Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons Tented Camp - some quick questions (Thailand)

Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:22 am
Original Poster

We're off, the wife and I, yet again for a short 4-night stay at FS Chiang Rai next week. I'm no fan of FS - never had any memorable stays at an FS -, but this property has been at the top of my go-to list ever since I became aware of it... I'm just so excited about the elephants! Some questions ---

1) Weather - Ideally, of course, I'd like to go during Jan-April, and I'm willing to wait if the rainy season is a real spoiler. But given that their rates are down from 75k THB to 60k THB because of the low season, and that no-one on tripadvisor seems to have minded the weather in Aug-Sept, I'm thinking it might be worth it. Also, considering that I can always reach Chiang Rai in about 6 hours from Delhi, likely this won't be my last visit. Can anyone comment on this weather vs discount tradeoff?

2) Someone I can't seem to find anyone talking, either here or on tripadvisor, about deluxe tents vs regular tents. Is the deluxe tent worth the extra 10k THB?

3) How do I go about getting the best deal? I'm not a frequent FS guest so I don't know the ropes. I remember reading that Virtuoso can't get any substantial benefits on this property?

Thanks as usual. Once my booking is done, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:56 am

The weather is really best in the winter months, through March or April. In August and September it is the rainy season, so there will be showers, but as with many parts of Thailand the weather can also be beautiful if you are lucky.

I was there in March this year for four nights, and the weather was lovely. We needed light sweaters in the evenings. If I were you, I would not let the low season rates affect when you choose to go. It is definitely worth it to be there in the winter months when it is most beautiful.

In March the deluxe tents were not yet ready, but they may be by now. They will have the same interior layout as the standard tents, but will have enhanced outdoor living space with whirlpool baths.

I would book directly with the property or with the Bangkok reservations center. The best way to get a deal is to book one of the four or five night packages, which are often discounted.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Since FS Tented Camp is all-inclusive, it's true that the Virtuoso or FSPP amenities are less valuable. You do get a $100 spa credit, as well as any promotions that are available.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:23 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by rjhunjhu

2) Someone I can't seem to find anyone talking, either here or on tripadvisor, about deluxe tents vs regular tents. Is the deluxe tent worth the extra 10k THB?

3) How do I go about getting the best deal? I'm not a frequent FS guest so I don't know the ropes. I remember reading that Virtuoso can't get any substantial benefits on this property?
The deluxe tents have been renovated to add outdoor jacuzzi tubs on the decks overlooking the elephant area just beyond the Burma Bar. These would be the FS Pref Partner Upgrade if you refer to your point #3. Look for the green season promotions currently underway.

In terms of price, if you are hesitant about the price, this place is not for you. Its expensive and while memorable, its not Singita.

Last edited by ABG; Aug 23, 2011 at 8:31 am
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:02 am

Best bet is to book via the Camp Manager, Yonatan Kachko and ask about Deluxe options. Personally, I don't think they are necessary as you spend most of your time outside of the tented suite - there is very little time to relax in a jacuzzi on your deck. Best experience is to take a shower - amazing outdoor huge-head showers with sensational views. Who needs a jacuzzi?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:17 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Plus, who cares about having a private hot tub in Thailand where it is already hot most of the year? Outside of the small period of time when it can get cool (and this is a relative term) at night, when would a hot tub ever be used? I don't understand why they didn't create private plunge pools instead of private hot tubs.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll find out about the deluxe tents, but looks like it's not really much of an upgrade from the regular ones.

I think I didn't phrase my first question properly. I'd much rather go in the best weather months (I'm comfortable with the cost). But given that I'll probably visit this property again (travel frequently enough to Thailand) in the next 1-2 years during the best weather, is it worth going right now in the rainy season given the sweet deal (discount + 2 nights stay at another FS Thailand property)?

In other words, is it value for money even in this weather or is the weather bad enough that we're likely to see only cloudy days and mostly be confined to our tents?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:51 am

I think I didn't phrase my first question properly. I'd much rather go in the best weather months (I'm comfortable with the cost). But given that I'll probably visit this property again (travel frequently enough to Thailand) in the next 1-2 years during the best weather, is it worth going right now in the rainy season given the sweet deal (discount + 2 nights stay at another FS Thailand property)?

In other words, is it value for money even in this weather or is the weather bad enough that we're likely to see only cloudy days and mostly be confined to our tents?
In that case, I would suggest that you consider going if you have the opportunity now. Why not call the property directly and ask them for their honest advice regarding the weather? In my experience with FS in Thailand, they have always been completely honest about weather conditions, and have never advised me to book if weather conditions were not good.

Most places in Thailand are beautiful in the Green season as well- you just might need to spend some time indoors if it starts to pour. Going to the resort twice would be a great idea, as there is so much to explore in the region in addition to the Mahout training and camp activities.

Regarding the two free nights at another property- I think it is best to use them in Chiang Mai or Samui. As they book into base category, they are not very valuable if you use them in Bangkok (unless you negotiated a higher category upgrade or paid an upsell).

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Aug 23, 2011 at 12:09 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
My wife and I visited for 3 nights in July 2008. Weather was consistently 30 - 33 degrees celcius during the day, with what felt like 90%+ humidity. It was quite uncomfortable in the direct sunlight, but there are plenty of shade opportunities and the air conditioning in the tents feels glorious.

For a first visit, I would not let the weather deter you. However, my wife and I discussed returning and we said it would definitely have to be in the winter months...

One of my favorite features of the camp back in 2008 was the fact that all of the tents were the same. There was no hierarchy of deluxe rooms vs. presidential suites, etc...Everyone was on level playing field. To a certain degree, I am sad they added the deluxe tents. That said, the standard tents were quite amazing, and I can't imagine needing or wanting anything better.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
In that case, I would suggest that you consider going if you have the opportunity now. Why not call the property directly and ask them for their honest advice regarding the weather? In my experience with FS in Thailand, they have always been completely honest about weather conditions, and have never advised me to book if weather conditions were not good.
Did this. They're quite upbeat about the weather... apparently short showers interspersed with the sun. Doesn't sound too bad, but google disagrees about the sun - http://www.google.co.in/search?rlz=1...her+chiang+rai

Regarding the two free nights at another property- I think it is best to use them in Chiang Mai or Samui. As they book into base category, they are not very valuable if you use them in Bangkok (unless you negotiated a higher category upgrade or paid an upsell).
Ya it's a strange offer with no value parity. I've stayed at FS Samui - didn't care for it much, thought the Six Senses there is better. So Chiang Mai it will have to be.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:44 am

Did this. They're quite upbeat about the weather... apparently short showers interspersed with the sun. Doesn't sound too bad, but google disagrees about the sun - http://www.google.co.in/search?rlz=1...her+chiang+rai

Ya it's a strange offer with no value parity. I've stayed at FS Samui - didn't care for it much, thought the Six Senses there is better. So Chiang Mai it will have to be.
I am sure their description of the weather is accurate- short showers interspersed with sun sound like typical Thai weather in the green/rainy season. The showers rarely last long, and are refreshing because of the heat and humidity.

Chiang Mai would also make a lot of sense because you could have the resort arrange a transfer for you by car.

I agree that two free nights in a Superior Room at FS Bangkok is of very little value. If I ever wanted to use the complimentary nights in Bangkok, I would do my best to negotiate a substantial upgrade.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Aug 24, 2011 at 5:13 am
Old Sep 11, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Thinking of staying here in November this year... I also tried to look for more information about the deluxe tents, but seems like the info on it online is quite sparse.. Besides the extra hot tub on the outside, anything else different? doesn't seem like it's worth another 10k THB, unless they upgraded the interior of the tents as well... Anyone stayed in a deluxe tent yet and have any updates for us?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by tfung
Thinking of staying here in November this year... I also tried to look for more information about the deluxe tents, but seems like the info on it online is quite sparse.. Besides the extra hot tub on the outside, anything else different? doesn't seem like it's worth another 10k THB, unless they upgraded the interior of the tents as well... Anyone stayed in a deluxe tent yet and have any updates for us?
It looks as though they have chosen the tents with the best views of the river for Deluxe status, but apart from that, the only extra is the hot tub.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I stayed there when there was no deluxe tent. I wouldn't waste the 10K. The outdoor space is already plenty good (and I agree the outdoor shower is amazing). I'd save the money and add on an extra tour or a massage.

I still missed the place, and the elephants .....
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by adamak
I stayed there when there was no deluxe tent. I wouldn't waste the 10K. The outdoor space is already plenty good (and I agree the outdoor shower is amazing). I'd save the money and add on an extra tour or a massage.

I still missed the place, and the elephants .....
+1, I can't wait to be back.

On my next stay, I will request an upgrade to a deluxe tent, but will not pay an extra 10k THB for the addition of a hot tub.

Originally Posted by trojanman
One of my favorite features of the camp back in 2008 was the fact that all of the tents were the same. There was no hierarchy of deluxe rooms vs. presidential suites, etc...Everyone was on level playing field. To a certain degree, I am sad they added the deluxe tents. That said, the standard tents were quite amazing, and I can't imagine needing or wanting anything better.

I agree. I think they may have added the hot tubs to justify charging a rate premium for the tents with the better views. I previously thought it was nice that all tents were of the same category.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.