Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gallivanter's Guide Forum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Try GoogleEarthing her house, for instance . . . she seems to be living a bit vicariously.
I saw this statement when it was originally posted and regretfully never responded at the time. I have now stumbled across it again, and wish to express myself that this kind of ad hominem attack was not necessary and was unbecoming to the poster, who I see from other posts is an accomplished traveler and a contributor to this forum. I do not know Ms. Middlehurst personally, nor have I subscribed to her guide, but I am sure that this kind of hurtful commentary is undeserving given her unparalleled and arguably legendary accomplishments in luxury travel. Maybe Pausanias got caught up in a bit of over-enthusiasm at the moment and wishes to retract and publicly apologize? I am sure we have all done similar regrettable and uncharacteristic things in the moment, and I for one would appreciate the magnanimity of such a gesture in this forum.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, then maybe someone can explain to me the original statement as well as why it is vicarious or in any way insulting to have said that. Going to the postcode of the subscription address on the webpage and doing Google earth on it appears to show a group of houses in a semi-rural area near Malmsbury.

I have driven around Malmsbury in the past since our company's UK office was not far away in Chippenham, and this area doesn't seem 'vicarious' to me.

There is a royal residence called Highgrove in Tetbury not so far away, but this isn't it. There is also a hotel, Whatley Manner, not far away (which I have stayed in) and similarly, this isn't it either. So I am puzzled as to what is going on in this discussion!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So I am puzzled as to what is going on in this discussion!
Richard, respectfully, I thought that the implication of the statement was clear and, as you put it, insulting, i.e. that the subject was a "poseur" based upon where she lives. If others don't see it that way, then perhaps I am the one that owes an apology here.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Ms Middlehusrt - The Wild Rabbit and the Barnsley House? Aw please...
(I thought I had the Cotswold Life free magazine in my hands). Please don't waste the guide's pages on the Dormey House in future issues :-((
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by namaguide
Ms Middlehusrt - The Wild Rabbit and the Barnsley House? Aw please...
(I thought I had the Cotswold Life free magazine in my hands). Please don't waste the guide's pages on the Dormey House in future issues :-((
Unfortunately, in my local, I'm a few weeks away from receiving the newest copy. Considering I have no access to what is up and coming in GB I look forward to receiving reading an update.

I greatly enjoyed what I read recently in her Thailand edition. Fantastic in-depth coverage of the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok. Though, I would have appreciated a few words on the St. Regis and Four Seasons...
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Unfortunately, in my local, I'm a few weeks away from receiving the newest copy. Considering I have no access to what is up and coming in GB I look forward to receiving reading an update.

I greatly enjoyed what I read recently in her Thailand edition. Fantastic in-depth coverage of the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok. Though, I would have appreciated a few words on the St. Regis and Four Seasons...
The Four Seasons in Bangkok is sub-standard by any measure. That is likely why it was not included. I am not familiar with the St. Regis.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by speedbird001
The Four Seasons in Bangkok is sub-standard by any measure. That is likely why it was not included. I am not familiar with the St. Regis.
I hear you, Speedbird001. But, she often reviews subpar properties and sometimes they listen and improve after receiving her public recommendations. I've also heard that this property is scheduled for major renovations for the end of this year.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
But, she often reviews subpar properties and sometimes they listen and improve after receiving her public recommendations.
Or they were just fine to start with and pay her no mind.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:50 pm
Suspended

^ +1 to namaguide, mike_la_jolla, Pausanias and Raffles

Whereas I opine that the G. Guide is a nice business idea and it undoubtedly has value for luxury / travel beginners, I don't like how the author is politicking, including "incognito" on this forum.

I also opine that the G. Guide became the main feeder for an insecure, gullible, 360°-minimalistic "je suis arrivee"-clientele that took the sex appeal out of the Aman brand, at least for quite some time.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue

Whereas I opine that the G. Guide is a nice business idea and it undoubtedly has value for luxury / travel beginners, I don't like how the author is politicking, including "incognito" on this forum.

I also opine that the G. Guide became the main feeder for an insecure, gullible, 360°-minimalistic "je suis arrivee"-clientele that took the sex appeal out of the Aman brand, at least for quite some time.
Yes. just yes. ^
Old Jun 22, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue

I am with you there 100% ^
Too passé. The world has moved on... I really cannot see the rave about DM's photos...really?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:04 am

Do people still subscribe to it ? Or pay money for it ? I saw a copy of it and wondered what the fuss was about and definitely wondered what's the big deal with the pics .
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by bearbrick
Do people still subscribe to it ? Or pay money for it ? I saw a copy of it and wondered what the fuss was about and definitely wondered what's the big deal with the pics .
+1
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick
I am a subscriber and very happy with the publication.

Some of the comments in this thread seem a bit mean spirited toward the editor and her subscribers. If you don't like the publication, why not just ignore it?

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jun 23, 2015 at 2:30 am
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:11 am

I am a paying subscriber and I think it is fine. Coverage can be improved but I do like what she writes about

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.