Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Patina Capitol?

Originally Posted by wripro
The keep postponing the opening. Now they're saying first quarter 2016 but who knows. I had a reservation there for the last week in March but have made backup plans just in case. I'm not optimistic.
They took a March reservation? My TA shows no availability whatsoever for June and the reservation web page is frozen.

I struggle with hotels in Singapore. I'm curious. What is your backup?

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Jan 25, 2016 at 2:49 pm
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
They took a March reservation? My TA shows no availability whatsoever for June and the reservation web page is frozen.

I struggle with hotels in Singapore. I'm curious. What is you backup?
I got the reservation through a friend of the sales manager. I'm staying at the Ritz Carlton instead on the Club floor.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:30 pm

Stayed here last Feb

Love this place and will return next year when in town. Nice quiet pool, location view was great and walking to a lot of places. They arranged a day trip to the zoo for us. Rooms are outstanding and breakfast buffet superb.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
We are just back from the Shangri La Valley Wing. We usually book into to the Horizon Club when staying at the S-L but thought we would try the Valley Wing since everyone talks about it. Shangri La is one of our favourite chains and it didn't disappoint this time. We had a relaxed and civilised check in with champagne and the room was large - the bathroom was nearly as big again and there was a dressing area between the two - much appreciated by myself. Drinks in the mini bar were complimentary - I've never come across that before.

The garden was so lovely that we had breakfast outside there every day, rather than in the Valley Wing. The breakfast buffet in the main restaurant was vast - really terrific. Perriet Jouet was available from 11 am all day in the Valley Wing lobby, but the evening cocktail arrangement wasn't as good as other hotels we have been to however. There was a selection of cheese and biscuits and in addition, we were each served with a plate of 4 canapés. These varied from day to day and seconds were available. We don't like seafood so quite often didn't get much choice. I don't really think this is an adequate arrangement, given the evening buffet usually available in the Shangri La Horizon Clubs (and other hotels) we have been to. It wasn't a big deal, just a bit disappointing.

We would certainly return to the Shangri La in Singapore but not to the Valley Wing - too stiff and formal for us leisure travellers and we found the lobby lounge arrangement not as pleasant or relaxing as the normal Horizon Club set up on the upper floors which we are used to. We liked the look of the Garden Wing with its balconies, so will probably try that next time.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:16 am

any updates on the Patina in SG? my travel agent mentioned it today, but I can find no way of booking it myself...
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by scottandtracy
any updates on the Patina in SG? my travel agent mentioned it today, but I can find no way of booking it myself...
I've been following this for months. And I have given up and booked elsewhere. This ran yesterday in Forbes: Singapore Property Billionaires Fall Out Over Iconic Project

Not looking good ...
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:21 pm

virtuoso also notes a 3rd quarter opening. thanks for the Forbes article ... i think its fair to say that any quote on an opening date is just a guess ...
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by shuigao
So I spent the 24th-26th Christmas weekend at the Mandarin Oriental. This is my first SG 'luxury' hotel stay so I have no frame of reference to the other SG hotels. Full write-up is on my blog for anyone interested, otherwise summary thoughts & photos below:

The room comes with Duffy??
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
The room comes with Duffy??
No they are guests can't you tell?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat. IHG Plat, SL Jade
One night in Singapore

Just looking for people's opinion/advice.

From what I picked up in this thread, the general consensus is: Pick the best of the worst, i.e. Singapore's luxury hotel scene isn't all that great compared to other cities with the same hotel brands.

I am flying from MEL and will be stopping over in SIN for 1 day before a flight to LHR for our honeymoon in Europe. We land at 6am in SIN and depart 9am the next day. So I need to look for accommodation for the one night in Singapore.

We are planning doing the Gardens by the bay, hawker food, shopping, more food, night safari and some chilling by the hotel pool in between.

I was thinking of booking RC or FBH, based on review in this thread, but then thought to myself as I won't be in the hotel much I should just save the money and book something cheaper like the Conrad/IC or So Sofitel (Accor have sales up to 50% off ending today). I don't care so much about having breakfast included as I can get it in the private room. Club lounge isn't a must, but if I book Conrad I can get access to it with HHDiamond. I can book through FHR, so I should be able to get some sort of F&B credit for the stay.

How are the pools at these hotels? and how are the rooms? Conrad + RC looks like they still have quite outdated rooms.

If I were to book RC/FBH, I would probably go for a Marina Bay view room. However, Should I just save money and book a cheaper hotel? If so, which would be the better option between the cheaper hotels I've listed?

Any advice or other options offered would also be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:09 am

Have you considered MO? I think the prices for that are a notch lower than RC/FBH and you can get the brekky through FHR.

If you are limiting yourself to the options you've selected, I'd then go the Conrad, only because of the club.

I'm assuming you are AU based (hence you'd at least have Shangri-La jade through Amex) so another option I used before was actually getting the most basic room at the Shangri-La @ advance purchase rates. This was lower than $200 and the golden circle benefits still gave me breakfast plus few welcome drinks & snacks.

Pretty good value for a very short stay imo.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by ninjatim
Just looking for people's opinion/advice.

From what I picked up in this thread, the general consensus is: Pick the best of the worst, i.e. Singapore's luxury hotel scene isn't all that great compared to other cities with the same hotel brands.

I am flying from MEL and will be stopping over in SIN for 1 day before a flight to LHR for our honeymoon in Europe. We land at 6am in SIN and depart 9am the next day. So I need to look for accommodation for the one night in Singapore.

We are planning doing the Gardens by the bay, hawker food, shopping, more food, night safari and some chilling by the hotel pool in between.

I was thinking of booking RC or FBH, based on review in this thread, but then thought to myself as I won't be in the hotel much I should just save the money and book something cheaper like the Conrad/IC or So Sofitel (Accor have sales up to 50% off ending today). I don't care so much about having breakfast included as I can get it in the private room. Club lounge isn't a must, but if I book Conrad I can get access to it with HHDiamond. I can book through FHR, so I should be able to get some sort of F&B credit for the stay.

How are the pools at these hotels? and how are the rooms? Conrad + RC looks like they still have quite outdated rooms.

If I were to book RC/FBH, I would probably go for a Marina Bay view room. However, Should I just save money and book a cheaper hotel? If so, which would be the better option between the cheaper hotels I've listed?

Any advice or other options offered would also be greatly appreciated.
- Scrap Bay Gardens and go to the Botanical Gardens instead.

- For that short of a stay, I'd do the cheaper options. The 5* hotel scene in SG is 'in distress'. I'm desperately waiting for the Patina to open.

- With any hotel you choose, make sure to negotiate check-in/out times beforehand.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ask raffles management if they have standard offerings for flexible checkin/checkout
Old May 4, 2016, 1:16 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat. IHG Plat, SL Jade
Originally Posted by mitwg
Have you considered MO? I think the prices for that are a notch lower than RC/FBH and you can get the brekky through FHR.

If you are limiting yourself to the options you've selected, I'd then go the Conrad, only because of the club.

I'm assuming you are AU based (hence you'd at least have Shangri-La jade through Amex) so another option I used before was actually getting the most basic room at the Shangri-La @ advance purchase rates. This was lower than $200 and the golden circle benefits still gave me breakfast plus few welcome drinks & snacks.

Pretty good value for a very short stay imo.
Read on this thread that MO is a bit of a zoo.

Shangri-La is a bit far. As I'm only there for the day, I'm planning on just doing activities in and around Marina Bay.

Yeah I sort of am limiting myself to those options at the moment.Might save some money and just book the conrad.

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
- Scrap Bay Gardens and go to the Botanical Gardens instead.

- For that short of a stay, I'd do the cheaper options. The 5* hotel scene in SG is 'in distress'. I'm desperately waiting for the Patina to open.

- With any hotel you choose, make sure to negotiate check-in/out times beforehand.
Check out time won't be an issue, will only require early check in if possible.
Old May 4, 2016, 3:05 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Originally Posted by ninjatim
Read on this thread that MO is a bit of a zoo.
Can't confirm this enough. I was absolutely not pleased with my stay there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.