Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

New Delhi-Club Level hotel question

Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)

Hi,

Will be going to New Delhi for tourism in a few weeks, and I'm torn between 4 hotels to stay at in their club floor:
1. Taj Mahal
2. Le Meridien
3. Taj Palace
4. ITC Maurya

Was looking at Le Meridien mostly because i'm SPG Gold, but a friend of mine has raved about the Taj Mahal.

I have looked around and have seen a lot of mention about some other properties, but would love some feedback on these 4 specific properties as they compare to each other.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:37 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I have stayed at the Club level on all 4, and my personal ranking is:

1. ITC Maurya - in the ITC One Wing (not the "Towers" or the "Executive Club")
1. Taj Mahal - small lounge, but very good service. Especially nice are the freshly squeezed fruit juices available all day, in a variety of seasonal choices.
3. Taj Palace - newly renovated, but somehow seems a little cold compared to the Taj Mahal.
4. Le Meridien - an average business hotel lounge.

(Note that the first two are a tie at 1, and not a typo!)
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Thanks AJLondon, I guess that Taj it is (I think it looked to be more central, or am I wrong? Since I've never been to Delhi before i believe central is better).
Thanks,
Mike
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:23 am

Yes, Taj is very central. and in a very nice leafy part of Delhi which can be a pleasant oasis in a bustling city. Nicer spa and pool area too. And significantly better F&B options that are some of the best in the city. (Varq and Wasabi are two favorites of mine.)

le Meridien is also in the central business district albeit a much busier bustling area (Connaught place).

Taj Palace and Maurya are next to each other in the diplomatic area. Closer to the airport though.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by mdt76
Hi,

Will be going to New Delhi for tourism in a few weeks, and I'm torn between 4 hotels to stay at in their club floor:
1. Taj Mahal
2. Le Meridien
3. Taj Palace
4. ITC Maurya

Was looking at Le Meridien mostly because i'm SPG Gold, but a friend of mine has raved about the Taj Mahal.

I have looked around and have seen a lot of mention about some other properties, but would love some feedback on these 4 specific properties as they compare to each other.

Thanks,
Mike
The Taj Mahal has great service and restaurants, but the rooms and suites are ready for a big refurb. I still love it though. But if you stay on the Club Floor of Taj Mahal Palace, then you get the best of all worlds - very good restaurants and really well designed, up to date rooms and suites.

I would never stay at Le Meridien or the ITC.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
You should get the SPG privilages at the ITC Maurya too.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The Taj Mahal has great service and restaurants, but the rooms and suites are ready for a big refurb. I still love it though. But if you stay on the Club Floor of Taj Mahal Palace, then you get the best of all worlds - very good restaurants and really well designed, up to date rooms and suites.

I would never stay at Le Meridien or the ITC.
Only issue is whether OP wants to stay in Chankyapuri or not - it is a bit desolate. I think of the choices, either of the Taj properties is more preferable. I still find the Taj Palace too much of a conference hotel, and so on balance, I would take the Mansingh, though its club room is a little tight.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by grumbler
Only issue is whether OP wants to stay in Chankyapuri or not - it is a bit desolate. I think of the choices, either of the Taj properties is more preferable. I still find the Taj Palace too much of a conference hotel, and so on balance, I would take the Mansingh, though its club room is a little tight.
Yup, I would agree.

Infact, I am at the hotel right now (Taj Mansingh) and the lounge at breakfast this morning was rather busy. Not packed, but busy enough that the couches with coffee tables at either end were also set up for breakfast service.

And, FWIW, I wasn't impressed last night by seeing a bloke in bermuda shorts and spa slippers during cocktail hours in the lounge. A quite word from the lounge manager to advise him of lounge dress etiquette would have been rather appropriate I felt.

On a more positive note, I really love the executive suites in this hotel with the dining area in the covered airconditioned balcony area. ^

And the spa has been completely redone in appearance as well in the last three months (between my previous stay and now.) The dark woods are all gone and it is now a rather more airy off-white shaded wood and paint all over. Feels much brighter. The men's changing and locker area for the wet spa is still the same diabolically small room though. Three people can barely stand in it at the same time!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
I prefer the Oberoi near Humayan's tomb. This summer I am trying the new Guragon Oberoi for a night too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.