Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hamburg Luxury Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2010, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

You'd think so. According to Amex (well, two of four agents in the end) they weren't compatible with the FHR program.

Very strange, but it seems like it worked out alright enough.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thats why there is virtuoso as well.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Not quite sure what the problem with FHR was, but afaik there are no single rooms, depending on occupancy the Vier Jahreszeiten charges a lower rate for the rooms if only one guest is staying in the room.

Btw, what are the FHR amenities? The Virtuoso amenities are excellent: daily full breakfast for two, very nice welcome amenity and a three-course dinner for two
Old Oct 9, 2010, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Not quite sure what the problem with FHR was, but afaik there are no single rooms, depending on occupancy the Vier Jahreszeiten charges a lower rate for the rooms if only one guest is staying in the room.

Btw, what are the FHR amenities? The Virtuoso amenities are excellent: daily full breakfast for two, very nice welcome amenity and a three-course dinner for two
I believe they are the same, though I'm not sure about the welcome amenity. And I agree, the dinner in particular is a nice perk.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

single = 25m2
double = 35-42m2

indeed FHR amenity is dinner as well, not sure how amounts for dinner/breakfast compare

confused re virtuoso, i dont see 3 course on menus? only 6/8 at haerlin.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 9, 2010 at 5:31 pm
Old Oct 9, 2010, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

single = 25m2
double = 35-42m2
AFAIK all rooms can be booked as a single or double room, at least that´s what the hotel staff told me. Anyhow, I´d recommend booking a suite or a room on the Bellevue floor.

confused re virtuoso, i dont see 3 course on menus? only 6/8 at haerlin.
When I stayed at the Vier Jahreszeiten two months ago the Virtuoso amenity included:

- full breakfast: continental buffet + egg dishes, meat, pancakes freshly prepared upon request
- 3 course dinner at the Jahreszeiten Grill: salad (appetizer), fish or traditional schnitzel (main) and "rote gruetze" (berry pudding) as dessert (drinks not included)

Maybe the amenity has changed?
Old Oct 9, 2010, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ah, only 4 euro difference in breakfast prices
http://www.hvj.de/en/speisekarten_en...ueckskarte.php

* how is PH club lately? also dont recall more than a couple reports on PH apartments here?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 10, 2010 at 6:19 am
Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ah, only 4 euro difference in breakfast prices
http://www.hvj.de/en/speisekarten_en...ueckskarte.php
Well, I guess noone in their right mind pays for just the Continental buffet, the full breakfast is still quite expensive, but definitely worth it.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:50 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by deer
Park Hyatt: service and designwise very good, restaurants quite good. Location very central - BUT directly in the very crowded shopping street near train station with ugly office-floor views from most of the rooms.

Vier Jahreszeiten: very old school, but very good restaurants and by far superior location with direct inner city lake views - the best views of a german city hotel by far, the best location in Hamburg.

Luis C Jacob: very hanseatic on Elbe river with very good restaurants - 15+ minutes from the centre of the city.

Le Meridien: also lake views (not so central, so its the outer city lake), but restaurant and service quality mediocre. I would judge it 4,5 stars, not 5+ stars like the three others.

Atlantic Hotel managed by Kempinski: good central lake view position, but sadly totally worn - no renovation for 15+ years due to the bean-counting multi-millionaire owner, who recently died (no joke) in his own Atlantic Hotel by suffocation on his midnight-room-service steak...
Fully agree ^
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I stayed at the Vier Jahreszeiten just a few years ago and greatly enjoyed my visit there.

It was a magnificent location (see my photo below).

Some photos and my review are online here.

Old Oct 12, 2010, 1:39 am

there is only one..

I am from Hamburg.
Believe me, since ever I do not live there anymore, I exclusivley go to Vier Jahreszeiten.
Od school, yes. Hype? No. Fancy design? No. Service? YES.

Its prominent position at the inner harbour (Binnenalster), its service, its views, the spa treatments, the breakfast à la carte.... are worth it. AS I already said, the steak tartar beats lots of restaurants in Paris.

If you stay longer than 2 nights, they will learn your name, do whatever you ask them.

You just can't get it any better. I love Hamburg, just for this!

May I be rude to my home country and my town ?

Otherwise, from an international perspective, Hamburg is a borig city. Museums ? Just two. Opera? Just one. Ok, one point extra for the classic danse company and its coreographer. But otherwise, the inner town is so boring in the evening, it's just offices, no city life at all. I am happy that I do not have to life here. Oh my god how borig Hamburg is..

But the Vier Jahreszeiten is great, indeed. It's like Maledives, you go there just for the hotel

Last edited by bluebird09; Oct 12, 2010 at 1:47 am
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by geilux
Fully agree ^
Also fully agree! ^

I would add that Louis C Jacob's position, although on the river, is also opposite the Air Bus Industries factory, so the view is of huge barges transporting components and lots of flights taking off. Surprisingly, the staff does not appear to see this, but still thinks the views are idyllic.

I have also tried some of the Design Hotels in Hamburg. Be warned, do not follow in my footsteps - they are horrendous.

Vier Jahreszeiten gets my vote, although I do wish they would get someone to clean and restore some of their paintings, as many of them are so black that you cannot see anything.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by bluebird09
Opera? Just one. Ok, one point extra for the classic danse company and its coreographer. But otherwise, the inner town is so boring in the evening, it's just offices, no city life at all. I am happy that I do not have to life here. Oh my god how borig Hamburg is..
Just one, but what a brilliant company the Staatsoper is - since the ascendancy of Simone Young as both Intendatin and General Music Director, the Staatsoper has risen to new heights, capped by the Claus Guth "Ring". And things will get even better when the new Philharmonie opens in 2012.

But the Vier Jahreszeiten is great, indeed. It's like Maledives, you go there just for the hotel
I agree - one does not have to spend a fortune there, the InnerAlster-facing rooms for one person are perfectly sized and comfortably furnished. That its location is just a very short walk to the Staatsoper is just a bonus

When I'm in the mood for something modern, I like the SIDE design hotel, with its lighting installations by Robert Wilson.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:02 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle

I have also tried some of the Design Hotels in Hamburg. Be warned, do not follow in my footsteps - they are horrendous.
Hi vuittonsofstyle,
I am also in the process of looking for a hotel in Hamburg and was actually leaning towards Side hotel before reading this thread... Assuming that Side is amongst the design hotels you tried, would you mind to elaborate what the problems were?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
Hi vuittonsofstyle,
I am also in the process of looking for a hotel in Hamburg and was actually leaning towards Side hotel before reading this thread... Assuming that Side is amongst the design hotels you tried, would you mind to elaborate what the problems were?
Gastwerk Hotel - arrived hungry. No restaurants or room service open. Brutal architecture in run-down part of down. Depressing.

25 Hours Hotel - OK if you're young and stoned. Otherwise, no.

Side - Rather better than the rest, but not 'comfortable' for me. Too brutalist in style and rather haphazard service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.