Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Phuket - Hotel Suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Hey all,

I am going to be honeymooning in Phuket this November and started to search for a hotel. It seems like these hotels keep coming up as the top hotels there are: Amanpuri, Trisara, Sri Panwa, Sala, Bayan Tree, Chedi, and Twin Palms. Anyone have any experience with these hotels or have any other suggestions?

I should be in Phuket for 6-7 nights (Spending some time in HK and Cambodia while I'm there as well). Budget is flexible.. of course I would love to get the best deal possible but if the rooms cost $1000 a night and people think that it is well worth the price, I could be okay with it. We would also be open to splitting up the time into 2 resorts as well. A private villa and our own private pool would be ideal, and it would be great to have an outdoor area where we can lay out and have a great ocean view.

About us.. we are in our late 20s, both have stressful jobs in NYC, love to travel, and enjoy great food.

Last edited by drdavidge; May 2, 2012 at 8:32 am
Old May 2, 2012, 9:07 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
There is a nice thread discussing Amanpuri vs Trisara HERE. The poster clearly gave Amanpuri the edge. Neither would really come in just under 1k. Perhaps consider Saumi or (as I always suggest) northern thailand
Old May 2, 2012, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by drdavidge
. . . We would also be open to splitting up the time into 2 resorts as well. A private villa and our own private pool would be ideal, and it would be great to have an outdoor area where we can lay out and have a great ocean view. . . .
It sounds like a Pool Villa at Trisara would meet your requirements perfectly, but even the entry level suites have plunge pools and views.

Seven nights would be enough to split between Amanpuri and Trisara.

You might also look into R-C Phulay Bay and Rayavadee in Krabi, or Four Seasons or Karma in Samui.

Four Seasons Koh Samui has private plunge pools in all categories, and larger private pools in the Beach Villas.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:29 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Split your stay between Amanpuri and Trisara. Both great and very different. Do not think anymore, just go. Nothing else in Thailand comes close.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$910 trisara ocean view pool room
$1320 trisara ocean view pool suite
$1430 trisara ocean view pool villa
$1750 amanpuri partial ocean pool pavilion

Originally Posted by Musken
Nothing else in Thailand comes close.
assuming you mean beach, excluding northern FS and MO

will be interesting to see soneva kiri reports here
there are some fans of six senses here
now six senses mgmt co has been sold, with founders focusing on soneva mgmt
Old May 2, 2012, 12:10 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Wow. Rates are going up. I would still spilt between Amanpuri and Trisara. Save money at Amanpuri by booking a non-view pavilion and spend much time at the beach and enjoying view from main areas and then splurge on a ocean view pool villa (possible to get an upgrade maybe by some TAs??) at Trisara.

And yes, Kage. I meant beach. Have not been to Northern Thailand, yet. Waiting for my son to grow old enough to go to Tented Camp etc.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
The Naka Island at Starwood
Old May 2, 2012, 4:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Musken
Wow. Rates are going up. I would still spilt between Amanpuri and Trisara. Save money at Amanpuri by booking a non-view pavilion and spend much time at the beach and enjoying view from main areas and then splurge on a ocean view pool villa (possible to get an upgrade maybe by some TAs??) at Trisara.
^

No question!

Amanpuri for better food & beach .. Best gym with a view if you have time for it instead of the spa
If you have the time, stroll over - on the beach - to The Surin & have a meal there too

Should mention honeymoon when booking , there will be pleasant surprises
Old May 2, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
At Puri now after a few days at FS Tented Camp. I've stayed here a half dozen times and two or three times at Trisara.

I would definitely choose Puri. Nothing in Thailand comes close. The pool villas at Trisara are the best villas of any resort I've been to, but with the beach and beautiful pool(s) at Puri, you won't mind not having a pool pavilion. Spa is very nice at Trisara also, but other than the villas and the spa, Puri is much better in every respect.

That being said Trisara is really nice and if you ask, they sometimes can be very flexible on rates.

I like the ocean view pavilions at Puri much more than the garden view. If I was budget constrained, I would consider splitting between a garden pavillion at Puri and an Ocean View (pool?) pavilion at Trisara.

You can't really go wrong, my only advice would be to spend at least part of your time at Puri.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Seems like everyone loves the Amanpuri and Trisara and I am going to spend some time looking into them. Has anyone been able to get any significant discounts off their published rates?

Also, if you wanted to go one step down from there at a cheaper price point, what resorts would fall into that category and how do they stack up against each other?
Old May 3, 2012, 9:17 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by drdavidge
Seems like everyone loves the Amanpuri and Trisara and I am going to spend some time looking into them. Has anyone been able to get any significant discounts off their published rates?

Also, if you wanted to go one step down from there at a cheaper price point, what resorts would fall into that category and how do they stack up against each other?
For Trisara , do check with Anthony Lark.

At Amanpuri , if you are an Amanjunkie , book the lowest / garden pavilion & ( likely ) get upgraded

Then a step down? - there's The Surin next to Amanpuri - sharing the lovely beach.
They work ' closely ' together as Antonio S, the GM, was from Amanpuri .. As was Anthony - the pioneer.
Worthwhile to check it out .
( Can 't really comment on others, perhaps if you like ' crowds ', the JW Marriott has a range of decent restaurants, spa and pools to choose from.)

So it the order of stay can be Surin , Amanpuri then Trisara .

Another option is perhaps the RC at Krabi - closer to Aman standard.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:11 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
For less $, besides Saumi, The Sarojin in Khao Lak north of Phuket is popular with the UK honeymoon crowd.... not really on the North American radar. I don't think the other Phuket options are worth the compromise
Old May 3, 2012, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
For Trisara , do check with Anthony Lark.

At Amanpuri , if you are an Amanjunkie , book the lowest / garden pavilion & ( likely ) get upgraded

Then a step down? - there's The Surin next to Amanpuri - sharing the lovely beach.
They work ' closely ' together as Antonio S, the GM, was from Amanpuri .. As was Anthony - the pioneer.
Worthwhile to check it out .
( Can 't really comment on others, perhaps if you like ' crowds ', the JW Marriott has a range of decent restaurants, spa and pools to choose from.)

So it the order of stay can be Surin , Amanpuri then Trisara .

Another option is perhaps the RC at Krabi - closer to Aman standard.
Happen to have the contact info for Anthony?
Old May 3, 2012, 12:03 pm

Agree totally about Amanpuri and Trisara. However, if budget becomes a little tight, or even if you want something more relaxed on the beach, then how about Anthony Lark's new baby, The Boathouse. Anthony's ex-second in command, Marie-Laure Fleury is GM there and she is excellent. http://www.boathousephuket.com/

Oh, and avoid, at ALL COST, Naka Island - the food is inedible.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Agree totally about Amanpuri and Trisara. However, if budget becomes a little tight, or even if you want something more relaxed on the beach, then how about Anthony Lark's new baby, The Boathouse. Anthony's ex-second in command, Marie-Laure Fleury is GM there and she is excellent. http://www.boathousephuket.com/

Oh, and avoid, at ALL COST, Naka Island - the food is inedible.
Funny that you recommend The Boathouse, I asked Gallivanter's this morning for advise on something off the beaten track in June and she came up with that as well. In saying that when I went to check on the website the entire month of June is blocked out for bookings so I'm still waiting on a reply to my e-mail

We'll be staying at the Banyan Tree for the first 6 nights (I know, I know, but I want to try their Double Pool Villa's and like the spa, besides, our stay at Banyan Tree Al Wadi was actually quite enjoyable), Amanpuri is closed the entire month, we've been to Trisara twice already and wanted something new. Also thinking of Rayavadee perhaps.

Last edited by Euc-; May 3, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.