Wiki Posts
Search

Best PENS in Luxury Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club
Best PENS in Luxury Hotel Rooms

Using my current Four Seasons pens, (Silver Top, Black Middle, Silver Point), which I 'stole' from the room at FS NYC a couple of weeks ago.

The one I am using presently is of such horrible quality, the point doesn't extend fully out of the bottom, no matter how much you try to maneuver the twisty part.

In addition, the 'feel' of it is less than high end for a pen. It's worse than a ten cent pen you could have bought a Woolworth's 25 years ago.

It is slippery, skinny, and all around a horror.

The OLD FS Pens, the grey ones, were marginally better...

Of course, the chain knows their guests are going take them, just as they take the toiletries (not the toilet).

Too bad they don't have a deal with a reputable pen manufacturer, as they do with the toiletries companies, as a pen, even a decently designed, and nice to write with one would be substantially cheaper than a bar of Bvlgari bath soap.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:06 am

Four Seasons' pens vary entirely from hotel to hotel, region to region. It makes sense for hotel chains to source their pens regionally rather than ship them around the world, and in this respect, the best pens I have acquired from any hotel group are from Asia - Mont Blanc eat your heart out.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Four Seasons' pens vary entirely from hotel to hotel, region to region. It makes sense for hotel chains to source their pens regionally rather than ship them around the world, and in this respect, the best pens I have acquired from any hotel group are from Asia - Mont Blanc eat your heart out.
In the U.S., I've noticed the same pens at every FS. Including Hawaii.

Didn't really pay attention in Europe hotels, since I am not there for business, when there, and have less of a need for pens.

I will definitely keep my eyes open at FS Shanghai to see what they have this week.

At least we can almost guarantee that the pen will have been made in China.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by laxconnorw
In the U.S., I've noticed the same pens at every FS. Including Hawaii.

Didn't really pay attention in Europe hotels, since I am not there for business, when there, and have less of a need for pens.

I will definitely keep my eyes open at FS Shanghai to see what they have this week.

At least we can almost guarantee that the pen will have been made in China.
Actually, the best pens are not from Four Seasons. One&Only normally have amazing pens (Reethi Rah Maldives especially). Also Taj in India have some beautiful pens.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
I'm also a big fan of the FS Asia pens and have a nice collection from Koh Samui and Langkawi. I was shocked at how pedestrian the pens were this summer at Amanyara. Just the regular plastic junk
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by damaxer91
I'm also a big fan of the FS Asia pens and have a nice collection from Koh Samui and Langkawi. I was shocked at how pedestrian the pens were this summer at Amanyara. Just the regular plastic junk
Hmm, Amans normally have wooden pencils rather than pens, so I am surprised that Amanyara has plastic pens.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...r-seasons.html
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Great thread - that I didn't know existed.

Wish I knew how to post a picture. The Black/Silver pen that I am talking about seems to be a 'downgrade' of the ones pictured in the above link. They are simply horrid.

The grey (sliver?) ones were better, but haven't seen them, except, occassionally, still, at FS @ Beverly Hills.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:11 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Hmm, Amans normally have wooden pencils rather than pens, so I am surprised that Amanyara has plastic pens.
Amans also have pens - seems usually wood Some a bit awkward to ' hold '
Love their pencils

Originally Posted by Ericka
The Aman pens are unique to each location and they usually (give the appearance of?) are locally crafted. There are ones made of coconut wood, hand-carved wood, and some with a sort of burlap/twine wrapping. And yes, there are pencils, too.

We purchased some gorgeous silk wrapped ones at Jena with lovely little tassels.
Yes, Ericka - thanks for elaborating , love those Jena ones too

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 28, 2011 at 4:36 pm Reason: Follow up on later post
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:40 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
The Aman pens are unique to each location and they usually (give the appearance of?) are locally crafted. There are ones made of coconut wood, hand-carved wood, and some with a sort of burlap/twine wrapping. And yes, there are pencils, too.

We purchased some gorgeous silk wrapped ones at Jena with lovely little tassels.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Landmark Mandarin HK pens are actually worth writing with. Apart from that, pretty much all of them are cheap crap, including FS.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kempinski is good for pens in Munich.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:52 pm

funny thread.
concur with grumbler.
most look good although they're crap. either the tip won't stay out or the 2 parts separate while writing.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Must admit, I 'borrowed' about 5 FS pens from the business centre at FS Hampshire a couple of years ago, and they were next to useless with a shockingly short lifespan before they fell to bits!

I usually put hotel pens in my suit and coat pockets, because they are very light and don't affect the line of the jacket.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 5:34 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by Raffles
Must admit, I 'borrowed' about 5 FS pens from the business centre at FS Hampshire a couple of years ago, and they were next to useless with a shockingly short lifespan before they fell to bits!

I usually put hotel pens in my suit and coat pockets, because they are very light and don't affect the line of the jacket.
Because people 'borrow' them all the time, they can't put more money into them. LOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.