Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Luxury Hotels of Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO
Four Seasons
Thank you, David. Just checked their webpage; seems very nice indeed. It may be just what I was looking for (even though it's south of the Liffey, but at least in a quiet area, it seems).

Any other ideas anyone may have for nice places north of the Liffey, as well, would be appreciated.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:23 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I'm considering a trip to Ireland this fall (October) Is it worthwhile to blow most of my hotel budget on Ballyfin for 2-3 nights? Or should I take a more temperate approach that would allow me to spend time at the FS in Dublin and perhaps other upscale properties throughout my stay...

FDW
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
The Luxury Hotels of Ireland

I absolutely adored my visit to Ballyfin. I would not hesitate to stay there for 2-3 nights and blow the budget. In full disclosure, I did not get the opportunity to sleep there, but I could tell by one afternoon that it was a very special place and worthy of its accolades.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 3:22 am

I'd say it depends on what you want out of the trip. If it's a hotel-centric trip, then perhaps yes, otherwise definitely not, as the location is somewhat remote. While you won't get the full Downton Abbey experience anywhere else, there are alternatives that are much better loctaed in terms of an overall tourist experience. So I would say it depends almost entirely on what kind of traveller you are.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I'm considering a trip to Ireland this fall (October) Is it worthwhile to blow most of my hotel budget on Ballyfin for 2-3 nights? Or should I take a more temperate approach that would allow me to spend time at the FS in Dublin and perhaps other upscale properties throughout my stay...

FDW
After Ballyfin, nothing else will come close, so yes, blow your budget on it!
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
After Ballyfin, nothing else will come close, so yes, blow your budget on it!
I love how we are such great enablers on this board !
Old Dec 25, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: luxury traveler
Ballyfin is incredible... an absolutely wonderful experience. It's a museum, park, hotel, chateau, pub, amazing restaurant... Just a cultural haven that is elegant, romantic, charming and a true escape with outstanding service. For me, Ireland is lovely and a pub is a pub (although they are quite lively!) Ballyfin is truly all I needed to see of Ireland with the exception of the west coast golf course Tralee... wow!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:18 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure from the Ballyfin web page -- are rates all-inclusive, i.e., including meals, laundry, and all the other stuff listed, or are those just available at extra cost?

What about alcohol, is that extra? Are VAT and service included or extra? Is it a Virtuoso or FHR or something else property? Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I am not sure from the Ballyfin web page -- are rates all-inclusive, i.e., including meals, laundry, and all the other stuff listed, or are those just available at extra cost?

What about alcohol, is that extra? Are VAT and service included or extra? Is it a Virtuoso or FHR or something else property? Thanks in advance!
http://www.ballyfin.com/Accommodation/Rates.aspx
http://www.ballyfin.com/Accommodatio...amenities.aspx

(not in FHR 2013 directory or website)
http://www.virtuoso.com:80/hotels/11164645/ballyfin >
Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Guest's choice of: Selected and paired bottle of wine with dinner and a departure gift OR traditional afternoon tea for two, once during stay
Early check-in/late check-out subject to availability

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 25, 2013 at 9:01 pm
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:17 pm

Since I posted above, I also found that the meals are included in the rate. Liquor is extra but they post their wine list and the prices look quite reasonable.

The Virtuoso benefits in this case are pretty minimal, hopefully there is also a price concession.

Still unclear if VAT and service are included or not.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Liquor is extra

http://www.ballyfin.com/Accommodation/Rates.aspx

Pre – dinner drinks in the beautiful public rooms including champagne, wine and spirits

Gratuity & tax
first hand >
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Ballyfin does not include alcohol, apart from the pre-dinner drinks
http://www.ballyfin.com/Accommodatio...-Packages.aspx

rates are inclusive of...VAT and gratuities

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 26, 2013 at 10:39 am
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:05 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Since I posted above, I also found that the meals are included in the rate. Liquor is extra but they post their wine list and the prices look quite reasonable.

The Virtuoso benefits in this case are pretty minimal, hopefully there is also a price concession.

Doing some research, it appears that the virtuoso rate is the exact same as the Ballyfin Nightly rate...

This is what is listed as the amenities...
• Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
• Daily breakfast, already included in rates
• Guest's choice of selected and paired bottle of wine with dinner and a departure gift OR traditional afternoon tea for two, (once during stay)

So not so much a benefit.. however, at least for the days I'm interested in they are offering a CHARMING IRISH ESCAPE rate which is about 10% less than the Nightly rate; which I think would go for....

FDW
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
CHARMING IRISH ESCAPE rate which is about 10% less
thanks! calendar shows mar 14 > dec 7
http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/sea...n/offers/59554

reservations on ballyfin site is accessed by link above newsletter to left of text here http://www.ballyfin.com/Accommodation/Reservations.aspx
https://gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx?Hotel...O&locale=en-US

Nightly rate includes...VAT , gratuities.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:12 am

Thanks all. Very tempting to try Ballyfin for 2-3 nights on an upcoming trip. Note that the Chsrming Irish Escape rate excludes lunch, which is included in the main rate. Still might be cheaper, especially if one is planning to leave before lunch.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:57 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Thanks all. Very tempting to try Ballyfin for 2-3 nights on an upcoming trip. Note that the Chsrming Irish Escape rate excludes lunch, which is included in the main rate. Still might be cheaper, especially if one is planning to leave before lunch.
Oh I didn't realize that lunch was excluded... it looked like that per their website that it was a full board hotel... I would probably book the virtuoso rate then...

Any ideas of what else to do in Ireland? Thinking of three nights in Dublin (3rd night free at FS or using points somewhere) and 2-3 nights at Ballyfin (midweek, October) and then maybe 3 nights somewhere else- any ideas?

FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.