FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   I've never been in a luxury hotel, but... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1246554-ive-never-been-luxury-hotel-but.html)

Wild Wanderer Aug 10, 2011 2:43 pm

I've never been in a luxury hotel, but...

I'll be going to Zurich in early November and would like to book a room in one.

I am a novice traveler. So far I have stayed in 3* hotels and was satisfied. However, I'd like to go to a high-end hotel just to see what it's like. What would you recommend?

Please be aware that my budget is smallish, so the smaller the price the better. If you know of some coupons or something like that, that would be great.

Thanks a lot.

Musken Aug 10, 2011 2:52 pm

If you have a limited budget but want to try a luxury hotel, I would make sure you spend your money in the right hotel (Not sure if zürich has something good at all but others will answer that) and that you spend enough time there and have enough money to use facilities (restaurants, spa etc) so that you really get the experience. Just sleeping 5 star is not really always very different I mean).

Jaimito Cartero Aug 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Staying in a luxury hotel won't necessarily get you much of an experience. The best rooms, suites, etc are usually reserved for people who are paying big bucks for them, or the members of the hotel's frequent stay program.

You can easily drop $400+ a night, and get a room slightly bigger than Harry Potter's closet.

Hotel reward nights can be some of the better deals out there. Often you can get free stays for expensive properties, for stays made at cheap US properties. Otherwise, cheap and Zurich don't go together. :)

nba1017 Aug 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Wild Wanderer (Post 16897739)
I'll be going to Zurich in early November and would like to book a room in one.

I am a novice traveler. So far I have stayed in 3* hotels and was satisfied. However, I'd like to go to a high-end hotel just to see what it's like. What would you recommend?

Please be aware that my budget is smallish, so the smaller the price the better. If you know of some coupons or something like that, that would be great.

Thanks a lot.

Zurich is a tough place for real luxury on a relative budget.

The Dolder Grand is the premier resort, and though many of us here will nitpick about service and the like, it is definitely a 5-star property by any normal definition. I recall rates starting at ~600CHF, going up to 1000CHF for a junior suite.

The Baur au Lac, down by the water, is going to be in the similar price-range, as is the Widder.

The Park Hyatt generally goes for around 450CHF, but I wouldn't consider it to be as uniquely luxurious as the other three hotels mentioned, and if I were on a modest budget I would prefer to try to stretch my dollar (franc) to have a really great and unique experience. I think you'll find the Park Hyatt to be more of an upgraded business hotel than a true five-star
property and destination unto itself.

Musken gives good advice. Stay for more than one night, and book yourself a room category that you'll feel comfortable in (in many European luxury hotels, the entry room category can be little more than a closet). A place with great F&B/pool/spa/other facilities will obviously enhance your experience as well. Zurich is tough. Do you plan on being in the USA or Southeast Asia anytime soon? Rates in those regions are broadly and generally lower.

Wild Wanderer Aug 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks a lot for the prompt answers, guys!

Originally Posted by nba1017 (Post 16897919)

I realize that. I'd be happy to stay in other cities nearby Zurich like Basel or Luzerne if I can find something cheaper. But I guess Switzerland in general is very expensive?

Stewie Mac Aug 10, 2011 3:37 pm

Amen to that - really bad choice of locations to start looking for 5* budget :confused:

Originally Posted by nba1017
The Park Hyatt generally goes for around 450CHF

As a European Hyatt Diamond trying to get his 25 stays in, I wish... more like CHF850 (which is >$1000) :eek:

Jasper2009 Aug 10, 2011 3:52 pm

As others have said, getting a luxury hotel in Zurich at a decent price is pretty much impossible, and Switzerland in general is pretty expensive.

Not sure whether youŽre really looking for a true 5*, over-the-top experience (think top 10 hotels in the country) or whether a solid 4.5*+ hotel would be sufficient (e.g. Montreux Palace in Switzerland). I often find those hotels (think Fairmont, top Intercontinental/Hyatt hotels) to provide much better value for the money I spend, the marginal benefit of spending twice or triple at some point is minimal.

Wild Wanderer Aug 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Ah, another dream crushed. :D

I guess I'll have to wait until I go somewhere else where prices are lower.

By the way, I see that all these luxury hotels have pools, saunas and stuff like that. Is that included in the price, or you pay separately for that?

Jasper2009 Aug 10, 2011 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Wild Wanderer (Post 16898304)
Ah, another dream crushed. :D

I guess I'll have to wait until I go somewhere else where prices are lower.

By the way, I see that all these luxury hotels have pools, saunas and stuff like that. Is that included in the price, or you pay separately for that?

Pool and gym are usually included while spa access usually costs extra, though as always youŽll find exceptions to both statements.

FlyerEC Aug 10, 2011 5:14 pm

Enjoy Zurich or any other Swiss town.. Countryside

The Dolder Grand is the premier resort, and though many of us here will nitpick about service and the like, it is definitely a 5-star property by any normal definition. I recall rates starting at ~600CHF, going up to 1000CHF for a junior suite.

The Baur au Lac, down by the water, is going to be in the similar price-range, as is the Widder.

The Park Hyatt generally goes for around 450CHF, but I wouldn't consider it to be as uniquely luxurious as the other three hotels mentioned, and if I were on a modest budget I would prefer to try to stretch my dollar (franc) to have a really great and unique experience. I think you'll find the Park Hyatt to be

more of an upgraded business hotel than a true five-star

Musken gives good advice. Stay for more than one night, and book yourself a room category that you'll feel comfortable in (in many European luxury hotels,
the entry room category can be little more than a closet). A place with great
F&B/pool/spa/other facilities will obviously enhance your experience as well. Zurich is tough. Do you plan on being in the USA or Southeast Asia anytime soon? Rates in those regions are broadly and generally lower.

^

Perhaps you can try Interlaken:
Beau Rivage or pricier Victoria-Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa

There are also Beau Rivage in other Swiss towns like Luzerne

escog Aug 10, 2011 7:01 pm

The Park Hyatt generally goes for around 450CHF, but I wouldn't consider it to be as uniquely luxurious as the other three hotels mentioned, and if I were on a modest budget I would prefer to try to stretch my dollar (franc) to have a really great and unique experience. I think you'll find the Park Hyatt to be more of an upgraded business hotel than a true five-star

If you want to consider the Park Hyatt, the Hyatt visa comes with 2 free nights anywhere in the world (with $75 annual fee):

https://www.mychasecreditcards.com/hyatt

Though, I'm given to understand that are other Hyatt hotels that are closer to 5* luxury, so you might want to save this offer for one of those.

Kagehitokiri Aug 10, 2011 8:46 pm

could redeem 1 night at PH zurich since there

then 1 night at PH paris

PH moscow is the only other one of similar value

Wild Wanderer, what is your location, and other upcoming destinations?

Innerloop Aug 10, 2011 10:33 pm

My experience with Luxury hotels pales compared to some here, but for a best "bang for the buck experience" to try one out for the first time, for around or below $500/night, check out:

* Hualalai Four Seasons in Hawaii
* Intercontinental Thalasso in Bora Bora (over-water bungalow)
* Elysian Hotel in Chicago
* Calistoga Ranch (Spa suite)

At all of these properties I felt the value exceeded the price. Resort properties I think tend to give better value for the dollar than in-city locations. Obviously the price of going all the way to Tahiti adds to the price!

Also avoid places where the currency is extremely strong relative to the Dollar, everything will seem overpriced and low value (Switzerland may be the absolute WORST at the moment for currency valuation).

Right now United States (which has some amazing properties) is perhaps the best value. It used to be different and even Japan was a bargain at one point, but no longer does the dollar go far overseas. Avoid UK as well, $500/night doesn't get anything that will wow you.

Places with individual bungalow-style rooms also tend to feel like you're getting more "wow" for your dollar, versus a high-rise.

GetSetJetSet Aug 11, 2011 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 16899902)
could redeem 1 night at PH zurich since there

then 1 night at PH paris

PH moscow is the only other one of similar value

I despise the Park Hyatt in Paris. I enjoyed the Park Hyatt's in Seoul and Saigon as well. The one in Tokyo is supposed to be nice as well, but I prefer the Peninsula there.

Wild Wanderer Aug 11, 2011 6:53 am

Thanks a lot guys! I feel really small surrounded by you. :D I am just a student who loves traveling and happens to be able to afford a trip here and there. Anyway, I don't think I'll be able to afford something luxurious in Zurich. The prices are huge. I'll do it on another trip...

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 16899902)

I'm from Europe. I am planning 2 or 3 trips for next year, with the destinations being Istanbul (Turkey) and Duesseldorf (Germany).