Wiki Posts
Search

Best beach getaway from South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Best beach getaway from South Africa

I'll be in South Africa in early June, and want to go somewhere for a relaxing getaway after. We like
good food
swimmable, warm water beach
good service
snorkelling (though we're still beginners and get excited by run of the mill fish)
not a mega resort

Basically we want to relax, swim, eat good meals, and get away from it all.

Main contenders right now are
One & Only Maldives
Four Seasons LG

Is there somewhere else we should be looking at? Any opinions?

I liked Musken and Ericka's reviews of the Maldives and Mauritius.

For context, our favorite US resort is Post Ranch Inn, and favorite worldwide is Amanpulo. We've been to Tahiti and thought it was beautiful but the food so-so. We loved the Aman Balis.

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:55 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Logistically, I think you would not be able to take a nonstop from JNB (which is where I assume you will be coming from) to the Maldives. I think you would have to connect somewhere like Dubai or Sri Lanka in order to get there.

Plus, it is rainy season in the Maldives in June, so possibly not the best time to be there (although, having said that, I have been there a couple of times at that time of year and the weather was fine).

I honestly think you are better going to Mauritius or Seychelles, both of which are nonstop flights from JNB and both of which have better weather at that time.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

while SA does MRU, arent QR/EK the only reliable options for SEZ?

maldives has value, incl private islands (only private islands in seychelles are fregate and north)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 9, 2010 at 5:16 pm
Old Dec 9, 2010, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I'll actually be in Durban, so a connection in Dubai is fine. I really just want "the best" place in the Indian Ocean.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
We loved Mauritius. For us it was a great blend of beach (all water sports including waterskiing are part of the offering at most hotels) + some sightseeing (botanical gardens, coffee plantations) + very good food at many upscale hotels. Plus it's easily accessible from South Africa. Because it is a volcanic island, the reef surrounding Mauritius makes it fun for snorkeling. Depending on where you are, the reef can be as far as a mile or more out giving the lagoon in front of the hotel beach a nice, sheltered area for water sports). There is also golf, deep sea fishing, etc. I think it is a bit more varied then the Maldives.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Somewhere in Mocambique, maybe? Benguerra Lodge?

Much as I love the Maldives it sounds like a complicated add-on for a trip to SA. (Flight connections are not the best.)
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:56 am

If you are looking for deserted beaches, and proximity to South Africa, I think that you should definitely look into Mozambique, and I think the Seychelles would interest you as well. The Maldives on the other hand is not close at all and probably not nearly as interesting from a cultural point of view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.