Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels In New York

Luxury Hotels In New York

Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by the_outcast
I'm looking for advice / recommendations for a good Christmas hotel in New York. I know it's early to be talking about Christmas but I like to book in advance!

I have stayed in the full gamut of lodgings in New York, from hostels on the edge of Harlem to the Ritz, Peninsula and Surrey (my favourite). Looking for something that should be very seasonal and ideally does a good Christmas lunch / dinner.

I am leaning towards the South Central Park Area but open to others also, like UES or Soho.

I know a lot on here use Virtuoso and others, but I tend to book on Expedia a lot and just pay for the class of room I want. Right now, with my flights included, I can get the MO for about $600 a night.

Anyone have any better suggestions than that?
If you like The Surrey, then I would suggest The Greenwich in Tribeca or Crosby Street Hotel in Soho, but if you want a big splashy Christmas with all the trimmings, then MO is probably your best bet.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone seen christmas at these recently?
taj/pierre or carlyle (have residences, like MO)
other UES - mark and lowell (both still good?)

new FS lesser location, but pool/etc and condos

interesting at original FS (not seasonal, but new)
press.fourseasons.com/newyork/hotel-news/2016/meals-in-the-sky/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 27, 2016 at 7:58 am
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
anyone seen christmas at these recently?
taj/pierre or carlyle (have residences, like MO)
other UES - mark and lowell (both still good?)

new FS lesser location, but pool/etc and condos

interesting at original FS (not seasonal, but new)
press.fourseasons.com/newyork/hotel-news/2016/meals-in-the-sky/
The Pierre is very much over. Food was never good there, either.

The Carlyle is a really good choice for Christmas - great food and a really festive atmosphere.Pity about the rooms/suites

The Lowell is much better these days now that Heiko Kuentsle is back as GM - good option for Christmas in a boutique sized hotel, especially now that they are launching a proper restaurant.

Not keen on The Mark - a bit soulless for me.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I

I know a lot on here use Virtuoso and others, but I tend to book on Expedia a lot and just pay for the class of room I want.
do the same with Virtuoso/ MO Fan Club. Doubt Expedia is cheaper
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by offerendum
do the same with Virtuoso/ MO Fan Club. Doubt Expedia is cheaper
Sometimes you might find slightly cheaper rates with Expedia, but you'd lose out on the benefits you'd get with FHR, etc. IME it is almost always worth it to book with FHR.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
Sometimes you might find slightly cheaper rates with Expedia, but you'd lose out on the benefits you'd get with FHR, etc. IME it is almost always worth it to book with FHR.
MO New York has also guaranteed upgrade at time of booking
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:54 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I'm looking for advice / recommendations for a good Christmas hotel in New York. I know it's early to be talking about Christmas but I like to book in advance!
The Lowell at Christmas is very special... If your budget allows for a fireplace in the room/suite even more so.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
And although I am not sure if MO would actually do this, but also keep in mind that many, many hotels reserve the "worst" rooms for OTA-bookings or package travel organisations.

My vote would be for the St Regis anyway, where I have spent Christmas holidays in 2014. Decoration was fantastic and wonderful hotel. Wish that all St Regis properties would be like the original one

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shri...Yjg5NjAxZQ.jpg
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Epicura
And although I am not sure if MO would actually do this, but also keep in mind that many, many hotels reserve the "worst" rooms for OTA-bookings or package travel organisations.
Correct!

One of my favorite GM's told me an interesting thing the other day.

Each morning, the entire hotel team goes over EVERY* arrival for that given day. Who they are, who booked them, allergies, special requests, etc.

So while they go over 'everyone', the only clients/arrivals they don't go over? OTA bookings.

This is pretty standard across the entire industry.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Correct!

One of my favorite GM's told me an interesting thing the other day.

Each morning, the entire hotel team goes over EVERY* arrival for that given day. Who they are, who booked them, allergies, special requests, etc.

So while they go over 'everyone', the only clients/arrivals they don't go over? OTA bookings.

This is pretty standard across the entire industry.
In General I agree and normally use OTA Prices to us for example best rate claims at Starwood. Nevertheless I did some bookings in the pat when Price was significant cheaper (like Six Senses Ninh Van Bay). There I didn´t mention any difference, same with Raffles Seychelles or Banyan Tree Seychelles. At Raffles I even got an upgrade worth a few hundred € per night this time. So would not book it at NY, but at Holiday destinations it can be absolutely fine, especially as Virtuoso is often useless there as breakfast is included, you don´t wish the upgrade or you are already in the highest one bedroom option and at a 7 nights stay 100 $ credit doesn´t compensate very much.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:01 am

I did a quick search and was surprised to not see the Baccarat listed in this thread. I haven't stayed there but it looks pretty impressive. Surely not everyone's taste tho.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by offerendum
In General I agree and normally use OTA Prices to us for example best rate claims at Starwood. Nevertheless I did some bookings in the pat when Price was significant cheaper (like Six Senses Ninh Van Bay). There I didn´t mention any difference, same with Raffles Seychelles or Banyan Tree Seychelles. At Raffles I even got an upgrade worth a few hundred € per night this time. So would not book it at NY, but at Holiday destinations it can be absolutely fine, especially as Virtuoso is often useless there as breakfast is included, you don´t wish the upgrade or you are already in the highest one bedroom option and at a 7 nights stay 100 $ credit doesn´t compensate very much.
Well what a lot of people forget is that you can always ask your Virtuoso advisor to request a price match. Not a week goes by where I don't have a supplier match the price showing on Expedia. Virtuoso has strict rules about rate parity and, baring any significant "reason" behind the price issue, they'll almost always match.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by DetailsIM
I did a quick search and was surprised to not see the Baccarat listed in this thread. I haven't stayed there but it looks pretty impressive.
Next time you are in NYC, you need to stop in and do a walk through of the Baccarat. You will realize quickly why it doesn't get much attention here.

I'd add as a side note that MO NYC might be as bad as the Plaza. (I know -- MIKE! That is a low blow!) I will never return until something changes, and changes *dramatically*.

And I'm puzzled by the positive comments about the Carlyle. This is a hotel with a famous bar and music venue attached. The 'hotel' is unremarkable with the goofy, dysfunctional rooms. Don't even get me started about the elevators...

I much prefer the Mark.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Well what a lot of people forget is that you can always ask your Virtuoso advisor to request a price match. Not a week goes by where I don't have a supplier match the price showing on Expedia. Virtuoso has strict rules about rate parity and, baring any significant "reason" behind the price issue, they'll almost always match.
Normally I try it but I was often unsuccessful
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Next time you are in NYC, you need to stop in and do a walk through of the Baccarat. You will realize quickly why it doesn't get much attention here.

I'd add as a side note that MO NYC might be as bad as the Plaza. (I know -- MIKE! That is a low blow!) I will never return until something changes, and changes *dramatically*.

And I'm puzzled by the positive comments about the Carlyle. This is a hotel with a famous bar and music venue attached. The 'hotel' is unremarkable with the goofy, dysfunctional rooms. Don't even get me started about the elevators...

I much prefer the Mark.
What do you mean re: the Baccarat? Specifics?

And what don't you like about the Mandarin Oriental? Plaza?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.