Community
Wiki Posts
Search

India's best hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:08 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I haven't stayed in this hotel but seeing the slums is essential to me. I can't believe friends who go from airport to 5 star hotel and then claim to have experienced India.

We also stay with 'friends' met through charity a number of years ago and visit their projects taking stuff- we also fund raise etc. It's a tiny drop in the ocean of what's needed though and we never feel that we do enough. I am always overwhelmed by the mass of contradictions that is India.

I hadn't seen a dead person until I went to Delhi- it changed my life- honestly. My daughter is 16 next year and I am taking her. Yes we will stAy in some very nice hotels but we will also stay in a village project working with homeless children.

Sorry to bring the tone down but if by stAying in a certain hotel you get to see the slums I think that is great. We should All see them.
Stay at the 5 stars is what I tell everyonee (at least for the first go around - and to just see some sights - immerse yourself next time - India can be very polarizing). If you want to see and learn about a slum (Dharavi) google "reality tours and travel" they have tours in Dharavi and are very good (I say this as someone of Indian origin who has been going to India my whole life).Fascinting. You can also walk through Chor Bazaar, which can take you a lifetime, but at least give it half a day. If you dont have time and are at the FS, walk outside and cross Moses Road.

Since "real" India is indeed the towns and villages. So if you are on an excursion (say delhi to agra) stop at a random town, walk a little, observe and get back in the car.

Barnaby: it is great you are taking your child to see such things. The lady at the Imperial was probably surprised since most staying at such hotels are tourist/businesspeople, most who are not interested in seeing the slums or trying to remove themselves from reality. The smell would probably turn most people away alone.

As for not letting you in, I remember back in 1998 (in my teens) I was in Delhi with my uncle and he was treating me to a western breakfast at Le Meridien (he lives in a small town down south and I hadn't had pancakes in over 2 months). I was dressed I guess like a driver or some kind of layman/boy and rocking the flip flops to boot. They would not let us in. I tried speaking in English, and the doorman did not understand. My uncle whipped out his credit card (add'l note: he was dressed in local southern style - think traditional tamil) and even then the doorman did not understand. The concierge/front desk was yelling "let them in" and furiously motioning him to let us in. He finally did. I laugh about it now, but that is how stratified society is (I think its quite revolting, personally), but they would all lose tons of business if they let in normal folk (not just from snobby locals, I fear )

Musken - your drivers and guides are just trying to serve you with what most tourists/visitors want to see and its understandable. I have faced the same problems in China and elsewhere - so I know where you are coming from. You wouldn't want to show your houseguests where the termites are, or the mouse traps lie, would you?

Any questions please PM me or ask at the India forum ,where there are people who are far better informed than I about tourism in India.

I have gotten off topic and will stop here

Last edited by Jamoldo; Aug 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:03 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
amanbagh seems to get mixed reports, and has (officially) cut excursions
Kage, can you provide more information about Amanbagh cutting excursions? Is that a reference to the discontinuation of the off-site candlelight dinner--or are you aware of other reductions in excursions?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I second The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra. My personal favorite amongst lux hotels I've stayed at.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kingalien
I second The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra. My personal favorite amongst lux hotels I've stayed at.
Sounds great. Thats the one im considering... Its quite expensive?? 1.000 USD pr. night? cant be cheaper right? is it worth 1.000 USD pr. night?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13241090-post25.html
thought something else came up as well, perhaps misremembering

amarvilas RACK from $640...
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:46 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Hoteleksperten, make sure to search out the trip reports on this luxury hotel forum on the properties being mentioned....
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jamoldo
I don't have Vuitton's expertise or experience when it comes to luxury hotels, but I have to fundamentally disagree on certain points. The FS is fantastic and the service I've had there is very good and in certain cases more friendly and helpful than in other hotels.

That being said, I don't qualify it as a luxury property. It may be a 5 star, but its very much a business/banker-ish hotel and thus isn't the most "soulful" or "Colorful" experience. It's much more corporate and you can see that the minute you step into the lobby. So if you want a special experience and are not travelling for business (and cost is not an issue - the FS had a buy 2 nights get the 3rd free special), go elsewhere.

That being said, they accomodated me in my one big request that the Taj, Trident and Oberoi could not, and that was with restaurant reccomendations. Most concierges give you a list of about 10 restaurants (Indian) in Mumbai to hit when you are there (with 1-2 being in the hotel itself or next door). I am well aware that they have probably been instructed by management to do this and to protect guests but... After putting forth my conditions (I've eaten on the road in some pretty rural places), the concierge was more than happy to point out a place the employees had eaten before the staff cafeteria was completed. As someone of South Indian descent, I was thrilled. The meal was sheap (think 1-2 USD), hot, clean enough (this is India) and about a 100m walk from the hotel. I still go to that place every time I am at the FS.

While I agree with Vuitton that the sea view is distant (relative) when compared to Taj, Oberoi and Trident, one can see dire poverty everywhere in India. It is a fact of life. Although the main road on Worli cuts right through slums, so does a lot of BOM. One can easily see shantys/slums from the Oberoi/Trident and within 2 mins of a walk from the Taj hotel on Colaba, will be hounded by begging kids (tip: buy a bunch of fruit/bananas and hand them out, the kids love it) or stepping over families sleeping on the street. Also, the FS is very close to the race course, which houses some pretty upscale restaurants, which of course is bordered by slums. In other words, unless you close your eyes every time you get in the car, you will see dire poverty. You just have to get used to it.

San Qi is not bad, though if you are in India for a short stay, I would avoid it and eat Indian food. There is so much variety it is incredible.

Location - if its business, where in town is your business/work? If its tourism, what do you want to see? Nariman Point and Colaba are way down in South bombay and getting to them from the airport can be a nightmare. FS is far closer to the Worli sealink and one can get to the airport in as little as 20 minutes with some luck (this was literally impossible pre-sealink). My work takes me all across town and so the FS is very well placed for me (not to mention the rates).

All things considered, I love the Oberoi (have not seen the new rooms), but I feel the renovations have made the lobby much more cold and corporate, theough pre attacks the hotel was looking a bit worn. The pool area is a massive upgrade over the poor excuse of a pool that they used to have. The Taj oozes luxury and culture and it would be my first choice (post renovation) if I wanted a special stay in Mumbai.

Edited to add: The JW Marriott is worth considering if you want to stay in the Juhu area. Doesn't have the grandeur of the other mentioned places, but is very nice and is right on the beach
Sounds like you're saying it's a top hotel with the 5-star service, luxury, and amenities, but it just isn't as geared for the leisure travelers that the Taj and Oberoi properties may be?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:52 pm

I highly recommend the following hotels where I stayed at in my trip to India last year (March 2009)

New Delhi - The Imperial
Agra - Oberoi Amarvilas
Jaipur - Rambagh Palace
Jodhpur - Taj Umaid Bhawan
Udaipur - Taj Lake Palace Palace

The service in all the properties was excellent. Also, the hotels (except for the Amarvilas) have a history.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:48 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hoteleksperten
Sounds great. Thats the one im considering... Its quite expensive?? 1.000 USD pr. night? cant be cheaper right? is it worth 1.000 USD pr. night?
It is a wonderful hotel with a fantastic view of Taj Mahal.

Rates are starting at around 650 USD per night when booking direct. I do not know where you can possibly find lower rates, but I see that the Oberoi has special offers for 8 nights or more where you can stay at several different Oberoi hotels in India (all from their internet site).

Wether it is worth it or not really depends on your preferences and wether you are able to just enjoy and not think about costs once you stay there. I know several people who could afford such hotels but do not think it is worth the splurge to pay this kind of money for a hotel rooms as long as they could have a nice stay in a 3 or 4 star hotel. The regulars in this forum obviously disagree. I personally think that staying in luxury hotels is the best possible way I could spend money. I do not know what kind of hotels you would normally stay in, but if you have not yet tried staying in a real luxury hotel, I would definitely recommend you to try, knowing that it might be an expensive habit for the future, as there is often not a way back once you have experienced a real luxury hotel...
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Musken

Rates are starting at around 650 USD per night when booking direct. I do not know where you can possibly find lower rates, but I see that the Oberoi has special offers for 8 nights or more where you can stay at several different Oberoi hotels in India (all from their internet site).

Wether it is worth it or not really depends on your preferences and wether you are able to just enjoy and not think about costs once you stay there. I know several people who could afford such hotels but do not think it is worth the splurge to pay this kind of money for a hotel rooms as long as they could have a nice stay in a 3 or 4 star hotel. The regulars in this forum obviously disagree. I personally think that staying in luxury hotels is the best possible way I could spend money. I do not know what kind of hotels you would normally stay in, but if you have not yet tried staying in a real luxury hotel, I would definitely recommend you to try, knowing that it might be an expensive habit for the future, as there is often not a way back once you have experienced a real luxury hotel...
Very well said Musken and a serious LOL at my highlighted bit!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:59 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by Shangri-La
Sounds like you're saying it's a top hotel with the 5-star service, luxury, and amenities, but it just isn't as geared for the leisure travelers that the Taj and Oberoi properties may be?
To be honest I have not stayed at other FS properties. I have stayed at RCs, Shangri-Las, Oberois, TAJ, IC etc. I would say the FC has the service and amenities that others in BOM do, but is certainly not geared towards the leisure traveller seeking an experience and true luxury.

Most certainly the lobby and room decor are much more corporate and geared towards business travelers and are not opulent (unlike the Taj/Oberoi) but are very comfortable.

I've always been of the belief that a hotel can be 5 star without being overly opulent or luxurious (some/many would disagree) and the FS in BOM is as such. That being said, this is a "Luxury Hotels" thread and I don't think the FS is as such. I guess its a fine line, but I try to draw it.

In short: pretty much what you said
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Musken

That's correct - Always disappointment when going back to standard 5-stars Thanks for info!
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
In no particular order:-

Delhi:
Aman New Delhi
The Oberoi Delhi
Taj Palace Hotel, Delhi (Club Floor only)

Mumbai:
The Taj Mahal Palace
The Oberoi Mumbai

Rajasthan area:
Amanbagh
Nadesar Palace, Varanasi
Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur
The Rambagh Palace, Jaipur
The Oberoi Rajvilas, Jaipur
Devi Ratn, Jaipur
The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra
Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur
The Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur
Devi Garh, near Udaipur
The Oberoi Vanyavilas, Ranthambhore
Aman-i-Khas, Ranthambhore

Madhya Pradesh National Parks:
Banjaar Tola, Kanha

Kolkata:
The Oberoi Kolkata

Bangalore:
Taj West End

Hyderabad
Falaknuma Palace hyderabad
Stayed in the Nadesar Palace Hotel in Varanasi. Was Upgraded to the best available Suite = Queen Elizabeth Suite.

I added some pictures to my blog:

http://youhavebeenupgraded.blogspot....-varanasi.html

http://youhavebeenupgraded.blogspot....aranasi-2.html
Old Jul 3, 2011, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great pics, especially layout. ^

very odd how the room entrances work. only 3 are interior-only, with 2 off the lounge on the upper floor, and 1 off the lounge on the lower floor.

http://www.psda.in/taj-nadesar.asp

would make a good takeover combination with aman/taj safari.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great pics, especially layout. ^

very odd how the room entrances work. only 3 are interior-only, with 2 off the lounge on the upper floor, and 1 off the lounge on the lower floor.

http://www.psda.in/taj-nadesar.asp

would make a good takeover combination with aman/taj safari.
Once you are there, the room entrances make total sense, as they come off intimate public lounges on each floor, so you feel as though you are in a private home.

In fact, I stayed here in combination with 2 Taj/AndByond safaris in Madhya Pradesh, so yes, it works very well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.