some neighbouring property.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.