Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

The Conservatorium, Amsterdam

Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

This will be one of 2011's hottest openings alongside the reopening of Amsterdam's two major art institutions earlier next year - the Stedelijk Museum and the Rijksmuseum. Set in the 19th-century former Sweelinck music conservatorium, it boasts stunningly modern interiors by Milanese award-winning interior designer Piero Lissoni.
http://www.travel8ing.com/2011/09/co...amsterdam.html
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:52 pm

We just spent 3 days at Conservatorium hotel in Amsterdam. We arrived from Paris with the Thalys. Journey was awful (terrible service and Amsterdam Grand Central Station is a joke) but it's only 15 minutes by taxi to the hotel (and it costs about 15 Eur).

We had booked a Corner suite and we were upgraded to a Conservatorium suite (1 level). Decor is dark & minimalist, we just loved it. There is a big walk-in closet, large living area ( but no dining table even if it was big enough to have one), and double doors to access the bedroom ( study area in the bedroom). The suite was facing a quiet side street and noise insulation was perfect. Air con control is separate for living area & bedroom. The bathroom was gorgeous with separate loo, double shower, 2 vanities and a big bathtub. Stone from the floor to the walls including the door, the design is great. They just need to add hangers for towels, and to rethink some odd details (why hairdryer is in the walk-in closet at the entrance instead of the bathroom?).

Products are from l'Occitane. All curtains are electric and lighting controls are a bit complicated to understand. Last strange point: there are 2 phones in the bedroom but none in the living area.

Service was perfect. Staff is smiling, efficient. Check-in was fast, room-service also quick with good quality products. Concierge gave us good advice for restaurant.

The gym is located at basement (just under the restaurant) but there is still some natural light. The attendant was a nice young guy willing to help during work-out session. We didn't try the Spa but we went to the swimming pool (20m + jaccuzi). We had forgotten our swimwear but it was possible to buy one at 35 Eur.

Breakfast was ok, nothing special (buffet style except for eggs/ hot dishes).

It is not as central as de l'Europe, but the location close to top luxury boutiques and a few steps away from Van Gogh museum is excellent. Thank you to Gallivanters for the perfect advice!^

(Reservation was made through Amex and included 3pm late check-out and fast line entry tickets to VG museum.)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
We just spent 3 days at Conservatorium hotel in Amsterdam. We arrived from Paris with the Thalys. Journey was awful (terrible service and Amsterdam Grand Central Station is a joke) but it's only 15 minutes by taxi to the hotel (and it costs about 15 Eur).

We had booked a Corner suite and we were upgraded to a Conservatorium suite (1 level). Decor is dark & minimalist, we just loved it. There is a big walk-in closet, large living area ( but no dining table even if it was big enough to have one), and double doors to access the bedroom ( study area in the bedroom). The suite was facing a quiet side street and noise insulation was perfect. Air con control is separate for living area & bedroom. The bathroom was gorgeous with separate loo, double shower, 2 vanities and a big bathtub. Stone from the floor to the walls including the door, the design is great. They just need to add hangers for towels, and to rethink some odd details (why hairdryer is in the walk-in closet at the entrance instead of the bathroom?).

Products are from l'Occitane. All curtains are electric and lighting controls are a bit complicated to understand. Last strange point: there are 2 phones in the bedroom but none in the living area.

Service was perfect. Staff is smiling, efficient. Check-in was fast, room-service also quick with good quality products. Concierge gave us good advice for restaurant.

The gym is located at basement (just under the restaurant) but there is still some natural light. The attendant was a nice young guy willing to help during work-out session. We didn't try the Spa but we went to the swimming pool (20m + jaccuzi). We had forgotten our swimwear but it was possible to buy one at 35 Eur.

Breakfast was ok, nothing special (buffet style except for eggs/ hot dishes).

It is not as central as de l'Europe, but the location close to top luxury boutiques and a few steps away from Van Gogh museum is excellent. Thank you to Gallivanters for the perfect advice!^

(Reservation was made through Amex and included 3pm late check-out and fast line entry tickets to VG museum.)
So glad you liked it - it is now my favourite in Amsterdam.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And why do you consider the Amsterdam station a joke?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
And why do you consider the Amsterdam station a joke?
There are some work in progress so it shall improve. But I found it was very difficult to find information & orientation signs are not clear. There is no waiting area like I'm used to with the Eurostar in St. Pancras & in Gare du Nord. In fact to find our way we had to ask to police guys, we were completely lost.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Sure, there is some work in progress... But maybe you need to invest in some glases ;-) there are signs everywhere directing you to all platforms and exits.

Navigating this station is hardly a challenge.

And you wait for the train on the platform, that's how it's done everywhere in the Netherlands (and in most places). Not exactly luxury I know, but the platforms are covered and it just a train you know. Did you expect a lounge for a train that leaves every 30 minutes?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
Sure, there is some work in progress... But maybe you need to invest in some glases ;-) there are signs everywhere directing you to all platforms and exits.

Navigating this station is hardly a challenge.

And you wait for the train on the platform, that's how it's done everywhere in the Netherlands (and in most places). Not exactly luxury I know, but the platforms are covered and it just a train you know. Did you expect a lounge for a train that leaves every 30 minutes?
When we left Amsterdam the taxi dropped us at the back side of the station close to the Thalys platform, but there is no indication at all. I guess at the main entrance it is indeed easier to find the right way. And yes, I expected there would be a lounge. There are many Eurostars each day and there is a lounge. If we come back to Amsterdam we will go by plane.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 3:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If we come back to Amsterdam we will go by plane.
That seems smart.... it will take you about twice the time of the train. But well, you will at least wait in a lounge (or in a long que when traveling during the holidays)

Sorry, but I really don't get why you are complaining about something this trivial. Even if you had to ask for directions, is this something that bothers you this much?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:04 am

I shall give additional details to explain why I did not appreciate Thalys & Grand Central Station.
1) Usually I do not like trains & train stations. There is no rational reason, I know it may seems odd. So whenever I have to take a train I begin to get nervous and (as a result?) bad things happen most often.
2) Thalys was 1h late on the way back.
3) Dinner was not served without prior notice (and no food anymore when I tried restaurant coach).
4) There was a young child crying most of the time (except when his father played Teletubbies on his iPad without headset).
5) Thalys employee on board was extremely rude and unprofessionnal.

I hope it helps to understand why I prefer the plane whenever equivalent train journey is 3h or more.

But I still loved Amsterdam & the Conservatory hotel!^
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That surely explains why you didn't like taking the Thalys. Everybody has his preferences and after commuting to work by train for 10 years, the Dutch trains are not my favorites too. Especially in summer without airco and during the holidays when everything is filled to capacity.

The problem is that traveling by plane isn't that different.

You could also think about driving. It's very easy to use one of the Park and Ride places that are near the highway and travel the last section by subway. If you don't have too much luggage that could be a good way to travel.

Since I work in Amsterdam I probably won't be staying at the Conservatory, but it looks very nice.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I shall give additional details to explain why I did not appreciate Thalys & Grand Central Station.
1) Usually I do not like trains & train stations. There is no rational reason, I know it may seems odd. So whenever I have to take a train I begin to get nervous and (as a result?) bad things happen most often.
The same for me. The reason why I always fly to AMS from CDG, rather than taking the train.

Still, I like Thalys (but just take it to Brussels).
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
So glad you liked it - it is now my favourite in Amsterdam.
I love Piero Lissoni work (Mamilla hotel, ...), including very smart Boffi bath Paris showroom.

Piero Lissoni has a true talent to give a time dimension into a new place, by mixing contemporary design and warm elements. He has a true intelligence des lieux.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:21 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-gb; GT-S6102 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Amsterdam station is filthy and makes me feel unsafe - and I love train stations. The good thing is the many friendly police officers around - I needed them once while thretened by one of these scaring middle eastern taxi drivers.

Will be at the Canal house soon and walk till there. No apparent rules for taxis, far worse than any third world city.

Last edited by behuman; Aug 18, 2012 at 7:27 am
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:55 pm

I've heard their restaurant is well liked by the Amsterdam in-crowd.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by behuman
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-gb; GT-S6102 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Amsterdam station is filthy and makes me feel unsafe - and I love train stations. The good thing is the many friendly police officers around - I needed them once while thretened by one of these scaring middle eastern taxi drivers.

Will be at the Canal house soon and walk till there. No apparent rules for taxis, far worse than any third world city.
Nice restaurant and terrace at Canal House, but TINY rooms!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.