Search

Babymoon Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, CO Silver, SPG Gold
Babymoon Recommendation

All,

My wife's due date is fast approaching (end of July) and we are thinking of taking a babymoon over Memorial Day weekend. We both love the beach and would usually go to Turks & Caicos. However, given my wife will be 32 weeks pregnant, we figure that it is probably best to stay in the Continental U.S.

We live in New York, so Florida is the obvious destination. Wanted to get some recommendations for a nice resort with great beach / water. Not predisposed to one area or another. Looking to spend around $500/night.

Thanks!
Old May 2, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
We have been going to the Cloister at Sea Island for years and I have seen some great deals recently. Memorial Day is a very nice time of year down there.

For some a little less lavish, we like the Watercolor Inn in the charming new urbanist Watercolor resort near Panama City. The beach in that part of the panhandle is spectacular.
Old May 2, 2011, 3:31 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I continue to maintain that Acqualina is one of the best products in South Florida. Family friendly so you might run in to a lot of poolside families, except at the adult only pool obviously. Oceanfront rooms are upgrading to 1 bedroom oceanfront suites in May
Old May 2, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL PM
Our favorite destination within the US for beautiful beaches and quality food is the area along Highway 30A/Beach of South Walton; the area Valveking mentioned previously in the Florida panhandle. There are small (mostly upscale) resort-like communities dotting the highway such as Alys Beach, WaterColor, WaterSound, Rosemary Beach, and Seaside.

One reason I like this area best is because of the strict zoning/ordinances. It is not as "touristy" as other beach destinations in the US. Many of these communities were modeled after the new urban movement; high rise buildings are not the norm (I think there are only two near the Santa Rosa Beach area that were there before the current laws passed). Most of the communities I mentioned are only comprised of luxury cottages and vacation homes, along with a few restaurants and small shops.

If you are looking for a hotel feel, the WaterColor Inn mentioned may be the closest match for beach front, but reviews can be mixed. We had dinner at their Fish Out of Water restaurant after the chef was nominated for a James Beard award. We had an experience so disappointing we vowed to never eat there again, even though I normally give a place a few tries before marking it on/off our list.

We usually stay in the one-bedroom beach front cottages within the Seaside community since we are right on the beach with privacy and quiet, but still have amenities through their Cottage Rental Agency. It isn't a traditional "resort" in that the cottages and homes are detached and room service is not an option, but daily housekeeping is included and they have concierge service that can help with bikes, stocking refrigerator, etc. A cooler tote bag with wine and some other treats are usually in the room upon arrival. Restaurants and shops are within walking distance, or you can drive and check out other communities too. You'll want to be diligent in selecting your cottage though, some have been renovated and others are showing some wear. (One-bedroom beach front options include Beachfront Cottages #1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, Honeymoon Cottage, Sweetie Pie, Gift By the Sea and Honeybee.) The price point is usually around $350-450/night with all the taxes and fees added in.

The Alys Beach community is my favorite architecturally, but last I checked they do not have any one-bedroom beach front options.

If you end up any where near the 30A area and need/want restaurant info feel free to PM me. I have a few old trip reports from my pre-Flytertalk days on my computer that include restaurant reviews, and I'll be headed down there later this month and can update my restaurant notes.

Most of the time the water is gorgeous, blue-green and clear with white sand. During July 2009, we talked some friends into going who always heard me praise the area and sadly the gorgeous water took a vacation during the same week. I don't know what happened to the crystal clear turquoise water, but it had been replaced by brown seaweed and by the end of the week jellyfish came out to play. I felt terrible that a friend and her family were spending their vacation days at a beach that was not at all like they expected. We now stick with April, May, and/or September which have been safer bets.

If you expand the search outside Florida, in my US-beach folder I have a few notes re: Sanctuary at Kiaweh Island, Inn at Palmetto Bluff (on a river, 12 miles to Hilton Head beach), and The Cloister at Sea Island mentioned previously in this thread. I haven't stayed at any of them, but have them bookmarked as domestic beach accommodation options for the future.

Last edited by umbrella007; May 2, 2011 at 7:54 pm Reason: typo
Old May 4, 2011, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by ABG
I continue to maintain that Acqualina is one of the best products in South Florida. Family friendly so you might run in to a lot of poolside families, except at the adult only pool obviously. Oceanfront rooms are upgrading to 1 bedroom oceanfront suites in May
I agree with this and spent Memorial Day weekend there two or three years ago. We stayed in the 1 bedroom oceanfront suite referenced above, and it was very nice.

Memorial Day Weekend is Urban Beach Weekend in Miami. Sunny Isles Florida, where Aqualina is located, is outside of the crush of people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.