Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report: Amanpuri and Trisara, Phuket, Thalland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:23 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

You can ask for a TV and a mattress topper for the bed while you are still there.

Totally agree you should not go there if you are not able and willing to walk stairs etc. And really they need to do something about the toilet at the beach! It sounds like that is still the way it was when we were there many years ago.

Regarding the pretty cold service - at least from some employees - we had the exact same feeling as I also wrote in my report. I have understood later that there is a huge gap between service you get when you stay in a villa and service you get if you are just a normal guest, which is really not acceptable at an Aman!

Last edited by Musken; Apr 9, 2015 at 3:29 am
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Musken
which is really not acceptable at an Aman!
Especially as the hardware doesn´t explain the price-differnce to Trisara. So Service must be perfect
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:32 am

Thanks so much for this. We're visiting Phuket at Christmas, not as our main holiday, but as it's so far to travel to we're going there before heading onto Amanpulo for 7 nights and Amanjiwo for 3 nights. Currently I've booked Iniala in Phuket for 3 nights and Trisara for 1, but your report is making me think to change it to Amanpuri and make it our (lucky) number 13 Aman resort.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:59 pm

I've done Amanpuri in a villa and in a pavilion. Let's say the respective umbrellas are a good indicator for the pecking order at this resort. @:-)
A villa is pure bliss - but I'm not sure about the value.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:17 pm

What is the difference between villas and pavilions umbrellas?
So far the only Aman with different guests categories we stayed at (villas / more 'standard' accommodation) was Pulo and clearly service was below. In the future I will try to avoid these ones so for sure Puri is not for me.

PS: I just realise that it is probably quite common to offer better service to higher accommodation. Last Summer at MO Bangkok during breakfast when guests staying in large suites were coming to the terrace the manager on duty quickly changed the flowers on the table, helping staff to identify which tables deserved more attention.

Last edited by Pierre&Cédric; Apr 9, 2015 at 10:28 pm
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
What is the difference between villas and pavilions umbrellas?
While the pavilion ones are nice, villa umbrellas are huge and oversized and have "Amanpuri Villas" logos on it. Bold.
It's just a detail that shows the priorities at this resort.

Last Summer at MO Bangkok during breakfast when guests staying in large suites were coming to the terrace the manager on duty quickly changed the flowers on the table, helping staff to identify which tables deserved more attention.
That's interesting.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Just got back. Will post review of Puri as soon as I can. Dealing with a bit of jet lag right now...

In short, time makes the heart grow fonder, and as days pass I look upon my stay at the Aman much more favorably than when I was actually there....maybe my in-the-moment expectations were too high?

Look forwarding to seeing Amanoi and Amantaka next year

FWIW, the Siam is probably my favorite hotel in the world right now...
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
In short, time makes the heart grow fonder, and as days pass I look upon my stay at the Aman much more favorably than when I was actually there....maybe my in-the-moment expectations were too high?
I think that's just life. You notice points at the resort, but they don't stop you having a fantastic holiday at the end of it and leaving with fond memories. I find it needs to be rather severe for you to leave with a bad taste and the only Aman I've had that with was Amangiri.

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Look forwarding to seeing Amanoi and Amantaka next year
Amanoi is an absolutely incredible property, but just be prepared to spend almost all of your time not doing much. You will certainly find that the TV being in the room comes in very useful! This was fine for us for 4 nights, but not for everyone. I do still dream about their coconut creme brulee though. The chef ended up making it for me for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So I don't hijack this thread, I'm happy to answer any points in a PM if you wanted any advice around it.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
PS: I just realise that it is probably quite common to offer better service to higher accommodation. Last Summer at MO Bangkok during breakfast when guests staying in large suites were coming to the terrace the manager on duty quickly changed the flowers on the table, helping staff to identify which tables deserved more attention.
Sounds like it really is the best hotel in the world At the Moment I tend to book a Villa at Siam and split Phuket between Trisara and Amanpuri. But changes weekly....
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
Sounds like it really is the best hotel in the world At the Moment I tend to book a Villa at Siam and split Phuket between Trisara and Amanpuri. But changes weekly....
I don't think the villas are the best choice at the Siam. We found ours a bit disjointed and the outside space was not that appealing. Next time I would opt for a river view suite.

Just to add that we had very good service at Amanpuri recently so I am not sure what happened during Pricesquire's stay. I do agree about the loos on the beach, as they are awful and also mosquito infested.

We were told that Amanpuri attempts to direct the hotel guests to the original beach below the steps and the villa guests to the large beach in front of naoki, although you can obviously lie wherever you want. I personally find the original beach far more appealing.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
For years now , the original beach has been ' disappearing ' during the monsoon season , sometimes pre & post too .
The main beach now , as I posted somewhere , wasn ' t even around in the initial years .

I too prefer the original beach which I feel is more private , the other or main is now ' too exposed ' . What with Naoki right behind plus the neighbour ' s , The Surin , extension ..

Perhaps since the pavilions are closer to the original , guests staying there may be guided there as it is easier to get down to .
Those from the villas are invariably buggied down , & will be dropped by Naoki .

Just pleased to have an option these days .
Puri team & beach boys work hard each year to make the beach areas lovely . The monsoons & tides wreak havoc annually .
If you are there often enough , you can see the changes .

Trisara does not even have a nice beach , let alone sand . But they do have their lovely beach pool .
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:31 am
Suspended

A few notes in response to the above comments...

1) I do not mean to make a gender argument, as I'm about the most gender neutral, left-leaning, liberal kind of guy there is (so please refrain from 'that's not PC' commentary), but the bad service seemed to be entirely a problem I had with female employees. Not only did the wife confirm this, but so did two other couples we were with during our stay. Furthermore, all service issues came from restaurants/eating scenarios. Pool, housekeeping, beach, turndown, lobby, and boat/guides were all incredible. Food & bev was the reverse.

2) The beach crew was FANTASTIC....came down to our umbrellas maybe 2x an hour to rearrange to get the max sun blockage...tons of ice and water and menus and food..fruit on skewers. Best beach team I've ever had, anywhere.

3) I'd agree w/ Londonjetsetter that the original, smaller beach is the more appealing one.

4) Every guest, including myself, was getting stung by something in the water. This was VERY uncomfortable, and made getting in the water somewhat of a "should we?" scenario. Aman denied it existed, despite 3x people needing on-site medical attention....but guests came up with the following options for what it was: coral, or broken off pieces of jellyfish.

5) I find the interior courtyard pool to be an architectural stunner...just gorgeous. But I didn't see one person get in that pool over the course of 4 days. Not 1! Find that a tad odd.

And lastly, regarding the Siam, I'd agree that the villas are a bit disjointed. I prefer Mae Nam Suites and River View Suites....plus I love being in the central house.

Can't stress this enough: Puri was fantastic and I'm being picky because Aman is Aman. And, the Siam set our expectations SO high that almost anything would have been a let down.

Interesting note: many of the Puri visitors were repeat customers...it was VERY common to run into people who had been there 3, 4, and even more times. The place was awesome but there is so much to see in the world it's a tad surprising. What's more surprising is these visitors would admit "Puri isn't our favorite Aman, but..."
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Thanks pricesquire , your interesting note is about right
It like going back to home base & for some , it is their 3 rd / 4 th home anyway .

1 . Spot on . Have highlighted to them , doesn't seem to have been addressed & this was 4 months ago .
2 . Yes , lead by pioneer staff .
3 . Glad you visited this time of the year so the special beach is there
4 . This is likely baby jellyfish. Had a terrible time once , swimming to the pontoon . It seemed closer to swim there then return . Waved to be rescued as definitely wasn't swimming back .
So one of the beach boys came by the ' rescue ' boat .
Since then , I always checked with the beach boys / lifeguards on water conditions .
5 . I swim in that pool no matter where I stay at Puri , lovely to see the horizon from in the pool . There ' re usually swimmers before tea

Last edited by FlyerEC; Apr 12, 2015 at 7:48 am
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:59 pm

Who replaces Sandra W as HM at Puri now that she moved to Kila? She was a great host for most guests, while Frederic was very present, but mostly for 'special' guests.
I, too, love Amanpuri and staff is GREAT with very few exceptions (standing out poorly). However, I feel that a private pool at Amanpuri is crucial. I'm a pool person and love to lounge around the pool in the shade and the main pool at Amanpuri makes this impossible as they refuse to offer sunshades there. The beach club pool was an afterthought, unfortunately it feels like one, too... So a villa with pool or higher end pavilion seems the way to go?
F&B is the strongest I experienced in a resort anywhere, ever. Not a single bad meal there.

Last edited by scented; Apr 12, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scented
Who replaces Sandra W as HM at Puri now that she moved to Kila? She was a great host for most guests, while Frederic was very present, but mostly for 'special' guests.
I, too, love Amanpuri and staff is GREAT with very few exceptions (standing out poorly). However, I feel that a private pool at Amanpuri is crucial. I'm a pool person and love to lounge around the pool in the shade and the main pool at Amanpuri makes this impossible as they refuse to offer sunshades there. The beach club pool was an afterthought, unfortunately it feels like one, too... So a villa with pool or higher end pavilion seems the way to go?
F&B is the strongest I experienced in a resort anywhere, ever. Not a single bad meal there.
Sandra hasn't moved yet, and I actually think she has a few months (or more) left on the job. Not sure if anyone has been named yet.

She WAS amazing, walking around constantly and helping any and all people, regardless of $$ of booking or size of group.

Fred is a shmoozer...and yea, he basically gives attention to those he deems VIPs. Pretty sure I wouldn't have met him if not for my boss emailing him a few hours prior to alert him of my arrival.

Nothing against Fred, but it's obvious he is there as much for a social function as anything else.

What I find interesting is the poor guy lives on property. Talk about no separation between work and play!

Agree w/ your statements re: the afterthought of the second pool. And: So a villa with pool or higher end pavilion seems the way to go? Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.