FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Off Topic: Luxury hotel stocks? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1337546-off-topic-luxury-hotel-stocks.html)

bluebird09 Apr 19, 2012 8:13 am

Off Topic: Luxury hotel stocks?

Hi,

this is some kind of off topic here but did anyone invest in hotel, airline etc. stocks?

I just found out that Bil Gates holds 42% of the Four Seasons (gone private in 2007) the other part is held by Kingdom holdings, not public either unless you are living in Dubai.

I wonder where to invest :D:confused:

beta1607 Apr 19, 2012 9:47 am

I think that a publicly traded company would have too many outside pressures for short term quarterly results to be able to achieve and maintain what people on this forum consider true luxury without cutting corners and service becoming robotic in nature.

Consider how poorly the world's largest "luxury brand" LVMH is regarded by some on this forum or the dissapointment expressed when a luxury hotel joins Starwood and Ritz-Carlton partnered with Marriot.

bluebird09 Apr 19, 2012 10:26 am

That is indeed quite a good answer. But then again, if you look at all those brands included in LVMH, I'm not d'accord .

Dom Pérignon, Chateau d'Yquem , in cosmetics Acqua di parma, jewlery: Bulgari, De Beers.. that all is LVMH, too. ;)

And Hermès? Come on, that was a quite good stock last year :-)

Shangri-La Apr 19, 2012 11:43 am

Originally Posted by beta1607 (Post 18422956)

Consider how poorly the world's largest "luxury brand" LVMH is regarded by some on this forum

Is there a thread on this? What's wrong with LVMH?

beta1607 Apr 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Shangri-La (Post 18423694)
Is there a thread on this? What's wrong with LVMH?

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 16564307)
It was always the sort of place where you had to book one of the suites as the rooms are tiny with too much Antonio Citterio furniture, but it sounds as though service has really gone down. Pity, as the garden in the summer is delightful. Another one to cross off the list, although I had already done this after hearing that LVMH Group (Cheval Blanc etc) had taken over.

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 16984368)
Lord, my chosen moniker - Vuittonsofstyle - was meant to be ironic, but now I wish I had chosen something less combative, especially as LVMH is mooted to be bidding for Aman. Pity I could not have taken Amanjunkie or something similar.:eek:

And of course this essay from Wharton titled "Illusion Not Quality, The Transformation Of The Luxury Niche Into A Global Mass Market":

Originally Posted by Mass marketing has thus permanently changed the meaning, purpose and function of luxury. You can still pay top dollar for designer goods, but you are most likely paying more for a label than for luxury. Luxury is no longer a private, indelible, privileged experience. It is public, superficial, forever changing and infinitely available, which means it's not luxury at all. Today, what we are buying into when we buy a luxury brand is not an experience but an image, not quality but illusion. What we are buying into is the aura of the brand.

We know this, of course. We acknowledge it every time we refer to brand name items as status symbols. And luxury brands know we know this, which is why they plaster their logos so relentlessly over their products. "When you look at [Louis Vuitton
," LVMH designer Marc Jacobs remarks, "you see it is mass-produced luxury. Vuitton is a status symbol. It's not about hiding the logo. It's about being a bit of a show-off." Thomas is precise and cutting in her discussion of luxury's newly democratized landscape. "Vuitton is the McDonald's of the luxury industry," she states. "It's far and away the leader, brags of millions sold, has stores at all the top tourist sites -- usually steps away from a McD's -- and has a logo as recognizable as the Golden Arches."