Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
Booked at the MO SIN for two days before my meetings. Wondering if the extra per night 120S$ is worth paying for club access. Any thoughts are appreciated. I would have several drinks each day.
YES,
they had foie gras one evening.
Service is very good (I was in a rush one morning and my order arrived in no time, believe I ordered an omelette)
They even made a sandwich to my liking, they're my second Mom
I drink very little and I found that it's definitely worth it ....so several drinks a day this is a no brainer
Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: FT
Many thanks for the views.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm not fussed by using the hotel's "club" as a Suite gives me the room and facilities I like. I like to be able to lounge in my robe after a day out. The St Regis bought the free drinks to your room or we used the fridge and drank decent stuff.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Going to Singapore shortly and I still can't decide on the hotel. I've stayed at the FS before and agree that it's nothing special. My choice will be one of the following three properties (and my initial take on each of them):

-St Regis: I like the Classic style of the rooms but the pool area and the views are weak
-Ritz Carlton Millenia: Club Level looks great, but the hotel feels a bit sterile
-Mandarin Oriental: Best pool area I guess, but the rooms are on the small side

I've read most of this thread and I'm still a bit undecided.
Any argument for or against one of the above three hotels is very welcome.

Last edited by JohnRain; Nov 5, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:39 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a reminder that posts on Flyertalk have to stand on their own and contain sufficient information to be useful without following any links. I have just deleted a post which was simply a link to the author's blog. The individual concerned is welcome to repost with more information.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Going to Singapore shortly and I still can't decide on the hotel. I've stayed at the FS before and agree that it's nothing special. My choice will be one of the following three properties (and my initial take on each of them):

-St Regis: I like the Classic style of the rooms but the pool area and the views are weak
-Ritz Carlton Millenia: Club Level looks great, but the hotel feels a bit sterile
-Mandarin Oriental: Best pool area I guess, but the rooms are on the small side

I've read most of this thread and I'm still a bit undecided.
Any argument for or against one of the above three hotels is very welcome.
Although I found the service somewhat spotty at the RC the views are very good from the corner suite bathrooms.

If you are OK staying in the neighborhood of the St. Regis I really suggest the Valley Wing at the very nearby Shangri-La- I still think the Valley Wing is the best choice in SIN.

I have not stayed at the MO- I did visit there for a meeting and I thought it looked very dated.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Although I found the service somewhat spotty at the RC the views are very good from the corner suite bathrooms.

If you are OK staying in the neighborhood of the St. Regis I really suggest the Valley Wing at the very nearby Shangri-La- I still think the Valley Wing is the best choice in SIN.

I have not stayed at the MO- I did visit there for a meeting and I thought it looked very dated.
\

Completely agree with the Valley Wing. I've never stayed at the St. Regis but have stayed in harbor club rooms at RC and MO as well as Valley Wing. MO does have the best pool hands down. It also has the best breakfast and dinner in the club. But the sheer size of the Valley Wing, coupled with the "butlers" as they are referred doting over you constantly as well as the free flow Tattinger, the Valley Wing is the best. Also the rooms at the Valley Wing are better in every possible way, except the view, than the MO and RC.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG

Don't know the san regis.

I agree that the service is better at the Mandarin than RC.
The views from a regular bathroom at the RC are already nice.
RC spa is a joke.
Mandarin SPA is much better.

IIRC junior suite price at MOwas not that much more expensive than a lead in room and size is about the same than a lead in room at the RC (not sure of the actual SQFT but it feels that way).
Their first level suite at RC are kind of small, feel almost like a regular room cut in two.
If you smoke they have 2 smoking floor at the RC, one of the lowest and one of the highest. Don't believe they have a lot of Balconies room if any.
At MOit's easy to have a balcony room if that's important to you

RC if you have a restaurant only breakfast included in their room, and leave before the restaurant open, they don't charge you for in room dining (they may bring you a handwritten bill with your tray as the printer doesn't work at 5 am )
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:29 am

Thanks for your replies guys. I've decided to go against the mini-consensus in the most recent posts of this thread and will stay at the MO in a Bay View Suite, as the view is important to me. The Shangri-La isn't part of Amex FHR, which is a dealbreaker. I've read a few trip reports on FT and elsewhere and the consensus was that the MO, while not the newest hotel around, is still very good. Feedback about the Shangri-La was rather mixed (except for the Valley Wing).
Hopefully the property isn't too dated, as TRAVELSIG seemed to suggest.

Will report back after my stay.

Last edited by JohnRain; Nov 21, 2014 at 12:41 am
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:54 am

Thanks for your replies guys. I've decided to go against the mini-consensus in the most recent posts of this thread and will stay at the MO in a Bay View Suite, as the view is important to me. The Shangri-La isn't part of Amex FHR, which is a dealbreaker. I've read a few trip reports on FT and elsewhere and the consensus was that the MO, while not the newest hotel around, is still very good. Feedback about the Shangri-La was rather mixed (except for the Valley Wing).

Why not book S-L through Virtuoso TA? This works just as well, if not better than FHR.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Why not book S-L through Virtuoso TA? This works just as well, if not better than FHR.
I always book through Amex (Switzerland) and they don't offer Virtuoso, just FHR. Not a big deal though, as Shangri-La isn't one of my favourite hotel chains anyway.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:40 am

You'll have a great stay, enjoy !
Don't eat too much at Breakfast
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
You'll have a great stay, enjoy !
Don't eat too much at Breakfast
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it.
I always eat too much at breakfast, that's part of the fun...
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:08 pm

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it.
I always eat too much at breakfast, that's part of the fun...
You'll be spoiled there, they have a lot of lunch / dinner food available, hard to believe it's just a breakfast.
Hotel airport transfer is nice as you have in room check in.
Maybe for suite for booking you have in room check in regardless ?

Their club lounge is a delight.
You may have a 6 pm and maybe a 8 pm late check out.
The large four poster covered bed at the pool are on first come basis and they're very nice.
IIRC they do come from time to time to offer some mini ice cream/smoothies.
If you like light pressure massage do not take their signature massage
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:03 am

Thanks for your replies guys. I've decided to go against the mini-consensus in the most recent posts of this thread and will stay at the MO in a Bay View Suite, as the view is important to me.
As others said you will have a great time. Since view and pool are your top priorities, this is definitely the best choice. I wrote harbor view before, that's HKG, sorry, I meant bay view. Your suite will have a breathtaking view of the Singapore Flyer and the bay beyond it depending on how high of a floor you are on.

Not sure if you are taking a club suite but would highly recommend it. Breakfast is probably the best club breakfast anywhere, and I'm a club breakfast junkie . They have almost everything the downstairs buffet has, plus a free a-la-carte menu and you can ask for anything special. Plus the free champagne and mouth watering food at dinner, well worth the extra cost. Plus you'll be high up on the club floor with the great private concierge desk that provides much better service than downstairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.