Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotel Marketing loses sight of reality?

Luxury Hotel Marketing loses sight of reality?

Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
some interesting numbers for FS NY >

roughly, 44% occupancy of 2 beats 100% occupancy of 8.

$35K penthouse >

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...s-trouble.html
july 2007 > june 2008 $30.6mm / 72%
july 2008 > june 2009 $14.7mm / 58%
(cash flow / occupancy)
Yes, but only 1 RS, and few others. A nice bonus to be sure, but demand for those suites has to be lumpy.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 4:14 pm

Any four season ad that doesn't have a large elderly Russian with a stunning girl under 25 is not accurate. More hookers at 4 seasons than a Budget motel
Old Nov 13, 2011, 7:09 pm

[QUOTE=vuittonsofstyle;17236221]I really like Aman's anti-marketing stance. They are, very discreetly, on Facebook now, but no ads at all, ever.

At the high end, word of mouth is the best publicity. Most high-end hotel marketing/advertising is like calling an aftershave 'Status'. True 'luxury' is understated and very discreet, not idiot smiling people pretending to enjoy the luxury lifestyle - like O&O, FS et al.

Agreed Vuitton.
I've not been keen on several recent FS experiences. Each on a weeknight where a mob scene had overtaken the lounge, bar and pool deck. The last occassion, while checking in the front desk staff explained that the bar and pool area were open to the public for a weekly social function, they recommended a room on the opposite side of the hotel...no biggie. When we returned later that evening wow what a sight; the mob scene had moved from the bar to the pool and the lobby. evidentally this is/was a weekly thing.

I'm reluctant to describe the demographics/scene except to say it's a very young crowd. Would this be 'aspirational marketing' ?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:53 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=calitripgal;17444229]
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I really like Aman's anti-marketing stance. They are, very discreetly, on Facebook now, but no ads at all, ever.

At the high end, word of mouth is the best publicity. Most high-end hotel marketing/advertising is like calling an aftershave 'Status'. True 'luxury' is understated and very discreet, not idiot smiling people pretending to enjoy the luxury lifestyle - like O&O, FS et al.

Agreed Vuitton.
I've not been keen on several recent FS experiences. Each on a weeknight where a mob scene had overtaken the lounge, bar and pool deck. The last occassion, while checking in the front desk staff explained that the bar and pool area were open to the public for a weekly social function, they recommended a room on the opposite side of the hotel...no biggie. When we returned later that evening wow what a sight; the mob scene had moved from the bar to the pool and the lobby. evidentally this is/was a weekly thing.

I'm reluctant to describe the demographics/scene except to say it's a very young crowd. Would this be 'aspirational marketing' ?
The thing about Four Seasons is that, apart from a couple of exceptions, their North American hotels are of a completely different standard to their Asian and European hotels/resorts, which means the guests, too, tend to differ. I cannot imagine seeing a bar/pool mob scene in, say, Four Seasons Bali, or George V Paris.

These days, the FS brand is incredibly fragmented from region to region and this appears to be on the increase.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
[QUOTE=vuittonsofstyle;17473664]
Originally Posted by calitripgal

The thing about Four Seasons is that, apart from a couple of exceptions, their North American hotels are of a completely different standard to their Asian and European hotels/resorts, which means the guests, too, tend to differ. I cannot imagine seeing a bar/pool mob scene in, say, Four Seasons Bali, or George V Paris.

These days, the FS brand is incredibly fragmented from region to region and this appears to be on the increase.
My perception is that the brand is coasting a little bit. The number of FS properties that I personally find are "must stays" are sort of on the decline, at least for me. I suppose that compared to other chains, they are still in good shape, because the chain competitors are also challenged - but it has to be the case that in a growing number of markets, the hotels are not necessarily 1st or 2nd choice.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:35 am

Cool New Four Seasons website

Has anyone seen the new Four Seasons website?? When I first saw it I thought I had accidentally clicked on a link to a Four Seasons Magazine spread.

I used to love Four Seasons' straightforward, user friendly website. Now it seems they are copying Ritz-Carlton, using graphics that in some cases have absolutely nothing to do with the actual properties. I find the new website cluttered with unnecessary graphics, and the slideshows of pictures to be irritating.

Thankfully Amanresorts, Peninsula, and Mandarin Oriental continue to get it right in this regard.

edited to add-

I really can't believe this. I feel tempted to use expletives to describe these nauseating slideshows of irrelevant pictures. FS New York's website would be an example http://www.preview.fourseasons.com/newyork/

And on FS Marunouchi's website they have included a link to Tripadvisor http://www.preview.fourseasons.com/marunouchi/

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 12, 2012 at 8:01 am
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Has anyone seen the new Four Seasons website?? When I first saw it I thought I had accidentally clicked on a link to a Four Seasons Magazine spread.

I used to love Four Seasons' straightforward, user friendly website. Now it seems they are copying Ritz-Carlton, using graphics that in some cases have absolutely nothing to do with the actual properties. I find the new website cluttered with unnecessary graphics, and the slideshows of pictures to be irritating.

Thankfully Amanresorts, Peninsula, and Mandarin Oriental continue to get it right in this regard.

edited to add-

I really can't believe this. I feel tempted to use expletives to describe these nauseating slideshows of irrelevant pictures. FS New York's website would be an example http://www.preview.fourseasons.com/newyork/

And on FS Marunouchi's website they have included a link to Tripadvisor http://www.preview.fourseasons.com/marunouchi/
I think this is a sign of the new 'management' at Four Seasons. Not sure they really understand their own brand....
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:22 am

FSNY

edited to add-

Spent 4 days at NY FS in November with the family.
While checking out the new website last week my 12 year old proclaimed ... "this is not the hotel we stayed at ".
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I rather like the new website and find it be way more visually appealing and enticing than the former. The former seemed clunky and antiquated IMHO
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Whilst there was nothing wrong with the old web site I did feel it needed a bit of a refresh with perhaps some new photography

Not sure about the new site at all.

Find the scrolling up and down frustrating and some of the type fonts don't seem to work and are difficult to read

The couple of properties I looked out still had the same age-old photographs and poor examples of menus available in the restaurants - Even my local Pizza Express can put a pdf of its menu on the web

The Trip Advisor box with 'selected' snippets of praise is a bit of joke IMO

If the purpose of the web site is to wet my appetite and lure me to book then the FS website doesn't do it.

Personally, don't think the Aman website stands out, MO isn't bad, but would agree the Peninsula website really sells the properties

Last edited by Kettering Northants QC; Jan 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:06 pm

edited to add-

I hate the new FS site, but I actually like the new RC format.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
The more I look at the FS site the more I hate it.

- How many different font types can one get on 1 page?
- There are some bugs - the currency converter sometimes appears against a room rate, sometimes it doesn't
- When booking a room on the site they will offer you a room upgrade (for a fee), on one I looked at it said - upgrade to Deluxe View Room for XXX and get a better view and a more spacious room. INCORRECT - you may get a better view but according to the room descriptions, elsewhere on the site, in this case the rooms are the same size -
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

less than a month later, theyre redirecting to new site

you can still access original ratecards (for how long?) (not these)

a positive - some properties listing some excursions on rates page now, some with prices (both versions of site)
Originally Posted by ABG
The "rate project" is a big project and its not finished yet... it is constantly being tweaked and rolled out slowly. Give them some time to properly finish it
Originally Posted by Shangri-La
Was this the big announcement?
http://press.fourseasons.com/news-re...-trend-report/
FS with ratecards >
7/31 US
44/56 international

removed >
- pen
- rosewood
- MO
- OO
- GHM
~ 36 FS (incl 12 international)
~ OE (except 6 italy, 3 US, 1 UK, 1 st martin)
~ como's 3 urban properties and some info on CSE site
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:24 pm

[QUOTE=vuittonsofstyle;17473664]
Originally Posted by calitripgal

Do you think this to be limited to just FS or across the whole luxury hotel market?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

literally while working on this post they stopped redirecting to preview site
edit - 9 hours later its redirecting again
Originally Posted by ABG
The "rate project" is a big project and its not finished yet... it is constantly being tweaked and rolled out slowly. Give them some time to properly finish it
can you clarify whether you heard that the ratecards are going to be added to new site?

because theyre redirecting rate pages at the moment

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.