Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Where to find a luxury travel companion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Relais & Châteaux

Unsure where this question belongs. None of my friends or family have interest in exploring luxury hotels and I'm not a fan of travelling alone. Does anyone know where to find a travel companion that are interested in exploring luxury hotels and travel together?

All travel companion websites I've found is for budget travellers..
Old Oct 13, 2011, 3:42 pm

A dating agency?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Originally Posted by paul2
A dating agency?
+1^
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Come on... I'm not looking for dating, but to share hotel experiences. Nobody can help?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 3:08 am

Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree, the Travel Companion area. Folks of all budgets there.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 3:30 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Maybe join some luxurious tour group instead....?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
Maybe join some luxurious tour group instead....?
Don't think there is any for Amans and Relais&Chateauxs :/
Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:32 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by mogensglistrup
Don't think there is any for Amans and Relais&Chateauxs :/
Sure there are..... A&K marco polo tours and Travcoa come to mind. At least for Relais properties.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:53 am

On a serious note ..this idea can be interesting ...maybe it could be as simple - ( hope this doesnt come across as too capricious !) - as naming a place and time and then those interested would just meet there !!

For starters the people can be from this forum !

Then we can bore ourselves silly with luxury chatter !
@:-)@:-)

Last edited by luxury; Oct 14, 2011 at 12:30 pm Reason: Moderator note: Link removed, inappropriate for FlyerTalk
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I think that going on a Seabourn or Silversea cruise would be a good opportunity to meet people who enjoy staying at luxury hotels.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it goes without saying - partner/family then friends. but not only does there have to be an interest, there has to be a capacity. i mean traveling well together, because its possible for one person to pay for everything.

personally, i am single and travel with one person. i look forward to eventually traveling with others.

if OP has never met potential friends / travel partners while traveling at properties discussed here, i find that very disheartening from a personal standpoint, but i remain optimistic.

Originally Posted by francophile
I think that going on a Seabourn or Silversea cruise would be a good opportunity to meet people who enjoy staying at luxury hotels.
not really. FS explorer and oberoi zahra highly likely. american safari cruise (et al) maybe.

(seadream and ms europa might be regarded ok here. not sure about residensea.)

i did seabourn crossing and silversea alaska. i only met one couple of note, on the silversea alaska, who were actually better traveled than the regular here. probably in line with vuittonsofstyle, but different destinations. but while they have been to many properties discussed here, they book through tours like A&K and the even higher end boutique tour operators.

for travelers like here, at a luxury property i met a small group of a larger group that travels together. not sure how large the group is when they stay at properties discussed here, but they said theyve done trips with scores of people. friends and their multigenerational families.

Originally Posted by bearbrick
For starters the people can be from this forum !
at some point there must be an aman takeover. galla is cheap and puri is large.

related >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...uxury-fun.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-bookings.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:28 am
Community Director Emerita

The challenge with finding a traveling partner is finding someone with a similar budget who is congenial and has the same interest in travel destination and aspirational hotels. I think it's a very big challenge to identify someone of similar taste without really knowing them first.

However, a female friend has ended up with a nice group of traveling companions with no initial intent to do so. She started going to Canyon Ranch every year after her husband died far too young. There are several women who go the same week every year. They became congenial and now travel other places as well. In September, they rented a villa in Italy and had a great time together.

I have friends who enjoy high end cruising. They have a number of friends they have met onboard with whom they now enjoy planning the next cruise.

Perhaps you are male. I have no idea what the equivalent is for men of going to a spa for a week. Perhaps you could identify experience focused luxury travel - ski, bicycle, hike, dive - and thru doing that, find someone of like interest with whom you plan future travel.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Perhaps you are male. I have no idea what the equivalent is for men of going to a spa for a week. Perhaps you could identify experience focused luxury travel - ski, bicycle, hike, dive - and thru doing that, find someone of like interest with whom you plan future travel.
perhaps playing golf? I have met some of my best friends while playing golf. Started as a twosome and paired up with another twosome. We have traveled all over the US playing golf since that time.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri;

i did seabourn crossing and silversea alaska. i only met one couple of note, on the silversea alaska, who were actually better traveled than the regular here. probably in line with vuittonsofstyle, but different destinations. but while they have been to many properties discussed here, they book through tours like A&K and the even higher end boutique tour operators.
Can you give some examples of these "even higher end boutique tour operators"? I am curious what kind of services they can provide.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KrazeeJoe
Can you give some examples of these "even higher end boutique tour operators"? I am curious what kind of services they can provide.
a bunch have been posted. boutique = small. high end = thousands a day and up. A&K etc have mainstream options.

in sticky >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ion-ideas.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...periences.html

other >
http://www.purelifeexperiences.com/2011guestlist.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...tom-tours.html

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 17, 2011 at 12:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.