Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Thanks Luxury Hotel Forum! Amandari, Amankila, and Al Maha Trip Report

Old Jul 10, 2011, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver

Thank you to everyone in the Luxury Hotel Forum who provided such invaluable assistance in informing me and answering questions prior to my recent trip!!

I recently posted a comprehensive trip report (300 plus photos) and extensive narrative in the Trip Reports Forum.

Included are extensive photos and narratives for Amandari, Amankila, and Al Maha which you can skip to if you like:

Amandari:
Here and
Here.

Amankila:
Here and
Here.

Al Maha:
Here.

Included in the TR are my detailed impressions of what it was like to be a first-time Aman guest, and also my attempt to describe what sets Aman apart.

Thanks again everyone; what a great resource this forum is!!

Last edited by blueline7; Jul 10, 2011 at 5:44 pm
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:04 pm
Community Director Emerita

What wonderful reports about each hotel, and what a perfect way to lead us to your report in another forum. Your pictures had me immediately craving Bali. And then your words created pictures of your experience that couldn't be conveyed with photos. Thank you for all your work on this remarkable report.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:33 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I started to follow the TR in the TR forum and cannot wait to have some time to sit and enjoy the rest!! Fantastic work and is one of the reasons the Luxury Hotels forum is as great as it is today with so many outstanding contributions and contributors!!
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:48 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Blueline7, you made me a little misty with your detailed photos from Dari and Kila. So many wonderful memories!!!!! Thank you for taking the time to put all of this together. I am currently struggling to get through Morocco and Italy photos and I know how much effort this requires.

We are so happy to have you here on flyertalk.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:12 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Wow. What a beautiful trip report! What a fantastic way to describe what makes amans so special! Thank you so much. Looking forward to your next trip and feel sure that you have not been to your last aman.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:18 am

Great Report Blueline7, it's great to hear that an Amanewbie is seriously impressed with the Balinese resorts!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Nice trip report, thanks for sharing. ^

But just one observation. I live in Indonesia, and those food pics like satay and Nasi Goreng you posted are actually very common food found everywhere in Indonesia and available for a few bucks from canteens in shopping malls to streetside stalls. Not quite sure why you will call them the "Best Food you ever have" and "inspired and experienced cooking".

Oh well, maybe it just extra tasty when they are served at Aman resorts.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Nice trip report, thanks for sharing. ^

But just one observation. I live in Indonesia, and those food pics like satay and Nasi Goreng you posted are actually very common food found everywhere in Indonesia and available for a few bucks from canteens in shopping malls to streetside stalls. Not quite sure why you will call them the "Best Food you ever have" and "inspired and experienced cooking".

Oh well, maybe it just extra tasty when they are served at Aman resorts.
Many thanks for the kind words. You raise an interesting question about why I said that it was "the best food that I ever had". When I was writing that line I did question it myself and perhaps I should have said "tied" or "amongst" the best food I ever had". But to answer your question, undoubtedly some of the enjoyment came from the beautiful environment and the terrific service, but beyond that, I would suggest that even simple and common foods, can be done extraordinarily well. For example, while in Ubud I had a nasi goreng (or bami goreng - I always mix them up!) at a decent restaurant, and there is a picture of this dish in my report. It was very good, and I enjoyed it, but it was nothing compared to the presentation, ingredients, and flavour of the versions which I enjoyed at Amandari and Amankila, respectively (and there is a picture of at least one of these latter dishes in the report as well). I just loved the way that the chefs prepared these dishes and savoured every mouthful. Given, I also love a boiled Maine Lobster or Montreal Smoked Meat from Schwartz's, and these latter two dishes are also amongst the best food I ever had, but the Aman dishes, even though the gorengs were common dishes, were superbly executed, well balanced, beautifully presented, and delicious as can be, and since I had their Indonesian dishes (some of which I did no picture) several times, I saw that they were consistently excellent, and it was not a fluke. Here are some shots of a couple additional dishes which I enjoyed at Amankila:

This was an appetizer chicken salad with coriander and garlic. Was beautiful and delicious! Was from a daily special menu at Amankila. They made it special for me without onions.

Here is a mixed Indonesian grill dish:

Here is a club sandwich with chicken, egg, cheese, tomato, and avocado:

Last edited by blueline7; Jul 11, 2011 at 11:33 am
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:28 pm

Wow, I am excited now for our Amandari (4 nights) and Amankila (5 nights) trip. We were getting a little worried about Amandari, but your photos and descriptions affirms that it will be perfect for us. Thank you for the trip report and gorgeous photos.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:05 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by adiaphane_ft
Wow, I am excited now for our Amandari (4 nights) and Amankila (5 nights) trip. We were getting a little worried about Amandari, but your photos and descriptions affirms that it will be perfect for us. Thank you for the trip report and gorgeous photos.
^
Really appreciate the report (s) & photos too, as you said, the food maybe ' simple everyday ' but Aman does not only present well but does a wonderful authentic representation - yes, comfort food for those from the region
I too am looking forward to another ' home ' visit next month - with the ' clan ' this time.
Any other Amanjunkies/Flyertalkers in the vicinity then?
Know that Aman is very full - after all, it is high season in Bali ..
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blueline7
I will be focusing a little more on my attempt to unravel the mystery of Aman Resorts. Part of my mission was to find out, 'Why all the fuss about Aman', and I did in fact get to the bottom of this question.
Upon arrival, I was met after alighting from the Jetbridge, by a private arrival service representative contracted by Amandari, who guided me effortlessly through all the various immigration and security queues in a somewhat chaotic environment. This was an invaluable service and saved a lot of time and a big headache upon arrival. The airport was very, very busy, and being able to jump just about every queue was a god-send. The arrival service is included by Aman, and makes selecting Aman a very good choice, although I understand some arrival services are available for the general public as well. Arrival service in Bali is a must in my opinion.

The arrival service representative assisted me in collecting my luggage, and then passed me along to a white clad Amandari employee who greeted me and assisted me in the rest of the way to the waiting Amandari vehicle. The vehicle was not a luxury vehicle, but was a comfortable and clean mini van, and I was offered a cold cloth, a cold bottle of water, and some peanut snacks for the hour or so drive to Amandari, which is located in Ubud, to the north of the airport. The extremely pleasant and efficient arrival made me feel welcome and extraordinarily well taken care of, and the pleasant drive with a very helpful driver who explained many things about Bali along the way, was an extraordinary way to arrive. It was an appropriate introduction to Aman Resorts.
very impressive effort detailing your thoughts on your first aman stay

you need to take your wife on a cruise to asia to stay at some amanresorts

one question - was there humidity at al maha? ~50 with 0 humidity didnt bother me in scottsdale. its the humidity i cant stand.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 31, 2017 at 4:29 pm
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
you need to take your wife on a cruise to asia to stay at some amanresorts

one question - was there humidity at al maha? ~50 with 0 humidity didnt bother me in scottsdale. its the humidity i cant stand.
Many thanks for your kind words, Kagehitokiri!!

Yes, a cruise to Asia is probably the answer (for my non-flying wife), but problem is getting to the departure point! Can I get to the Summer Palace via Boston harbour??

To answer your other question, there was no humidity at Al Maha, so it was much more tolerable than a hot and humid climate.....it was just plain hot
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:34 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Many thanks for your kind words, Kagehitokiri!!

Yes, a cruise to Asia is probably the answer (for my non-flying wife), but problem is getting to the departure point! Can I get to the Summer Palace via Boston harbour??

To answer your other question, there was no humidity at Al Maha, so it was much more tolerable than a hot and humid climate.....it was just plain hot
You could do VIA to Vancouver then cruise to Asia -- just take a one year sabbatical and you should be able to manage it!!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:56 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by luxury
You could do VIA to Vancouver then cruise to Asia -- just take a one year sabbatical and you should be able to manage it!!
What a brilliant suggestion! Have only done VIA part way.. Wonder if the security checks are less cumbersome too
Will possibly try next year..
Then can stop at the various Amans nearer the coast or train in again or by river!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.