Wiki Posts
Search

Setai Miami Beach Under New Management!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
one of two setai cofounders is gone, and setai has >
x miami (owned by lehman? NYBanker suggests lehman foreclosed)
- club mgmt and license - 40 broad
- license - 400 fifth avenue
(if lehman owns miami, did they get ownership of brand as well?)
did ghm know this was coming? i find it hard to believe ghm would have started a brand battle if they had no rights... regardless, this timing (mar 2012) is clearly not coincidental.

1 - ghm announces "setai air" (and "setai yacht")
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

2 - ghm brands mumbai setai
http://www.omsaiestate.com/ghm-to-de...013-in-mumbai/
ghm announced mumbai last year
http://www.expresshospitality.com/20...market01.shtml

i see at least one trademark page saying lehman owns at least part of setai brand

seems hard to believe ted wright would still be heading up setai mgmt co
(and he only became that after being hired as san diego GM which fell through)
(so not sure whether setai was planning to manage, or they poached him)

John Conroy left, but in addition to Jonathan Breene there is his brother Michael

they did stop selling at 2001 Collins AVE >
http://www.condhotel.com/news-condo-...ondo-hotel.pdf
identifies lehman as "main lender"
that article and AirJunkie do discuss slowdown of club way before financial crisis

but AirJunkie's post on shift to licensing is post lehman BK >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post11360304

http://ttgasia.com/article.php?article_id=3400

Adrian Zecha, who is non-executive chairman and director of GHM, said “GHM created the Setai concept and experience, leading the hotel to achieve numerous industry recognitions.”

“Under GHM management, The Setai South Beach has provided a strong resident experience that has been key to maintaining and increasing the value of the individual properties, creating record breaking prices for the property sales,” he added.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Setai Travel Report

We arrived at the Setai on April 5, ie just 5 days after the management shake up. When our car stopped in front of the entrance, I was quite impressed to see three armed state troopers guarding the door and a police car parked right next to the hotel. The "Setai" panel had been momentarily removed from the wall while someone was doing a paint job (I can only guess here, but he was probably painting over the GHM logo.)

The Room:
Our room wasn't ready yet so we decided to go to the Beach Bar for a late lunch. When our room was finally available, I was quite disappointed to learn that the hotel was completely sold out and that I therefore would not receive an upgrade (I booked through Amex FHR). The City View Suite we got was exactly as I expected it to be, having previously asked a few questions about it here on FT.
While quite large in terms of square footage (about 590 sq ft), it doesn't feel big because there's too much furniture in it (too many sofas, a bathtub in the middle of the room). While the room is nicely decorated and has an upscale "feel", I wasn't crazy about it because it is definitely too dark. There's no real bathroom, but rather two wash basins on either side of the entry door. Even with all lights on, you don't really see yourself in the mirror in full detail. The shower stall is completely black and quite small. Another very annoying thing is that the blackouts at the windows cannot be operated by a remote, which means that you have to crawl over the sofa to raise them in the morning. There is no iPod docking station and the TV is definitely too small. To sum it up, the room is reasonably nice but neither very practical nor does it give you that "suite" feeling (especially because of the various issues with the (lacking) bathroom).

Overall Rating: Average

The Food:
The breakfast buffet offers a very large choice, both on the sweet and on the sour side. Weather permitting, you can have your breakfast in the courtyard. I particularly enjoyed to sit on the sofas by the pond. For lunch, you essentially have three options: at the Beach Bar (largest selection), at the Pool and at the Beach (much smaller selection). I tried all three and while the food is always good, it is not spectacular (especially the snacks at the Beach are really nothing special at all). I never had dinner at the Restaurant or the Grill, so I can't comment on this subject.

Overall Rating: Good. (Great for Breakfast)

The Pool & The Beach:
The pool area is very nice and comprises three different pools, each with a different temperature. The lounge chairs are wide and very comfortable. There's always some lounge music playing in the background, which is OK if you're on a lounge chair, but definitely annoying if you choose a bed because those are situated close to the speakers and the music is therefore too loud (at least for my taste).
The beach is nice as well, with the same, wide lounge chairs. You get complimentary bottled water and small spritzers. Sand and water quality is good and the beach is reasonably clean.

Overall Rating: Good to Great

The Gym & Spa:
The gym is very small, much too small in fact for a hotel of that size.
I never used the Spa so I can't comment on it.

Overall Rating (Gym): Below Average

The Service:
Staff at the restaurants and at the pool is mostly Asian and always very friendly. Occasional shortcomings are made up by a very friendly attitude. I've read on FT that some guests found the staff to be snotty or arrogant, which is something I definitely can't confirm.
The concierge is very friendly and efficient, both in terms of advice and in terms of execution.
An assistant manager from Switzerland who will recognize himself should he ever read this was the person I was most in touch with and he really contributed to making my stay enjoyable.

On a sidenote, I had a very negative experience with some service and management aspects of the hotel when my fiancée reacted very badly to a dish she ate at the pool and had to be treated by paramedics who came to our room. I won't dwell on this subject because it is not relevant to most if not all readers of this report, it's just that it severly tainted my experience of the hotel, to the point where if asked right now if I'd consider to go back the answer would probably be no..

Overall Rating: Good (again, the food-related incident I was confronted with is not taken into account here)

The Guests:
As mentioned earlier the hotel was fully booked when I was there (it was Easter / Passover).
I was quite surprised by the fact that more than half of the guests were European and there were a whole lot of small children. Of all the SoBe hotels I considered the Setai was clearly the one which emerged as the least family-oriented, which is why I thought this point worth mentioning.

Overall Impression:
It's a nice property, but in my view you have to stay in the Tower (and thus be ready to spend over 1000$ a night) to really enjoy it. While the finish of the Art Deco Building rooms is nice, I think that they're definitely too dark. I also don't get the point of a bathtub in the middle of a room that has a wooden floor and a TV that's right above the tub so you can't even watch it while you're taking a bath. The missing bathroom (there's only a dark shower stall) is also less than optimal.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:22 pm
CMV

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Gold, UA Gold
Hotel pool is on the cover of this month's Virtuoso Life magazine and there is a short write up in article re City Getaways. "Adrian Zecha . . . made the 75 rooms and 50 suites the height of minimalist chic . . . ."
Old May 2, 2012, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks JohnRain ^

re virtuoso life >

for may/june >
3/1/2012 ad space close
3/15/2012 ad files due
(3/31/2012 mgmt change)
4/23/2012 mail date

cover http://www.virtuosolife.com/LocalRes...images/307.jpg
article http://www.virtuosolife.com/hidden/a...5-87e5ebe33b1b
ROMANTICS
Check in: The Setai does romance better than practically any place in Miami. Consider its signature couples spa treatment – a 60-minute Ancient Balinese Massage for two that culminates with Champagne and canapés and a soak in an oversize terrazzo bath filled with rose petals ($612). Outside, three infinity-edge pools, heated to 75, 85, and 95 degrees, have hedged-in areas for optimum privacy. Adrian Zecha, of Amanresorts fame, made the 75 rooms and 50 suites the height of minimalist chic with dark woods and black granite. Doubles from $575, including breakfast daily and a $100 spa credit.

Table for two: A pillowy banquette is just the right amount of cozy to enjoy hotel chef David Werly’s award-winning Asian cuisine at The Restaurant at Setai.

Ultimate indulgence: The Setai offers a private Champagne tasting with caviar for two with the head sommelier in the wine cellar, followed by dinner ($4,990). Typically uncorked: Krug Brut, Clos du Mesnil 1998; Krug Rosé; and Krug Brut, Clos d’Ambonnay 1996.
no mention of service/ghm

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm
Old Dec 1, 2012, 3:54 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Thumbs up Stellar stay

Just want to give a summary of my absolutely stellar stay at The Setai Miami early November.

Well, as most of you know I am a great fan of Setai's former sister property The Datai in Langkawi, Malaysia (thanks again, Adrian Zecha ^) therefore I easily got in love with the Setai's similar modern Asian style and the tranquil courtyard with clear lines and its darker style. I love the location at the beachfront and its close proximity to Lincoln Rd. Still, the area around the property feels very relaxed and the Art Deco Building facing Collins Ave. fits nicely into SoBe architecture. Good public parking and bike rental next door.

Room: Received a Courtyard Studio at the Art Deco Building on the 4th floor as booked but with some nice sea view. Fortunately the bathtub was located in the bathroom and not in the living room. Very comfortable Dux bed with nice linens. Rooms are on the darker side which I liked though. Asprey bathroom amenities. Room was very quiet due to the courtyard location and no noise whatsoever from the hallway as the room foyer has a sliding door to separate it from the living/bedroom area. Housekeeping was excellent. We hardly noticed them, cleaning was very good. Received a complimentary bottle of Tattinger champagne along with macarons during the middle of our stay for no obvious reason which was a nice treat (thanks, zigzag for your help ^).

Food: Breakfast buffet is simply stunning. A great choice of cold and hot dishes and everything of very high quality. Service was extremely friendly, professional but genuine. Majority of service staff were US people and they easily matched service of their counterparts in the best Asian properties !^ Just perfect !! Having breakfast in the courtyard is bliss and a great and happy way to start a day.

Did use room service once. Food was very good, service friendly, delivery right on time as promised on the phone.

Beach: Clean, wide and very well serviced with friendly attendants, nice beach chairs, spritzer, water bottle, cold towels. Very relaxing. Beach food was very good as well. Pleasant service.

Pools: Didn't use them but they looked great. One pool was maintained and closed during our stay. Was always greeted by enthusiastic pool staff on my way to the beach.

Service: Stunning. Never encountered a single arrogant or bad-minded staff member. Everyone from bellman, restaurant staff, housekeeping, beach and pool service to concierge was genuinely friendly, very professional and caring. I always felt very comfortable and welcomed. I.e. restaurant bookings at other locations through concierge were reconfirmed in writing and the paper message was delivered to my room in no time (and quietly slipped under the door). As I heard mixed reports on staff attitude from different sources beforehand my expectations weren't the highest ones but their performance easily contradicted any bad reviews. Although reluctant to make such kind of comparison but they reminded me much more of Asian Aman service than of anything else. It was the ice on a very very tasty cake. Well done !

Verdict: The Setai surpassed all our expectations easily. We felt relaxed and welcomed, they treated us very good all the time. Every staff member, really everybody I encountered was extremely friendly. No attitude, no faults. Not one. Wow is all I can say. I stayed there for 5 nights and could have stayed much much longer. I missed it already when I arrived at my next stop, the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. Will be back !
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
we had dinner there recently and thought it was very good!
I'm not surprised at your treatment,as in the restaurant they were certainly very attentive.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:36 pm

Bumping this thread to ask if anyone has stayed recently?

I loved this hotel under GHM management, obviously much has happened since Lehman Brothers Holdings made GHM leave in what seemed a very sketchy hostile takeover. New management was brought in - Trevi. To me, if anything, they were more of a consulting company. New GM, who seemed to be doing well. Meanwhile, GHM won the court case against Lehman and has been cleared of claims of mismanagement. Fast forward to 2015: Trevi is gone, there is a new owner in the form of two fashion families: Nakash Holdings and the von Furstenberg family. But who manages the place? Is the hotel running on auto-pilot? Has anyone stayed recently and can comment?

I get the feeling the Setai always has been (and always will be) about the residences more than the hotel. It's been a while since I last stayed, but I liked it a lot (as long as you manage to stay in the tower, as rooms in the Art Deco building are dark and have an odd floor plan). The pools were nice, it felt like a resort, F&B was great.

But today? Not sure. I doubt it's a reliable option. There's only so many changes and drama staff can take before they move on. And many have moved on. Not sure if quality can persist in this whole dynamic. The restaurant is still a scene and seems to be doing well in SoBe fashion. What about the hotel?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scented
Bumping this thread to ask if anyone has stayed recently?

I loved this hotel under GHM management, obviously much has happened since Lehman Brothers Holdings made GHM leave in what seemed a very sketchy hostile takeover. New management was brought in - Trevi. To me, if anything, they were more of a consulting company. New GM, who seemed to be doing well. Meanwhile, GHM won the court case against Lehman and has been cleared of claims of mismanagement. Fast forward to 2015: Trevi is gone, there is a new owner in the form of two fashion families: Nakash Holdings and the von Furstenberg family. But who manages the place? Is the hotel running on auto-pilot? Has anyone stayed recently and can comment?

I get the feeling the Setai always has been (and always will be) about the residences more than the hotel. It's been a while since I last stayed, but I liked it a lot (as long as you manage to stay in the tower, as rooms in the Art Deco building are dark and have an odd floor plan). The pools were nice, it felt like a resort, F&B was great.

But today? Not sure. I doubt it's a reliable option. There's only so many changes and drama staff can take before they move on. And many have moved on. Not sure if quality can persist in this whole dynamic. The restaurant is still a scene and seems to be doing well in SoBe fashion. What about the hotel?
PM'd you
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:41 pm

I stay every November and have done for the last 4 years in a row. To be honest, I couldn't comment massively on what has changed, as I rarely spend any time in the hotel and simply use it to sleep in. Often with most hotels I stay in, I could write a massive report on it and what I love/dislike, but with the Setai the word I'd strangely use is just "stable". It feels like a safe option to me to know what I'm getting when I stay there, so I'd rather stay again and will this coming November.

It seems consistent in the quality of the food though, as breakfast is just amazing (especially with AMEX, where it's free) and the dinner options are quite frankly brilliant too. I use it as the default option in South Beach, as I don't go there for the night life and want the peace and quiet that it offers. I managed to get food poisoning from another restaurant last time I stayed there and the staff were incredibly tentative and looked after me whilst I was feeling like the world was collapsing in on me.

If the Setai existed in London, I wouldn't go to it, but in South Beach I'm quite content with it.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Seems like there are two new Setai hotels in Israel (Jaffa and Tiberias).

https://en.thesetaihotel.co.il/setai-tel-aviv-hotel

Who currently owns the brand?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by damaxer91
Seems like there are two new Setai hotels in Israel (Jaffa and Tiberias).

https://en.thesetaihotel.co.il/setai-tel-aviv-hotel

Who currently owns the brand?
Weird! I had no idea about these. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Looking at some of the initial reviews on TripAdvisor (which I normally pay no attention to)
and oh my. Sounds worth staying far away!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._District.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.