Search

Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:17 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong

I was very hesitant to stay at this hotel on only its third day of operation. The location is a bit remote. And I've had mixed experiences with RC properties in the the U.S.

However, my wife really does not like classical old world style hotels so the Peninsula and the MO were out. The rooms at the LMO have unremarkable views. And my stay last year at the IC was very disappointing. And while we considered the FS, my wife found the novelty of staying at a new hotel very appealing.

Luxury who is now a RC STARS agent made the booking for me. I booked a club deluxe room which offers a city view. He was able to confirm a one-category to a club harbour view room a few weeks before arrival date (Thanks so much, Luxury!)

Some highlights:

- While there were a few minor shortcomings (all of them probably due to the hotel being new), overall our stay was fantastic and we are eager to return this hotel for another stay.

- We received a corner room. Based on the floor plan, corner rooms are classified in the deluxe room category but appear to be larger than other deluxe rooms. Corner rooms also have bay windows. Though our room category was supposed to be harbour view (but not Victoria Harbour view), because of the corner position, we had a partial Victora Harbour view. We were able to see the Conrad and Island Shangri-La and buildings to the east but not the west (Bank of China, MO, FS, etc.).

- This 24-hour club lounge was the best club lounge of any hotel I've been to. Excellent food selection. Eight types of wine plus Billecart-Salmon Champagne available 24 hours a day. I could easily spend a few hours here reading, eating, and drinking. Herve who is the Club Manager and his team really went above and beyond to make our stay special. Herve in particular really is a gifted individual who was eager to please without being obsequious.

- Health club was very nice with spectacular views from the excercise machines and pool. There are two cold plunge pools and semi-covered outdoor jacuzzi. There is also a large semi-covered outdoor terrace with lounge chairs for those who want some fresh air (despite the pollution coming from the mainland factories).

- Service throughout the hotel was outstanding, especially since it was in its first week of operation.

- Toiletries in the deluxe rooms are from Asprey. I'm guessing the suites get better toiletries.

Here are some photos:

Corner room views

Lounge chair

Floor plan of floor 115

Shower

Closet

Club letter

Welcome amenity

Bathroom sink

View from our corner room

Club lounge

Club lounge

Club lounge

Club lounge egg station

Club lounge

Club lounge buffet

Club lounge buffet

Club lounge buffet

Sorry I'm not posting any picture of the bed. I took photos of the room in the morning and the bed was messy. The desk was also cluttered with my stuff.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by francophile; Apr 4, 2011 at 11:49 pm
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Club lounge

Club lounge living room

Club lounge board room

Club lounge computer room

Club lounge

Club lounge

Hotel restaurant

Lobby

Hotel restaurant

Hotel restaurant

Last edited by francophile; Apr 4, 2011 at 11:27 pm
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wow ^ glad it went well

Originally Posted by francophile
a few minor shortcomings (all of them probably due to the hotel being new)
such as?

did you check-in at club lounge?

floor plan suggests you were in club jr suite?

did you visit floor 114?

$500 dlx 50m2
>
$1675 73m2 prem
........ 73m2 prem island
........ 115m2 prem exec
........ 180m2 specialty
........ 365m2 ritz carlton

hotel on 102-118 incl 312 rooms on 106-117

114 (2 categories - club harbor island, specialty)

116 860m2 spa, club lounge, (3 categories - club harbor island, prem exec, specialty)

117 (club dlx, club dlx harbor, club harbor island, club jr, ritz carlton)
seems likely to be 18 club room, 7 club jr, 1 ritz carlton

118 pool, gym, 1 restaurant

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 5, 2011 at 12:35 am
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:47 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
How did you find the location?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:39 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Looks swanky! I have been wanting to try out this hotel since it was first annouced ( I'm a sucker for high-rise hotels with great views ). From the photos you took, the place looks first class. But kinda deserted?

Not quite like the layout of the lounge, a bit too "restaurant" like. I prefer lounge with spacious sitting areas. But still very nice. The food servings do looks generous. How's the service?

Regardless, I'm booked for 3 nights in June. Hope they have worked out all the kinks by then.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:23 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
You're a rock star, Francophile. Thank you for this great photo report!

I'd love to hear how these views compare to the other "view" hotels in HK.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:47 am

Staying there next month. After looking at the various photos posted, I am now really looking forward to it. Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Great report. I'd hate to be the one that has to clean those windows. Yikes!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:26 pm

Looks nice! Any chance of getting any room night shots?

BTW, the MO is considered old world?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:22 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Ericka
You're a rock star, Francophile. Thank you for this great photo report!

I'd love to hear how these views compare to the other "view" hotels in HK.
Better view from the Kowloon hotels Pen/IC/Sheraton etc. maybe W is comparable. Really surprised at the poor quality of the room furnishings, maybe it just doesn't photograph well but Sheraton Towers had better fabrics and bath fittings then this; quite a step down from Pen/FS/MO in quality, ignoring style. Though I would not call the style modern, more like international vanilla; bland and boring but safe and functional, chosen for long life and practicality rather than to impress. Which isn't bad. Great photos, kudos to the OP for letting us all see and judge.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

such as?

did you check-in at club lounge?

floor plan suggests you were in club jr suite?

did you visit floor 114?
Yes, I did check-in at the club lounge. Initially I went to the front desk on the 103rd floor to check-in but one of the employees asked me if I had a reservation in a club room and then led me to the elevator to the 116th floor.

I think you are correct that I was given a 3-level upgrade from a club deluxe room to a club junior suite. The room certainly felt larger than 50 sq meters. When I went to the RC web site, I didn't see the club junior suite category under the club level tab so I assumed the corner rooms were also deluxe rooms but now I see the club junior suite category under the suites tab.

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...ms/Default.htm

I'm guessing I was given a 2-level upgrade because Luxury is a RC STARS agent and was further given another level upgrade because I am a Marriott Rewards platinum member.

While the extra living area and the bay windows were very nice, I'm not sure it is worth paying the extra HK$2,000 for this room category over the standard club deluxe room.

While my stay was very enjoyable, there were a few minor inconveniences that I attribute to the hotel's infancy:

- We requested and was granted an early check-in of 10:00am. After enjoying a Champagne breakfast in the club lounge, we decided to go see our room. When we opened the door to our room we were surprised to find three contractors installing a new DVD and putting the finishing touches to the entertainment unit. The contractors were most apologetic about it and said they would be done in 15 minutes which they kept their word. It helped that I speak Cantonese. Somehow Herve the club manager found out about this and called our room to apologize profusely. We went back upstairs to the club lounge for more Champagne and he came over to our table and apologized again and told us that he would send housekeeping to tidy up our room and remove any dust left over from the installation.

- My wife said that the water in the main pool was too cold for a swim. Perhaps it needed to be heated a little bit more.

- While an attendant was staffed within the gym and pool area, there was no attendant at the entrance area to direct guests to the locker room and show them around the facilities. There is a welcome desk so hopefully they will soon put an attendant there. The lockers have electronic locks where you punch in your own PIN. It took me awhile to figure it out on my own but someone who is less technically savvy might have a more frustrating time. The music in the locker room was pulsating and would fit right in at a W hotel. I think music that is more spa-like would be more appropriate.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
How did you find the location?
The Kowloon station is located underneath the hotel but you have to walk pass all the high-end store like Cartier and Bulgari to get there. The Kowloon station is only one stop from Central and is on the Airport Express line. It did take us 20 minutes by taxi to get to the Star Ferry as we were sitting in traffic during evening rush hour and almost missed our Symphony of Lights cruise on the Aqua Luna boat. However, during other times of the day, I would imagaine it would take only 10 minutes to get to the Peninsula.

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Looks swanky! I have been wanting to try out this hotel since it was first annouced ( I'm a sucker for high-rise hotels with great views ). From the photos you took, the place looks first class. But kinda deserted?

Not quite like the layout of the lounge, a bit too "restaurant" like. I prefer lounge with spacious sitting areas. But still very nice. The food servings do looks generous. How's the service?
Service in the club lounge was impeccable and extremely attentive. It was kind of deserted. On Friday morning, my wife and I were the only guests in the club lounge for breakfast and we were there for almost an hour!

The lounge does have living rooms of about 25 sq meters at both ends so there are secluded sitting areas.

The Peninsula, MO, and FS seem to have done a good job of preventing employees from defecting to the RC. I spoke with a handful of employees and asked them where they worked previously. All of them worked at 4.5 star hotels such as GH, Grand Stanford IC, and Kowloon SL. Herve is from the Portman Ritz-Carlton Shanghai.

Originally Posted by Shangri-La
Looks nice! Any chance of getting any room night shots?

BTW, the MO is considered old world?
Unfortunately, I only too pictures during the day. While the MO is certainly not old like the great palace hotels of Europe, the MO certainly is historical compared to other HK hotels
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Thank you Francophile for your inspiring review and photos. You made me want to jet off to HK tomorrow and get a club room for a week.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for staying and sharing so soon after opening. I'm somewhat considering switching an upcoming stay from FS to RC depending on reports like this over the next month or so.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:30 pm

HKG has so many top-notch hotels, and detailed reports such as yours help me decide where to stay next. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.