Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report: The Elysian, Chicago, now Waldorf=Astoria Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by luxury
If Lake View is of central importance then the Elysian and much of the rooms at the Pen and Trump would not be high on the list.

More contemporary decor AND Lake View, the best options are the FS, RC and PH.

Contemporary decor, Lake View AND decent service, Park Hyatt.

Contemporary decor-ish, Lake View AND GREAT service, the RC.

That would be my choice.
Thanks, luxury.

I have read all your excellent Chicago luxe hotel reviews and from that I will choose between RC and Elysian.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
Elysian is good, no doubt, but nowhere in the vicinity of great. To call The Peninsula a 'Holiday Inn' in comparison is sadly forgetting not only The Pen's history, which is incredible, but immensely handicapping for the rather small feeling, not at all grandiose design of The Elysian. Apples and oranges, I suppose.

My thoughts on Elysian:
The common areas of the hotel all felt cramped. The gym was an afterthought, as was their saline pool. Tiny. Uncomfortable. The men's sauna/steam was well-designed.

I was never greeted by name. Smiles, yes. The suite was large and had some impressive features (fireplace), but it felt cold in design and there was far too much wasted space. I expected better toiletries. Towels/sheets were nice. Would have liked heated bathroom floors, especially for a Chicago property. The Lutron dimming system was at times far too buggy.

Good location if you're going to shop (which I did). I also got to laugh at the obscene line at Sprinkles on a daily basis... Yes, I pointed at them and laughed. Waiting 45 minutes for a cupcake? Bah.

BN
'who thinks the Chicago Trump property should be doused in kerosene and lit on fire'
Old Dec 31, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Just came back from Chicago and decided to stay at the Peninsula over the Elysian. The rooms were spacious and the service was phenomenal. The brunch on Sunday at The Lobby blew me away. I would highly recommend it.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas
The suite was large and had some impressive features (fireplace), but it felt cold in design and there was far too much wasted space.
Yes- I have to agree with you there. There is something chilly in the contemporary design that I think can't be warmed up with a fireplace.

Would have liked heated bathroom floors, especially for a Chicago property.
Yes, that would be delightful for sure.

The Lutron dimming system was at times far too buggy.
We had that experience as well.

Good location if you're going to shop (which I did).
Precisely. I couldn't agree more.

GG
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:41 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Sadly, The Elysian has decided not to keep its Virtuoso membership for 2011.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:32 pm

Sadly, The Elysian has decided not to keep its Virtuoso membership for 2011.
That is unfortunate. I was trying to book it with a Virtuoso agent about 3 weeks ago and he could not get me Virtuoso benefits, so I am going with FS.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:34 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if Mrs. Fields stays at the Elysian. (...2...3...4...)

Yeah, I know, hopelessly off topic. The devil made me do it.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Just looked for rates at the Elysian for January 29th...down to $195/night for pre-paid!

$265 for an executive suite...double

At these prices, I might have to give this place a try!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Jason McLeod, Executive Chef of Ria and Balsan at the Elysian has left the hotel. Things don't seem to be boding well for Elysian lately....

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...#axzz1DhnFVXVH
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
The Elysian is going for $260 a night on Jetsetter right now
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

I had advance notice of this limited sale on Jetsetter:

• Classic King - $240
• Executive Suite - $326
• Classic Gold Coast Suite - $411

For 5 days only until 22 February --these are pretty good rates
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beta1607
The Elysian is going for $260 a night on Jetsetter right now
I had advance notice of this limited sale on Jetsetter:

• Classic King - $240
• Executive Suite - $326
• Classic Gold Coast Suite - $411

For 5 days only until 22 February --these are pretty good rates
direct rates are up?
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Just looked for rates at the Elysian for January 29th...down to $195/night for pre-paid!

$265 for an executive suite
seems like it.

no longer LHW either. just preferred now?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 18, 2011 at 5:56 pm
Old Mar 13, 2011, 6:18 pm

I wonder how the hotel has been doing lately.

Despite the lack of FHR or Virtuoso membership, which I cannot understand in the slightest, the hotel did seem very flexible and open to negotiation with customers who are aware of or participate in those programs. I just booked a Deluxe Suite at the website rate of $780 with a third night free, and they were very proactive about including both breakfast and a late check out, as well as a possible upgrade at check-in, for me. What most impressed me was that I didn't even ask for these things--I simply inquired if they were a member of FHR and the reservation agent said that though they weren't, they were willing to extend me these benefits. Very nice contrast to my dealings with the PEN Chicago, for example.

The only fault I found at the Elysian during my previous stay there was the lack of lake views, which is not something that can be 'fixed.' Otherwise, I adore the service, courtyard area, presence of balconies, the bathrooms, and the very, very good food. For me, it's now just between the Ritz and Elysian in Chicago--which offer two very different, but equally lovely, experiences.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:36 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

any recent experiences at the Elysian?
i currently have a reservation at the Four Seasons Chicago for a Deluxe Exec suite for four nights. Pretty solid rate, with one night free. Booked through a FSPP as well, so nice benefits as well.
It's our anniversary, and my wife values a nice room. The rooms look great at the Elysian, especially the Gold Coast suites with the terrace. The fireplace is nice My total costs would be higher (and I'm already pushing it at the 4S) but I would definitely consider moving to the Elysian. My TA is going to contact the Elysian on Monday to see if they would honor any of the former Virtuosos benefits.

So, 4S vs Elysian. A view isn't a huge priority...

Thoughts?

FDW
Old Sep 25, 2011, 9:24 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I've got the Elysian as my next destination in Chicago. It sounds really good, and a number of personal friends have shared great feedback (as have members on this message board).

I understand that at least some customers have gotten the property to offer Virtuoso-like amenities, even though they're not part of the program at present.

Assuming I could get the amenities, I'd give this a try over the FS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.