Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:46 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by stimpy
Well the PHT has been, for at least a couple of decades now, one of the best business hotels in the world. In the 90's and early 2000's it was always ranked number 1 worldwide. That's a pretty high bar to reach for a Singapore hotel.
Agreed! It was the only decades old lux hotel that popped in mind at 5:30am for me. I should have said "much" less elegant
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I was just in Singapore the first week of June'16. I was at the Pan Pacific, looking down on BENLEE, who was next door at the MO. I wandered over to the Capitol Piazza to see if I could get any additional information on the Patina Capitol.

The mall is open, but as widely reported there isn't anybody in it. The mall is populated with high end luxury shops that I don't even like walking by let alone perusing. The hotel is buzzing with activity, all construction. I did not have the gumption to jump the barriers to get a better look. I did talk to a security guard, who said that the hotel will be opening in 1 month or so.

I'm not very optimistic. The building is on a busy, noisy street and there won't be any views from the rooms. Singapore has several 5* hotels with good hard product and wretched soft product, with Fullerton Bay just one example. Patina is going to have to excel on the soft product to even make the cut.
I notice the opening date for this is now listed as pushed back to Q2 2017, which takes us to just under two years after the originally announced opening date.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I notice the opening date for this is now listed as pushed back to Q2 2017, which takes us to just under two years after the originally announced opening date.
Visiting S'pore in a few weeks. Prior stays at FS (just OK, and location suboptimal) and Shangri-La Valley Wing (very nice, but also a shlep to get off the grounds).

This time RC. Booked Club Premier Suite. Was upgraded at booking (Virtuoso) to Millenia Suite. Not all that interested in swimming pool or even on site F&B as I tend to wander off to the hawker centres for most of my meals. So much amazing casual food. Can almost taste the rojak at Old Airport Rd.

I'm almost always most interested in spaciousness of room, comfort of bed, quality of plumbing and amenities, in-room tech features, size/cleanliness/comfort of spa, warmth and responsiveness of staff. My threshold test is how easy it is to get my hands on a cold can of club soda/seltzer water. I'll let you know how this one went.

It's a shame the new place still hasn't managed to get its doors open.

--mcz
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:55 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Visiting S'pore in a few weeks. Prior stays at FS (just OK, and location suboptimal) and Shangri-La Valley Wing (very nice, but also a shlep to get off the grounds).

This time RC. Booked Club Premier Suite. Was upgraded at booking (Virtuoso) to Millenia Suite. Not all that interested in swimming pool or even on site F&B as I tend to wander off to the hawker centres for most of my meals. So much amazing casual food. Can almost taste the rojak at Old Airport Rd.

I'm almost always most interested in spaciousness of room, comfort of bed, quality of plumbing and amenities, in-room tech features, size/cleanliness/comfort of spa, warmth and responsiveness of staff. My threshold test is how easy it is to get my hands on a cold can of club soda/seltzer water. I'll let you know how this one went.

It's a shame the new place still hasn't managed to get its doors open.

--mcz
Currently in SIN at the Fullerton Bay in a Premier Bay View with an outdoor Jacuzzi. Will be relocating to the Ritz C tomorrow in a Deluxe Suite. The pool just opened on Dec 19 after renovation so I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

Love SIN but the hotel market could use a facelift.

Enjoy!

Last edited by BESVISOR; Dec 27, 2016 at 2:36 am
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Love almost everything about SIN but the hotel market is just so depressing here.

Enjoy!
I thoroughly enjoyed my week at the St Regis in the Caroline Astor Suite. Would happily stay there again.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:45 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I thoroughly enjoyed my week at the St Regis in the Caroline Astor Suite. Would happily stay there again.
Glad to hear you've had a great experience there!!!

However, not everyone books suites and even so, that's just one hotel.
Not necessarily an accurate reflection of the entire market.
Also, how would that suite compare to a signature suite at the Peninsula HK or FS Paris GV or Aman Suite Tokyo? (include service quality as well).

SIN is a world class city but the hotels here certainly cannot compete with the likes of Hong Kong or Tokyo. It's worth mentioning that the rates in SIN are certainly less than HK and Tokyo.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I think Fullerton Bay is far and away the best hotel in that city.
Agreed. I was also saying the same years ago. Great Modern Rooms (Bay View), Fantastic Views, Service, and location.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Glad to hear you've had a great experience there!!!

However, not everyone books suites and even so, that's just one hotel.
Not necessarily an accurate reflection of the entire market.
Also, how would that suite compare to a signature suite at the Peninsula HK or FS Paris GV or Aman Suite Tokyo? (include service quality as well).

SIN is a world class city but the hotels here certainly cannot compete with the likes of Hong Kong or Tokyo. It's worth mentioning that the rates in SIN are certainly less than HK and Tokyo.
The question I answered to was about hotels in Singapore when the poster said Singapore Hotels were dismal. It wasn't about how SIN compares to other hotels in other countries.

I've liked many hotels in Singapore.

No the living area of the St Regis would not compare to a suite at the Peninsula HK although the bathroom and bedroom would. I didn't stay in a Signature Suite at the St Regis so cannot compare to the Peninsula HK although I am sure a Pen's Signature Suite would trump a St Regis Singapore Suite.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:51 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
The question I answered to was about hotels in Singapore when the poster said Singapore Hotels were dismal. It wasn't about how SIN compares to other hotels in other countries.

I've liked many hotels in Singapore.

No the living area of the St Regis would not compare to a suite at the Peninsula HK although the bathroom and bedroom would. I didn't stay in a Signature Suite at the St Regis so cannot compare to the Peninsula HK although I am sure a Pen's Signature Suite would trump a St Regis Singapore Suite.

Sure, I understand where you're coming from.

But my initial comment about the hotels in SIN is of course based on benchmarking it against other hotels in other cities as it's relative.

If HK, Paris, and Tokyo (along with other countries) only had Hilton Double Trees, then SIN would have the best hotels in the world.

But either way, completely respect your perspective and am glad you enjoy the hotels in SIN.

Currently at the RC SIN and the views are fantastic. Views from MO, next door is great as well.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:26 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Just booked an Oriental Club room at the MO for my March trip. Very frustrating choosing a hotel!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:03 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I've been visiting Singapore for 12 years, almost always on holiday. I too have been disappointed with the luxury hotel scene. FS pretty good rooms but not ideal location. RC rooms big, and great view if on one side of the building, but not ideal location for other reasons (maybe better now that Circle Line and Downtown Line station at Promenade has opened). Saw the rooms at MO and didn't like them, and hated the building; never stayed there. Fullerton Hotel rooms all contorted and strange due to restrictions on design during conversion to a hotel. Soft product at all of these was just so-so. Yes, rates are cheaper than top hotels in HK and Tokyo, but not cheaper than Bangkok yet definitely inferior.

A couple of years ago, I tried the InterContinental because I had gotten an IHG credit card from Chase. Now, before I get horribly flamed, I will acknowledge that IC is generally a step down from RC, MO, FS, etc. Whether IC S'pore qualifies as "luxury" is debatable, but probably it doesn't quite. That said, the rooms are decent and got a lot better after a refurb in 2015. The soft product is fairly good, with some real standouts, especially in the Club facilities. The location is quite good, for my purposes at least. And the rates are considerably better than RC, FS, and MO, at least the last time I compared. So, on balance, it has become my regular place in Singapore and I have given up on the so-called luxury hotels that consistently disappointed me, especially on soft product.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I've been visiting Singapore for 12 years, almost always on holiday. I too have been disappointed with the luxury hotel scene. FS pretty good rooms but not ideal location. RC rooms big, and great view if on one side of the building, but not ideal location for other reasons (maybe better now that Circle Line and Downtown Line station at Promenade has opened). Saw the rooms at MO and didn't like them, and hated the building; never stayed there. Fullerton Hotel rooms all contorted and strange due to restrictions on design during conversion to a hotel. Soft product at all of these was just so-so. Yes, rates are cheaper than top hotels in HK and Tokyo, but not cheaper than Bangkok yet definitely inferior.

A couple of years ago, I tried the InterContinental because I had gotten an IHG credit card from Chase. Now, before I get horribly flamed, I will acknowledge that IC is generally a step down from RC, MO, FS, etc. Whether IC S'pore qualifies as "luxury" is debatable, but probably it doesn't quite. That said, the rooms are decent and got a lot better after a refurb in 2015. The soft product is fairly good, with some real standouts, especially in the Club facilities. The location is quite good, for my purposes at least. And the rates are considerably better than RC, FS, and MO, at least the last time I compared. So, on balance, it has become my regular place in Singapore and I have given up on the so-called luxury hotels that consistently disappointed me, especially on soft product.
I completely agree with the Intercontinental Singapore. I've been staying there often for 20 years now and it is a consistently good hotel. Plus I love the lively and interesting neighborhood which none of the luxury brands have. The thing is that the IC brand doesn't try to be like FS or MO or Pen. It is a high end business class chain and the Singapore offering does not disappoint. Many of the Club staff have been there for years, which is a valuable thing in Singapore. Perhaps it helps that the IC sits above a key metro hub and staff can easily reach the hotel. That isn't the case for the FS, MO or RC, etc.

That said, I think if you tried a Club Suite at the MO, you'd like it despite what you think about the lobby. The spa and pool are excellent too.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:40 am

Programs: No program whatsoever

I am genuinely interested in knowing what went wrong with soft product at FS?
I ask because I had very low expectations checking into the hotel, but was actually very impressed by service.

I was often greeted by name in corridors by cleaning staff (how did they know my name?), by restaurant staff and by lobby. Service was warm, proactive without being overbearing. In general, I had the impression that staff was genuinely interested in my happiness (which is, in my opinion, the true mark of good service).
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:40 am

A couple of years ago, I tried the InterContinental because I had gotten an IHG credit card from Chase. Now, before I get horribly flamed...
We've got your tar and feathers right here.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:43 pm

We are in the process of deciding between a city suite at the MO or a suite at the IC. It seems ridiculous, but the location of the IC may win! We have stayed at the MO before in a suite and enjoyed it and their pool is lovely. Club access doesn't matter to us as we are too busy out and eating all the yummy local food on offer. So it boils down to location v pool. (and as we travel with children, the pool may win...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.