Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Hangzhou

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Four Seasons Hangzhou

I didn't see a dedicated thread for this property - mods feel free to move this if I missed it.

The grounds and the facilities of this property are stunningly beautiful, a calm respite in the middle of a typically chaotic Chinese city. The "all you can eat" breakfast in the restaurant, while not a buffet, was excellent. Some of the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Unfortunately, we did not have a good overall experience. We had booked the lowest room category, Deluxe, via a room rate (the Spa Experience package) that offers an upgrade if available at check-in. We also booked through a Four Seasons Preferred Partner travel agent, which offers the same benefit. We arrived on a Friday evening exhausted after 36 hours of train travel and flights from Lhasa. Our only request was that we not be assigned the worst room in the house - which was exactly what we received. According to the staff, they were full that night, so no upgrade was available. Fine. But what was not fine was that the "Deluxe" room does not match the room description, which says that it "offers views of the traditional Chinese garden and pond." This was flatly inaccurate, as our only view was of a blank wall, which significantly detracted from the experience. A little bit of investigation revealed that there are only four rooms in the property that are actually categorized as "Deluxe," so guests are unlikely to actually experience this problem unless the property is completely full. Our room clearly had not seen a lot of use - there was something seriously wrong with the plumbing in the bathroom. Unless we poured water down the floor drain every few hours, there was a prominent cabbage-like sewer smell. We notified the front desk of this issue, but when asked if it could be fixed the only response was a giggle.

I spoke with the manager the next morning in an effort to resolve our problems, and was told that we simply could not be moved until the last night of our stay. I felt like I was bargaining in a bazaar - rather than a pro-active apology and sincere effort to help, several minutes of back and forth negotiation resulted only in a very small discount off the room rate and an extension of our included massages from 60 to 90 minutes. Even the latter was much less than it appeared - while the spa facilities were beautiful, my partner's masseur was untrained and the painful result left him literally bruised, departing the massage well before its scheduled conclusion.

I would not return.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: SPG, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by chazas
I didn't see a dedicated thread for this property - mods feel free to move this if I missed it.

The grounds and the facilities of this property are stunningly beautiful, a calm respite in the middle of a typically chaotic Chinese city. The "all you can eat" breakfast in the restaurant, while not a buffet, was excellent. Some of the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Unfortunately, we did not have a good overall experience. We had booked the lowest room category, Deluxe, via a room rate (the Spa Experience package) that offers an upgrade if available at check-in. We also booked through a Four Seasons Preferred Partner travel agent, which offers the same benefit. We arrived on a Friday evening exhausted after 36 hours of train travel and flights from Lhasa. Our only request was that we not be assigned the worst room in the house - which was exactly what we received. According to the staff, they were full that night, so no upgrade was available. Fine. But what was not fine was that the "Deluxe" room does not match the room description, which says that it "offers views of the traditional Chinese garden and pond." This was flatly inaccurate, as our only view was of a blank wall, which significantly detracted from the experience. A little bit of investigation revealed that there are only four rooms in the property that are actually categorized as "Deluxe," so guests are unlikely to actually experience this problem unless the property is completely full. Our room clearly had not seen a lot of use - there was something seriously wrong with the plumbing in the bathroom. Unless we poured water down the floor drain every few hours, there was a prominent cabbage-like sewer smell. We notified the front desk of this issue, but when asked if it could be fixed the only response was a giggle.

I spoke with the manager the next morning in an effort to resolve our problems, and was told that we simply could not be moved until the last night of our stay. I felt like I was bargaining in a bazaar - rather than a pro-active apology and sincere effort to help, several minutes of back and forth negotiation resulted only in a very small discount off the room rate and an extension of our included massages from 60 to 90 minutes. Even the latter was much less than it appeared - while the spa facilities were beautiful, my partner's masseur was untrained and the painful result left him literally bruised, departing the massage well before its scheduled conclusion.

I would not return.
Sorry about your bad experiences with the room.

How did you find this area overall? I'm deciding to go hear before our stay at Amanfayun for a couple of nights? Is there anything close by to discover besides the city itself? Is Amanfayun close enough so that one could see the sites without staying at FS? How were the other amenities in this hotel?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"all you can eat" breakfast in the restaurant, while not a buffet, was excellent.
made to order?

Deluxe...view was of a blank wall...four rooms in the property that are actually categorized as "Deluxe
http://www.1.fourseasons.com/pdfs/ha...ence_guide.pdf
http://ec.biz.fourseasons.com/pdfs/h...ence_guide.pdf

10 - deluxe "garden and pond" "1st and 2nd floors"
41 - premier "garden and pond" "1st and 2nd floors"
20 - grand premier "garden and pond" "1st floor"
2 - jr suite "garden" "1st and 2nd floors"
1 - lotus suite "lake and garden" "second floor"
3 - lagoon suite "lake OR garden" "1st floor"
1 - lake suite "lake and garden" "1st floor"
1 - governor villa "garden"
1 - ambassador villa "garden"
1 - presidential villa "garden"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
made to order?
Yes, and quite delicious.

http://www.1.fourseasons.com/pdfs/ha...ence_guide.pdf
http://ec.biz.fourseasons.com/pdfs/h...ence_guide.pdf

10 - deluxe "garden and pond" "1st and 2nd floors"
41 - premier "garden and pond" "1st and 2nd floors"
20 - grand premier "garden and pond" "1st floor"
2 - jr suite "garden" "1st and 2nd floors"
1 - lotus suite "lake and garden" "second floor"
3 - lagoon suite "lake OR garden" "1st floor"
1 - lake suite "lake and garden" "1st floor"
1 - governor villa "garden"
1 - ambassador villa "garden"
1 - presidential villa "garden"
The front desk told me that there are only four rooms that they actually categorize as deluxe. Maybe what they meant was, only four rooms that don't truly qualify as even deluxe according to the room category description. In any event, ours didn't.

Originally Posted by aesla11

How did you find this area overall? I'm deciding to go hear before our stay at Amanfayun for a couple of nights? Is there anything close by to discover besides the city itself? Is Amanfayun close enough so that one could see the sites without staying at FS? How were the other amenities in this hotel?
I didn't go to Amanfayun, so I can't comment on that. The FS is directly on West Lake, near the "Impressions" light show and some of the attractions, but opposite most of the eating and shopping. The quieter side, but no side is really quiet on the weekend - there were hordes of people. I'd suggest visiting Hangzhou on a weekday, if possible. That said, the FS grounds were quiet and beautiful.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
I found the FS Hangzhou quite generic in an awful location within an extremely crowded area. Stayed at Amanfayun and the experience was superior by far (althuogh Amanfayun is not among my favorite Amans)
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I didn't love Amanfayun, either, but Hangzhou is a great city and I look forward to returning to try the FS.

In response to your question, aesla11, Amanfayun is a bit out of town, probably a 20-minute taxi ride to the West Lake waterfront, so no big deal given how spread out the area is. Besides the temples on-site and a small tourist village, there isn't much to walk to from Amanfayun. The Four Seasons, while closer, is also not in the main lakefront area, so if you want to step out of your hotel in a pretty environment on the lake and in the city, then the Shangri-La, Hyatt, or other hotels are closer.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:39 am

Having stayed at both FS Hangzhou and Amanfayun, I much prefer Amanfayun. FS has lovely grounds but the rooms are very corporate in style - more like a city hotel. 80% of guests are Chinese so international guests are in the minority. Also, 99% of staff is Chinese, so no matter how hard FS try to train them, they are not up to the usual FS level, IMHO.
The spa looks incredible but I agree that therapists are very amateurish, whereas at Amanfayun therapists are extremely well trained and very caring.
I know that the lighting can be very dim at Amanfayun, but in every other respect it is a magical and very authentic experience. Getting to Impressions on West Lake is easy from Amanfayun - you don't have to stay at FS to go there.
I also think the food at Amanfayun is far superior to FS, where the all-day-dining breakfast & lunch buffets are a scrum.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Having stayed at both FS Hangzhou and Amanfayun, I much prefer Amanfayun. FS has lovely grounds but the rooms are very corporate in style - more like a city hotel. 80% of guests are Chinese so international guests are in the minority. Also, 99% of staff is Chinese, so no matter how hard FS try to train them, they are not up to the usual FS level, IMHO.
The spa looks incredible but I agree that therapists are very amateurish, whereas at Amanfayun therapists are extremely well trained and very caring.
I know that the lighting can be very dim at Amanfayun, but in every other respect it is a magical and very authentic experience. Getting to Impressions on West Lake is easy from Amanfayun - you don't have to stay at FS to go there.
I also think the food at Amanfayun is far superior to FS, where the all-day-dining breakfast & lunch buffets are a scrum.
Amanfayun design is more authentic, and like lives in village. FS is a city hotel, the design definitely more grand and corporate. Tip: Book Grand Premier Room category above in FS, the view and room size is much better than lower category of room. Majority of the guests in both hotels are Chinese and the staffs as well.

If only a weekend getaway, I will only choose Amanfayun and it's about 20 mins to the West lake. You have to take hotel car all the time, the taxi driver usually have no idea where is Aman.

Longer trip, I may split the stay. 2 nights in FS and 2 nights in Aman. When stay at FS: Six harmonies pagoda, West lake, Impression West Lake Show and go around city. The Chinese restaurant in FS is really good, I visit there every time and less crowed compare to Hyatt.

Aman: Temple trail, the tea house is a must. Just stay there and relax !
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
A small provocation -- and I've never been to Amanfayun! -- but I've got to question the use of the word "authentic" in the above posts. Authentically what? Authentically great resort, I can accept... historical reconstructions that are accurate to one degree or another like Colonial Williamsburg or any good museum, I'm OK with that too.

But an authentically living Chinese mountain village, I doubt it. The pictures certainly don't look like any of the dozens of villages I have visited over the last 25 years, and I'm pretty sure they didn't look like that in the Tang Dynasty either.

Between marketing device and philosophical conundrum, "authentic" can be anything that is experienced as what it is... I'm just saying, it doesn't sound right in this context.

Last edited by taipeipeter; Apr 21, 2012 at 11:34 pm
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by taipeipeter
A small provocation -- and I've never been to Amanfayun! -- but I've got to question the use of the word "authentic" in the above posts. Authentically what? Authentically great resort, I can accept... historical reconstructions that are accurate to one degree or another like Colonial Williamsburg or any good museum, I'm OK with that too.

But an authentically living Chinese mountain village, I doubt it. The pictures certainly don't look like any of the dozens of villages I have visited over the last 25 years, and I'm pretty sure they didn't look like that in the Tang Dynasty either.

Between marketing device and philosophical conundrum, "authentic" can be anything that is experienced as what it is... I'm just saying, it doesn't sound right in this context.
There are all different kind of villages in China. I would correct Amanfayun is quite authentic in term of tea plantation village, not locate in mountain at all. My family owned few tea plantations in Taiwan and China, I would said they did keep all of the traditional houses and its surrounding. Hence, they don't use any architect in the particular project, the interiors designed by Jaya Ibrahim. All the small roads to the temples are remain the same, the opening GM Ian White said they try very hard to keep the original site.

Amanfayun is an authentically great resort and authentically living in the tea plantation village. By the way Amanfayun is style of architecture actually from Southern Song Dynasty.

Aman Lijiang will open at the end of this year. I don't feel like living in the ancient town either. I would only judge when I really visit Lijiang one day. Aman is really good in creating lifetime experience, nothing to compare from photos.

Amanfayun

Aman Lijiang taken from the actual site.

mockup room

Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:17 am

True - Amanfayun really IS authentic. When everything was despoiled during the Red Guard era, when trees were pulled up and historic buildings destroyed, the village of Fayun was preserved because many dignitaries lived here. It is not a facsimile - it is the real thing, with interiors enhanced by Jiya Ibrahim.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

irwin8417

did you find source or save those pics from here >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post18000404

either way ^^

Originally Posted by irwin8417
I have more photos, this is the new mock up room.
so presumably direct from same source. interesting i assumed Amanjunkies was asked to take pics down.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 22, 2012 at 1:09 pm
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:46 am

the village of Fayun was preserved because many dignitaries lived here. It is not a facsimile - it is the real thing, with interiors enhanced by Jiya Ibrahim.
The owner of the Amanfayun and Aman Lijiang are actually from Beijing, "Government related". They are also planning another project in Sanya.

irwin8417
did you find source or save those pics from here >
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:35 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
True - Amanfayun really IS authentic. When everything was despoiled during the Red Guard era, when trees were pulled up and historic buildings destroyed, the village of Fayun was preserved because many dignitaries lived here. It is not a facsimile - it is the real thing, with interiors enhanced by Jiya Ibrahim.
Thank you for the heads up, I will be there finally in two weeks time and hope it will be as real as Amangalla - so far my favourite Aman.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by irwin8417
The owner of the Amanfayun and Aman Lijiang are actually from Beijing, "Government related". They are also planning another project in Sanya.

which photo ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.