Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yangon, Myanmar

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Yangon, Myanmar

I understand the two best hotels are The Strand (LHW) and The Governor's Residence (Orient Express). Does anyone have thoughts on the best hotel and also restaurant recomendations?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I just stayed at The Strand and can recommend it. It's not luxury as you would find in most places, but for the area it is probably as good as it gets. It has a nice colonial-building feel, with comfortable rooms and a decent bar (though the restaurant didn't look very interesting).

I also looked at the Governor's Residence, but it's outside the center of town. So of course depends on what you're looking for. I have also stayed at Trader's, far from luxury but probably the best in terms of amenities, and right at the main intersection in the city.

As for the food, I went to a number of local places (you need help from the locals, and I had difficulty trying to get the hotel staff to steer me to an authentic one), including an outdoor Chinese barbeque joint, where you choose your raw food and they grill it, and a couple of typical Myanmar places and street outlets. None blew me away. I also went to very modern, upscale pan-Asian bistro, basically around the corner from The Strand, whose names escapes me at the moment. It must be the nicest non-hotel restaurant in town, and was decent as a oasis from the streets.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Very helpful, mecabq. Thank you.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
We stayed at the Governor's Residence several years ago and also ate at the Strand. The Strand is a bit more formal, there were only 2 or three other tables filled for dinner and while across from the river there is not much around the area. I very much liked the area around the governor's residence as it is a quiet more residential and diplomatic area. It has a nice pool as well. I think there were some casual restaurants and shopping close to the hotel

There was at the time a french/continental restaurant LePlanteur that was in an old villa. It will be tourists only. The night we were there there were maybe a hundred college students from the semester at sea program, with tables set up on a large lawn. It actually felt like an outdoor reception.

Traders is right across the street from Scott Market so location is good. As we had a late flight into Bangkok, we had a room there for half a day as a place to leave luggage and freshen up before our flight.

Also remember that many places do not take credit cards, sometimes even the hotels and there are no ATM's

If you are going to Myanmar, dont miss Inle Lake. It is a very special place.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: DL PM
I also stayed at the Governor's Residence and loved it though it is outside of town a bit. Their restaurant was quite good at the time and very romantic/atmospheric at night with the outdoor tables on the veranda facing the lantern lit gardens and the pool is lovely after a hot day touring. As for restaurants, there were none that I can recommend anywhere other than Bagan, which, along with Inle Lake, you shouldn't miss. Burma is a very special destination.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Gold
Traders Yangon

Did Traders take a credit card. I'm looking at staying there in Feb 2012. Appreciate any insight as it doesn't look like there is too much discussion on Yangon.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by goingmobile
Did Traders take a credit card. I'm looking at staying there in Feb 2012. Appreciate any insight as it doesn't look like there is too much discussion on Yangon.
No. You cannot use a credit card anywhere in the country. There are no ATMs, there's no ability to use a credit card. The only way you can use a credit card is to prepay from outside the country. Otherwise it is cash only.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Both Trader's and Strand accept credit cards. They basically wrote down the number, faxed or e-mailed it to a processing center (in Singapore I think), and got approval that way. It took a couple of extra minutes in each case, but was fairly transparent to the customer, so worked OK.

Of course this is subject to change, but this was the case in June when I was there.

P.S. The modern, upscale restaurant that I referred to in my earlier post is called Monsoon.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:57 pm

Singapore is the clearing center for credit card transactions. The best method of payment should be prepayment. If that is not a possibility bring cash Although the credit card processing may work it can't be counted on. Good news travels is a reputable travel agency there or others outside the country can assist.

Definitely bring cash as commerce is flourishing in Scott market and local markets even without ATMs.

It's also a place to bring non controversial items such as classic books school supplies or shoes clothes that can be left for the many that do not have access to basic items
Old Sep 17, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Gold
Great idea Worldiswide, will bring some school supplies. Thanks for the feedback all. Looking forward to the trip and if anyone has additional input, I'm open to all.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:08 pm

Besides Yangon what else is on your itinerary and are you part of a group?

Inle Lake is not to be missed location.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Definitely the best hotels are the Strand and the Governor's Residence and they are priced to match. Trader or Sedona are probably the most cost effective hotels.

As well as la Planteur (French) there is L'Opera (Italian) that do very good food. Slightly less formal is the garden Bistro at Signature which I think it very nice. There are decent Thai restaurants all over town. There is a restaurant at the top of the Sakura Tower (opposite Traders hotel) the food is nothing special but the views are great. If you want something a bit cheaper there is a chain of restaurants called Feel. They are inexpensive and do good safe local food.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:05 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Besides Yangon what else is on your itinerary and are you part of a group?

Inle Lake is not to be missed location.
Perhaps The Road to Mandalay cruise by Orient-Express is something to consider??
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

Lobster, welcome to FlyerTalk and thanks for sharing information about Myanmar. It sounds as though you have spent quite a bit of time there. You found restaurants about which we did not know.

We ate at Monsoon, mentioned upthread, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by luxury
Perhaps The Road to Mandalay cruise by Orient-Express is something to consider??

The road to Mandalay was a wonderful experience. We did it several years ago before the floods in the river and I believe the boat has been redone. Highly recommended. We did 3 days and I with we had done more. The scenery passing along the riverbanks was of times gone by with great daily activities off the boat and good food when we returned from the day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.