Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best hotel in Amsterdam?

Best hotel in Amsterdam?

Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:54 am

Amsterdam Hotels

Need a recommendation for a property in Amsterdam for the opening night of our 25th wedding anniversary trip. Only staying 2 nights before a river cruise, never been to Amsterdam before
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
I spend a few nights a week in Amsterdam.

It really depends on what you want?

Boutique, old school lux or chic.

Most of the big brands are represented.

I stayed at the IC Amstel which is super traditional and like an old palace with a nice pool and sauna steam room area. The rooms through are very traditional and can feel like being in the 1930s. That said beds are very comfy and the river view rooms are very very nice. The location is also a good thing.

Hyatt have the Andaz which is ultra chic and trendy and not to everyone's taste. It is also in a different area of town but also close to some great areas. Free wine at 1700-1900 which is nice but a different property to the IC.

Waldorf Astoria is also a nice property but have not stayed there yet although I have been in.

I think you could be better helped if you mentioned the sort of hotel you would like. Amsterdam has some crazy properties.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:44 am
Suspended

New school and for non-1st timers: Conservatorium. (The building itself isn't new - but the rooms are a more contemporary design).

Old school and for 1st timers: probably the Grand. Maybe a higher cat. room at the Amstel.

My .02 cents..

EDIT/FYI: worth noting that the Amstel is giving away tickets to the Rijk and the Hermitage for 2 OR free canal ride for 2 on Virtuoso bookings. The latter option - the canals - probably won't be of much use to you, as you're going on a river cruise anyway
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Have a look at this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...amsterdam.html
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:49 pm

What about the Hotel de l' Europe? Anyone been there since the renovation?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedbird001
What about the Hotel de l' Europe? Anyone been there since the renovation?
Originally Posted by vincentb89
As for De l'Europe, it's one of my favorite hotels in Europe.

Service is on par with what we call luxury on this forum but that's to be expected with the price they charge and the size of the hotel (close to a hundred rooms so you won't find any large scale convention bothering patrons). It's close to a "boutique" feel and they remember you. They've done wonders when it comes to small touches (ex : the front desk opening without asking anything the terrace of one of the banquet rooms at 4 in the morning in order to enjoy with a friend the canal and them delivering room service there which remains a good memory up to today
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Just booked the Grand Hotel Amrath for my son & daughter in law next month with Travelocity using discount "save12" -you should look at
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...elzoo-etc.html

For me- I go more upscale and use a Virtuoso agent/property.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks to all for your suggestions - I should have stated our interests/likes to help Maybe best to tell you where we like to stay - In London we stay at The Stafford, we like the quiet courtyard in the middle of everything and the personal service at the bar and restaurant - In San Francisco we like the Ritz Carlton - we like the club floor there and the recognition and attention they always provide us, In Berlin we loved The Regent , it had a great feel to it - IN LA we always stay at The Beverly Wilshire, in the old building in a suite, it just is romantic for us when they bring the strawberries and brown sugar to us when we check in ,In New York a small hotel call The Iroquois on 44th Street, they have very nice suites the price of regular rooms at the St Regis, but for a special treat every once in a while we love a stay at the St Regis there,
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jandj
Thanks to all for your suggestions - I should have stated our interests/likes to help Maybe best to tell you where we like to stay - In London we stay at The Stafford, we like the quiet courtyard in the middle of everything and the personal service at the bar and restaurant - In San Francisco we like the Ritz Carlton - we like the club floor there and the recognition and attention they always provide us, In Berlin we loved The Regent , it had a great feel to it - IN LA we always stay at The Beverly Wilshire, in the old building in a suite, it just is romantic for us when they bring the strawberries and brown sugar to us when we check in ,In New York a small hotel call The Iroquois on 44th Street, they have very nice suites the price of regular rooms at the St Regis, but for a special treat every once in a while we love a stay at the St Regis there,
I would then suggest the Dylan for you. But note that nowhere in Amsterdam will you get world-class service as you would in London or Bev Hills.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 7:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
I would then suggest the Dylan for you. But note that nowhere in Amsterdam will you get world-class service as you would in London or Bev Hills.
I think the Conservatorium is coming closest to that standard, imo.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I think the Conservatorium is coming closest to that standard, imo.
Agree with this, and I would go on to add that I think the Conservatorium is great even for a first-time visitor.

Located close to the museums, but within an easy walk of the canals, it's a wonderful location for anyone who enjoys being "close enough" without being buried in the midst of tourists.

Plus, the building is fantastic, and suites are lovely.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 2:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Agree with this, and I would go on to add that I think the Conservatorium is great even for a first-time visitor.

Located close to the museums, but within an easy walk of the canals, it's a wonderful location for anyone who enjoys being "close enough" without being buried in the midst of tourists.

Plus, the building is fantastic, and suites are lovely.
^
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:58 am

I like Okura, very solid albeit not at the center of AMS. For food, hard to beat...they have Yamazato with 1 Michelin star and Ciel Bleu with 2 Michelin stars. The other casual restaurant also got Bib gourmand from Michelin. Tram stops are nearby too.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:53 am
Suspended

Conservatorium Hotel according to me !!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I love the Conservatorium as well for location and great design by Piero Lissoni.

I love the Okura for the atmosphere, the quality of service and the restaurant.

And I love the Amstel for the pool, the restaurant and the smiling service (actually my home when in Amsterdam).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.