FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Peninsula or Mandarin Oriental in HKG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1341291-peninsula-mandarin-oriental-hkg.html)

gegarrenton Apr 30, 2012 10:51 am

Peninsula or Mandarin Oriental in HKG

I know there are plenty of threads on the merits of the various HKG hotels so bear with me, trying to get a feel of the merits of these two hotels specifically against each other. I spent about two days reading the other threads, but could only piece together bits and pieces on these two specifically. I usually stay at the Hyatt TST in Kowloon (which is not a bad hotel at all) but I am taking the missus and another couple, and we are looking for something a little more, and also to do something more classically HKG. We are looking for more refinement than tourist kitsch, so currently leaing away from Pen, but we will prob pop in for tea there either way.

Thanks for any and all input.

Cheers,
Graham

FOX85 Apr 30, 2012 1:02 pm

Which Mandarin Oriental and do you care about location?
The Pennisula I believe is a historical landmark and my experience at the Peninsula was good but not great. (avoid the afternoon tea, it is really bad).

Personally, the one I want to try out is The Landmark Mandarin Oriental (I have seen the hotel but never stayed there yet). There is also the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong which is suppose to be nice but I have yet to stay there.

Originally Posted by gegarrenton (Post 18486077)
I know there are plenty of threads on the merits of the various HKG hotels so bear with me, trying to get a feel of the merits of these two hotels specifically against each other. I spent about two days reading the other threads, but could only piece together bits and pieces on these two specifically. I usually stay at the Hyatt TST in Kowloon (which is not a bad hotel at all) but I am taking the missus and another couple, and we are looking for something a little more, and also to do something more classically HKG. We are looking for more refinement than tourist kitsch, so currently leaing away from Pen, but we will prob pop in for tea there either way.

Cheers,
Graham

gegarrenton Apr 30, 2012 1:40 pm

Good point, should have been more specific. I am looking at the Mandarin Oriental HK, not the Landmark.

FlyerEC Apr 30, 2012 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by gegarrenton (Post 18487180)
Good point, should have been more specific. I am looking at the Mandarin Oriental HK, not the Landmark.

^

Was in MOHK again last week, my ' home ' in HK ;)
Best be in harbour view room above 16 floor for better view.

Great restaurants to try , wonderful breakfasts too .. yum..
Spa :-:

It's definitely not touristy like the Pen , sadly , is now.

Enjoy & have a wonderful time in HK - just hope not in the heat & humidity of summer!

Larkin May 1, 2012 12:19 am

I prefer the Mandarin Oriental as I prefer to be on Hong Kong island for restaurants, shopping, etc. The Peninsula has great views back toward Hong Kong island but I find it too touristy and I don't care to stay in Kowloon. The in hotel restaurants are also better at the Mandarin, not to mention great places all around. Service is top notch IMO at both, but I would give the Mandarin the edge. I stayed for years there but must admit in the last 5 years have switched to the Four Seasons which is now my favorite. It has wonderful views, excellent service, good restaurants in the hotel and adjacent. Although I love the Mandarin I like the four seasons better today. I would skip the Pen, but that is me and due to location.

gegarrenton May 1, 2012 7:40 am

Great, thanks for the input, sort of backs up my feelings a bit. I do like Kowloon myself, but when traveling solo, I think being on the island will be better for my companions. Plus I'm sure we will hop a ferry over a few times.

vuittonsofstyle May 1, 2012 8:55 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton (Post 18486077)

Cheers,
Graham

The Pen is currently under refurbishment, at long last, so probably not a good choice. It is also very touristy these days - Kowloon having become the second best leisure option now that Hk island is so rich with opportunities. The MO Hong Kong is a great hotel. I'm not keen on the design of the lobby, but everything else is superb, with some of the best restaurants in HK.

MSPeconomist May 1, 2012 9:06 am

In March the renovations resulted in the newer tower being completely closed (except for elevator access to the pool and spa) with limited availability of room types in the main building. IIRC they said that sometime in the summer the work would switch with the tower being reopened and the main building rooms closed for renovation, which would continue through most of 2012. I believe they are also going to re-do some of the restaurants and public areas, which so far are untouched, but I didn't hear any details on this.

gegarrenton May 2, 2012 7:25 am

Thank everyone for input. Booking a pair of Harbour View rooms at the MO.

speedbird001 May 3, 2012 8:19 am

MO is more business oriented. With my wife, I would choose the FS or The Upper House. Another choice in Kowloon would be The Intercontinental.

gegarrenton May 3, 2012 8:36 am

Originally Posted by speedbird001 (Post 18506478)
MO is more business oriented. With my wife, I would choose the FS or The Upper House. Another choice ok Kowloon would be The Intercontinental.

Thanks for input. We are going to do two nights at the MO. I am honestly not a huge FS fan, nothing I can really put my finger on, but it just doesn't do it for me. We plan on a couple nights in Kowloon, will check out the IC. Any idea on how it compares to the Hyatt appreciated! I find the Hyatt to be a very consistently good place to stay, but wouldn't mind checking the IC out.

Larkin May 3, 2012 11:20 pm

IC in Kowloon has spectacular harbor views. Used to be the regent and since switch service has gone down, but the views are up close and personal incredible views. You must gt harbor view room if you stay here. I would take over Hyatt due to views. Not high up and far away, but in your face gorgeous views.

MSPeconomist May 3, 2012 11:26 pm

Another amazing view is from the new RC near the Kowloon airport express train station. It's a long walk to most of the Kowloon attractions, but it's an amazing hotel.

gegarrenton May 4, 2012 6:56 am

Thanks guys! The RC is a bit farther away than I would like, want to be in the action. Will look at the IC.

TRAVELSIG May 4, 2012 7:06 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton (Post 18512890)
Thanks guys! The RC is a bit farther away than I would like, want to be in the action. Will look at the IC.

RC and the W are in the same complex which, while convenient for the Airport Express and the Morgan Stanley/Credit Suisse offices, is in the middle of nowhere for anything else.

IC is a good choice however I don't know about the noise with the nearby huge construction project going on at the moment.

I would choose the Upper House as others have suggested.