Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotel with an art museum

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

My colleague Shannon McClatchey recently stayed at amost unusual hotel, the 21C Museum Hotel, in Lexington, Kentucky.

I know that many luxury hotels have small art collections but this takes the concept to a new level.

21C Museum Hotel

Imagine taking a modern, boutique hotel and dropping it into the middle of your favorite art museum. That’s the best way to describe the 21c Museum Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky; the city best known for the Kentucky Derby, horse country, and bourbon. The two dedicated and passionate art collectors who created the 21c Museum Hotel wanted to highlight another aspect of Louisville: its growing arts community.

The 21c Museum Hotel is dedicated to twenty-first century artists (hence the name 21c) and everywhere you look – from the moment you walk into the lobby, the hallways, the elevators and (even in the elevator) – there is art. Exhibitions change regularly like any other museum and there is a particular focus on local artists, with events such as artist talks. It’s a unique hotel even to a road warrior such as myself.
continues here

Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: mosttraveledpeople.com
Interesting post, jspira.

For the same reasons I like the Byblos Arthotel in Verona: http://www.byblosarthotel.com/
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
(12) My all-time favorite. Room #401 here. It was during my honeymoon. This room was very simply furnished, but it had this incredible 360 degree view of the Japan inland sea, plus the wall art were Keith Haring lithographs and paintings. The building, designed by Tadao Ando, has to be one of the more impressive buildings I've been in.
Originally Posted by Pickles
f we drop my self-imposed "large and well-known" condition, I'd add the Peak Annex at Benesse House in Naoshima Island, Shikoku, Japan. This place is unbelievable. It consists of a small hotel perched on top of a contemporary art museum designed by Tadao Ando, with 360 degree views of the inland sea. The rooms all feature original art from the people who have exhibited there. The room I stayed in had some original oils by Keith Haring. The rooms are simply appointed but the building itself has to be one of the most beautiful I've ever been in. Check it out at www.naoshima-is.co.jp
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Quote:"If we drop my self-imposed "large and well-known" condition, I'd add the Peak Annex at Benesse House in Naoshima Island, Shikoku, Japan. "

Pickles: That sounds really glorious. I'll definitely do some research. Had problems accessing the website. The description of the art reminds me of our first stay at Colombe d'or, in the seventies. This little 19 room inn in the south of france traded meals for art with the hungry local artists; the "local " artists having been: Braque, Matisse, Calder, Leger,Modigliani, Picasso.. Thus, it was (still is) quite amazing to see this wonderful art where you are a hotel guest. Sadly, this little 19-room inn which we "discovered" in the seventies is now surrounded by a huge parking lot filled with tour buses and rental cars. The art survives, but the charm and ambience have disappeared. The little square where the locals played bocci-ball is filled with tourists and the area plays host to multi-starred restaurants. Yet, I still have to include Colombe d'or as one of my all-time favorite places. I shall definitely consider your recommendation in Japan--want to get there before it is too late. I remember the shock of visiting Bali ten years after my first visit
seems like lots of openings lately, but arent most more boutique than luxury?

related - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...lingwater.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 25, 2010 at 7:04 pm
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:18 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels

The Posta Vecchia in Palo Laziale near Rome springs to mind.

This Michelin starred Relais & Chateaux is built on the reminds of a Roman villa and under the reception there are the original mosaics with a museum like Roman art display. Amazing place!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
IIRC, the 21c was created by two Wal-Mart heirs. Apparently, their next project is to bring the 21c concept to the world-class urban milieu of Bentonville, Arkansas (headquarters location of said retail giant):

http://www.rexnelsonsouthernfried.com/?p=1027

On another note, the Hotel Continental in Oslo displays art of different genres in both its public rooms and guest rooms:

http://www.hotel-continental.no/i/ab...ntinental.aspx
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Seeing this thread reminds me of the Imperial in Delhi where I saw many beautiful works of art:

http://www.theimperialindia.com/imperial_art.php

Art and The Imperial

The Imperial’s relationship with art is a long standing one. Since its inception, over 70 years ago, the Hotel, known as a museum hotel, has been a repository of art and a home to many famous artists.

The Imperial, proudly displays a priceless collection of the ‘British Art on India.’ Some prominent artists are Thomas and William Daniells, William Simpson, William Hodges, John Zollony, James Ferguson, J.B. Fraser, Emily Eden, Charles D’Oyly, among others.

The Imperial has to its credit the distinction of hosting one of the earliest Art Exhibitions in the year 1936. This was graced and inaugurated by H.H. the Maharaja of Patiala.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Agreed on Naoshima - it is fantastic - and actually is a pretty good collection. You can choose rooms based on the art. I love the place.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:19 pm

Well on a tacky level what about Steve Wynn's collection?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Centurion
Well on a tacky level what about Steve Wynn's collection?
The whole notion of an real art collection on display in Las Vegas may be tacky (as the Guggenheim museum found out), but that doesn't take away from the art judged on its own merits. By all accounts, Wynn owns or has access to some really good stuff. However, it's OT for this thread since I doubt anyone other than a genuine Bellagio Whale is ever going to see any of it in their hotel room.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:36 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Naoshima in Japan

is really the best. Fantastic scenic island, 3 museums, one of it being the most impressive museum on the whole world. Hotel rooms not with some local crap art, but with worldwide-top-50-list-artists.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
it's OT for this thread since I doubt anyone other than a genuine Bellagio Whale is ever going to see any of it in their hotel room.
bellagio villas are bookable.

also mirage villas, encore apartments, wynn upper floor fairways - although not sure about art in those.

id assume there is fine art in other villas as well, mostly bookable except perhaps a couple at caesars.
Originally Posted by jspira
I know that many luxury hotels have small art collections but this takes the concept to a new level.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 18, 2010 at 6:52 am
Old Jun 18, 2010, 9:34 am

21c louisville

Sorry to be nit-picky but 21C was created by a developer power couple (grand daughter of Brown Foreman distillery founder) in LOUISVILLE.

They're looking to expand in Austin TX, Cincinnati and recently began working with a couple of Walton family members on a 21C in Bentonville, AK.

It's a great concept paired with a great restaurant that focuses on promoting and developing the Arts - something that has been done pretty well for many years in Louisville. (no offense meant to original poster or to Lexington KY).
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by gator91
Sorry to be nit-picky but 21C was created by a developer power couple (grand daughter of Brown Foreman distillery founder) in LOUISVILLE.They're looking to expand in Austin TX, Cincinnati and recently began working with a couple of Walton family members on a 21C in Bentonville, AK.
I stand corrected, and apologies for the mis-statement. I first heard about this project in the WSJ, and mis-read the first paragraph of the WSJ story to mean that the power couple was part of the Walton-family:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...211756690.html

So AFAIK, Walton family funds are only involved in the Bentonville expansion, and not with any of the other existing or planned locations.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 7:48 pm

This hotel looks nice, will try this out if I have any plans to there!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Oh Yes, 21C in Louisville is fantastic! Lobby gallery often includes projections onto the floor.....one time was a Warhol-like time-lapse video of a couple in bed overnight....all the movements to/from each other. As part of the experience, do try the lobby men's restroom with the urinal-waterwall which is also a one-way mirror/window to the lobby hallway! The hotel sits on the old Main Street which parallels the river, with blocks of old cast-iron facade buidings. The restaurant inside 21C, called "Proof" (for the liquor connection) has an inventive menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.