Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carlyle, New York City

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Carlyle, New York City

Would love to hear your thoughts/experiences on The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, specifically service, room condition, location, etc. (planning a trip in nov.) Thank you.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:15 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
The Carlyle is located on the Upper East Side - E. 76th St. at Madison Ave.

Here's a review I posted two years ago...
Located at East 76th and Madison, the Carlyle is located in a residential neighborhood very convenient to such attractions as the Metropolitan Museum. This is a very attractive hotel, and the newly renovated rooms come in either an ivory or a blue color scheme; I found both very appealing. There is much variety among the rooms (and the bathrooms), and it's important to know your client's preferences when booking this hotel. Do they want a bath tub? a separate shower? a powder room in their suite? a kitchenette? Chances are, the hotel can accommodate whatever they wish — if you work with the Sales staff. For a special treat, book a tower room for incredible views of the full expanse of Central Park — or looking south down Madison Avenue.
It's a Virtuoso property:

For 2010, Virtuoso guests receive:
  • Upgrade upon arrival, subject to availability
  • $80 total daily Breakfast Credit, in restaurant or via room service for up to 2 in-room guests
  • Complimentary High Speed Internet access
  • Welcome amenity
  • $50.00 Food & Beverage credit, once during stay
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:17 am
Suspended

Any recent reviews?

Need an UES hotel, as my sister-in-law lives on 71st.

My go-to hotel is the StR, but for this trip, looking at the Carlyle or the Surrey....
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:49 am

The Carlyle has excellent service and, unlike most NYC hotels these days, its restaurants are self-run and are really good, with terrific atmosphere.

Everything works well at the Carlyle - the two problems are the accommodation - it really needs a complete re-think as even the large suites are oddly decorated - and The Spa, which looks more like a nightclub and is more of a hair salon than anything else.

A Central Park Tower Suite works best, but even in these, bathrooms are old and tiny, on the whole. They have started to refurbish, though, so I would ask for a recently refurbished room. Despite its quirks, The Carlyle is a lovely place to stay - very much of the place.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:05 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The Carlyle has excellent service and, unlike most NYC hotels these days, its restaurants are self-run and are really good, with terrific atmosphere.

Everything works well at the Carlyle - the two problems are the accommodation - it really needs a complete re-think as even the large suites are oddly decorated - and The Spa, which looks more like a nightclub and is more of a hair salon than anything else.

A Central Park Tower Suite works best, but even in these, bathrooms are old and tiny, on the whole. They have started to refurbish, though, so I would ask for a recently refurbished room. Despite its quirks, The Carlyle is a lovely place to stay - very much of the place.
I stayed in a non-refurbished superior suite about 18 months ago and would never go back. The HVAC noisily recycled all the time and it was either too hot or too cold, the entire system needed replacing. The room itself hadn't been remodeled since the great depression. I really don't like having to find someone to operate the lift for me, not only were they not always there, I really have no problem pushing the button myself -- would rather have that person doing something else instead. The front desk wouldn't even deign to make the effort to see if I could have late checkout.

The included breakfast was OK but i thought the dining room looked very dated.

So it may be very much of the place, but whatever that place is, it's not mine.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 2, 2014 at 2:00 am
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:18 am
Suspended

Wow, two starkly different reviews.

Two other contenders: The Lowell & The Mark. Both UES. Anyone?

FWIW, it was the bar of the Carlyle that looked so appealing to me. Certainly not a reason to stay somewhere, though!

Instead of creating two more threads, how about turning this one into an UES thread?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I stayed in a non-refurbished superior suite about 18 months ago and would never go back. The HVAC noisily recycled all the time and it was either too hot or too cold, the entire system needed replacing. The room itself hadn't been remodeled since the great depression. I really don't like having to find someone to operate the lift for me, not only were they not always there, I really have no problem pushing the button myself -- would rather have that person doing something else instead. The front desk wouldn't even deign o make the effort to see if I could have late checkout.

The included breakfast was OK but i thought the dining room looked very dated.

So it may be very much of the place, but whatever that place is, it's not mine.
I know what you mean - The Carlyle can be a challenge. They can't get rid of the lift operators due to the NYC Labour Laws. Between them, they earn around $1 million a year, so I heard. I, too, would like to see the back of them, especially the grumpy ones.

Food is very good, though. If they get the refurb right, then it could be OK. Until then, I will stick with MO NY and The Greenwich.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:22 am
Suspended

I know what you mean - The Carlyle can be a challenge. They can't get rid of the lift operators due to the NYC Labour Laws. Between them, they earn around $1 million a year, so I heard. I, too, would like to see the back of them, especially the grumpy ones.

Food is very good, though. If they get the refurb right, then it could be OK. Until then, I will stick with MO NY and The Greenwich.
The Mandarin could work, but would require a huge walk around or a cut-through of Central Park. Could be fun...but it is December...so weather is crucial.

Greenwich is way too far.

I'll stick w/ the StR unless I can find a better UES option (or even something like the Mandarin)
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
The Mandarin could work, but would require a huge walk around or a cut-through of Central Park. Could be fun...but it is December...so weather is crucial.

Greenwich is way too far.

I'll stick w/ the StR unless I can find a better UES option (or even something like the Mandarin)
Across the road from The Carlyle is The Mark, if you need to be in that exact area. The rooms and suites are very good here, especially the bathrooms. Food is OK - nothing too special. Service OK, too. You would probably prefer it to the Carlyle.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:56 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

My go-to hotel is the StR, but for this trip, looking at the Carlyle or the Surrey....
I love the Carlyle for it's public spaces, particularly Bemelman's Bar with the nightly live jazz music and Cafe Carlyle depending on who's on stage.

During my last visit in spring of this year I looked at some rooms, but wouldn't want to stay there. Simply too out-dated and old-fashioned.

I do like the Surrey across the street. It has a bit of a boutique hotel flair, the rooms are nice, bright and a lot more modern than those at the Carlyle. The bathrooms are great. Elevators a bit slow, but that would be my only issue.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Across the road from The Carlyle is The Mark, if you need to be in that exact area. The rooms and suites are very good here, especially the bathrooms.
+1 on The Mark.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
+1 on The Mark.
A lot (i.e., most) of the pictures of the rooms for the Mark on TA show kitchenettes.

Is this the norm? Are these rooms more like studio apts?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lot (i.e., most) of the pictures of the rooms for the Mark on TA show kitchenettes.

Is this the norm? Are these rooms more like studio apts?
The rooms I have stayed at here did not have kitchens.

You had me curious so I did stop over on trip advisor for a quick minute- and I think the room I have stayed in is a "seventy seven king":
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...rk.html#photos

If you want a kitchenette- keep in mind the Trump on Central Park (don't be deterred by the name)- the hotel has some nice upper floor one bedroom suites with small kitchens in them and stunning views over the park. I have also stayed here a few times and for space/view combination think this is a very good value for NYC if you need space or want to keep some food in the fridge etc and do some light cooking (I do believe they have a sign on the stovetop asking you not to do anything that creates "odors" whatever that may mean). Trump location though is far closer to the MO (in fact just across the street) so if you want to be farther up the east side than the Mark could be a better option.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
The rooms I have stayed at here did not have kitchens.

You had me curious so I did stop over on trip advisor for a quick minute- and I think the room I have stayed in is a "seventy seven king":
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...rk.html#photos

If you want a kitchenette- keep in mind the Trump on Central Park (don't be deterred by the name)- the hotel has some nice upper floor one bedroom suites with small kitchens in them and stunning views over the park. I have also stayed here a few times and for space/view combination think this is a very good value for NYC if you need space or want to keep some food in the fridge etc and do some light cooking (I do believe they have a sign on the stovetop asking you not to do anything that creates "odors" whatever that may mean). Trump location though is far closer to the MO (in fact just across the street) so if you want to be farther up the east side than the Mark could be a better option.
I'm not looking for a kitchenette...just curious, really.

The closer I can get to 71st the better, to be honest.

If distance didn't matter, I'd keep my St. Regis rez.

Pretty much crossed off the Carlyle, so it's just Mark vs. Surrey.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:56 am

I'm not looking for a kitchenette...just curious, really.

The closer I can get to 71st the better, to be honest.

If distance didn't matter, I'd keep my St. Regis rez.

Pretty much crossed off the Carlyle, so it's just Mark vs. Surrey.
Well, The Surrey has a better restaurant - Café Boulud - a really special Boulud, with very good food and service & a really chic ambience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.