Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
We have just done a week at The Club at Capella which worked well. I won't do a full review but feel free to contact me with any queries.

Main reason for doing so was value - we took our nanny and the cost of a suite plus 2nd room in the hotel was far, far higher than a 3-bed apartment.

The only oddity is that they treat holiday guests in the same way as long term residents. This means:

No toiletries replaced (in reality no issue as 3 bathrooms x 2 sets in each = enough for a week, Aesop too)

No free continental weekend breakfast in lounge so need to use the hotel

Substantial deposit required against damage to any furnishings

Full payment in advance with no exceptions and restricted cancellation

No access to The Library (a pseudo club lounge in the hotel)

And, oddly, a positive - you get 15 per off all F&B in the hotel which hotel residents don't get

If I were them, I would forget all the above for anyone staying 14 days or less.
Old May 31, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by Raffles
We have just done a week at The Club at Capella which worked well. I won't do a full review but feel free to contact me with any queries.

Main reason for doing so was value - we took our nanny and the cost of a suite plus 2nd room in the hotel was far, far higher than a 3-bed apartment.

The only oddity is that they treat holiday guests in the same way as long term residents. This means:

No toiletries replaced (in reality no issue as 3 bathrooms x 2 sets in each = enough for a week, Aesop too)

No free continental weekend breakfast in lounge so need to use the hotel

Substantial deposit required against damage to any furnishings

Full payment in advance with no exceptions and restricted cancellation

No access to The Library (a pseudo club lounge in the hotel)

And, oddly, a positive - you get 15 per off all F&B in the hotel which hotel residents don't get

If I were them, I would forget all the above for anyone staying 14 days or less.
Thank you for this mini report. My experience at the Club at Capella last year was different in a number of ways. We felt it was no different to being a hotel guest (but wi access to an additional pool). We stayed about 7 nights; we used the Library every day (and were invited to do so; toiletries were replaced daily; I paid the rate in the ordinary way. I found it an ideal arrangement travelling with our two children - especially the full Miele equipped laundry.
Old May 31, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Add me to the 'I wouldn't even blink here'. I've was at FS Bos when some bigwig from Indonesia was in residence and took two floors. I was at the China World Hotel in Beijing when Bush I was there. The only real inconvenience was that at FS Bos, they had reprogrammed the elevators so that only one was working for hotel guests.

I suspect there are always 'important people' at SL Singapore. I wouldn't worry about it.
I'm at the MO Singapore. Some drama in the last few hours at the Shangri La:

Singaporean man shot dead by police, 2 others detained in incident near Shangri-La Hotel

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Jun 1, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The other odd thing about Capella is that we had been there 5 days before I found the 3rd hotel pool!

Because of the vegetation it is actually invisible from the main deck where the restaurant is and only one twisty path leads to it. I only saw it because I ended up standing on the edge of the second pool for some reason. I'm sure plenty of guests never see it even though it is only about 100 feet away (albeit also 100 feet downhill) from the 2nd lower pool.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:08 am

Not sure if mentions in this thread yet but Capella is opening a new luxury city hotel in Singapore called Patina
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Not sure if mentions in this thread yet but Capella is opening a new luxury city hotel in Singapore called Patina
patina is new brand by owner of 4 singapore hotels - RC, capella, conrad, regent (regent managed by FS)
http://www.pontiacland.com/hospitality
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I'll be staying at Patina next March. Very interested in seeing how it turns out.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:45 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Patina, Capitol Singapore Opens in 2015

Of all the year’s exciting hotel openings, The Patina, Capitol Singapore is high on our list. This self-described “six-star hotel” is housed in two historic-listed buildings (the Capitol Building and Stamford House). As reported by CNN, the hotel is the “brainchild of Singapore's Kwee family -- who also own the city's Capella, Conrad, Regent and Ritz-Carlton hotels.”
http://www.luxurytraveladvisor.com/s...ens-2015-14959

the hotel's official website:
http://patinahotels.com/singapore
http://patinahotels.com/singapore/accommodation
http://patinahotels.com/singapore/dining
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by wripro
I'll be staying at Patina next March. Very interested in seeing how it turns out.
Likewise! I'm hoping to stay in November if the reviews are good and it opens on time.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Likewise! I'm hoping to stay in November if the reviews are good and it opens on time.
The Patina looks great at first glance, anyone have updates on the opening date? Website just says Q3 2015
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
The Patina looks great at first glance, anyone have updates on the opening date? Website just says Q3 2015
Soft opening mid to end of September 2015
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: UA 1.5MM 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I'm at the MO Singapore. Some drama in the last few hours at the Shangri La:

Singaporean man shot dead by police, 2 others detained in incident near Shangri-La Hotel
We left the Valley Wing on Friday night while the IISS was getting into full swing. I was so impressed with the well established processes the hotel had in place for so many foreign dignitaries. We were never inconvenienced during our three night stay even with the fact that our room was adjacent to the senior Chinese military delegate who arrived Thursday. Also never felt uncomfortable with the massive security presence in place by Thursday night. These two chaps picked the wrong baracade to run.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:09 am
formerly gohima

any idea why The Patina doesnt seem to have an availability online for any date late this year and/or next year?

Trying to find rates..
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by stimpy
An MO Club suite is easily my favorite lux hotel experience in Singapore
Any advice on whether the Club access is 'worth it?' Planning on booking my wife and myself into the MO for a long weekend, just not sure which room.

(Prices including 10% / 7%):
- Deluxe Room s$365 (with breakfast; +s$210 for club access)
- Marina Bay View Room s$485 (with breakfast; +s$210 for club access)
- Ocean Grand room s$650 (club access inclusive)
- City Suite s$650 (club access inclusive)

I think it's clear that if I want club access, either the ocean grand (better views, has a small balcony) or city suite (no balcony but bigger room) options are better ... but if the club isn't all that great maybe I should just go for the base room and use the money on fancy dinners?

Last edited by shuigao; Jul 8, 2015 at 12:05 am
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I would always suggest to splurge with your wife present.

I've never had to pay for the Club as I always get upgraded to it via FHR. I think it is certainly worth the price if you use it for breakfast and dinner and happen to like Champagne or high end spirits. The food quality is excellent. The club has great views so for your room you might want to choose the city suite for the extra space. I haven't been in every suite, but the ones I have been in you can also overlook the sea as well as the city. And from where the hotel sits, the city view is kind of spectacular at night.

And it's much nicer to do check in and check out in the club, seated with a glass of something nice in your hand.

Last edited by stimpy; Jul 8, 2015 at 4:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.