Wiki Posts
Search

Italian Hotels - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:51 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by Shangri-La
Any options on the Amalfi coast?
Il San Pietro & Le Sirenuse in Positano & Palazzo Sasso in Ravello. But you have to be more specific. What time of the year are you planning on going? Is having beach access important? If so, Il San Pietro has its own beach. If being in town is a priority and you don't mind using the public beach along with a tiny pool that shares its space with the main restaurant (which is outstanding, btw) then Le Sirenuse it is.

While I think Ravello is a beautiful spot, I could never stay there more than 2 nights. You're basically stuck in a bird's nest, with views that are gorgeous but get tiring fast + it'll take you 15 minutes by car to get down to the coast.

I'm clearly biased when it comes to San Pietro, as we'll be coming back there 5th year in a row this August (while on the subject of Italian hotels, we'll also be checking out Il Pellicano this year. Any recent stays?). Can't deal with a public beach, like the secluded, resort-like feel, tennis courts and everything about the property. But we do love dinners at Le Sirenuse. Here are some of the shots of/from Il San Pietro:

And from Le Sirenuse:

Red building in the center is LS:

Main restaurant during lunch, the umbrellas is the pool. Yes, it is THAT close, but once again, dinners there come highly recommended:
Old May 1, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.villatreville.it/
http://www.villatreville.com/
http://blog.jdbhotels.com/node/5
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.001135&z=20

4 villas, only one doesnt have private pool (= ?)

€1210 or €1650 per suite >
- rosa - 2 suites
- azzura - 3 suites
- trepini - 5 suites

€3850 & €5500 per suite >
- bianca - 2BR suite & 3BR suite

restaurant, 2 bars, boat

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...ome-sold-hotel
reopens as luxury hotel – three years after sale...For 35 years, until [Franco Zeffirelli] sold it in 2007... estate's links with the arts go back to the 1920s...Guests will even be able to browse through the books [Zeffirelli] left behind...bought by a local hotel owner, Giovanni Russo [owner of Sorrento Palace and Bellevue Syrene]...an eccentric greenhouse, made from part of the set for one of Zeffirelli's productions of La Traviata, had been kept and adapted for use as accommodation...
http://www.cntraveller.com/news/2011...illa-tre-ville
Zeffirelli's...collection of 18th-century Caltagirone pottery is set into ceramic niches above the fireplace... staffed by long-serving employees of Signor Russo; the vegetables come from the garden cultivated by Zeffirelli, seafood is supplied fresh by the hotel's fisherman...highest of the villas is several hundred feet below the coast road...traffic noise is non-existent
http://www.architecturaldigest.com/r...-ville-article
when Julian Schnabel stayed here recently, he paid tribute to a long-lost artist friend from Positano by painting the words HUMANITY ASLEEP over a traditional Sicilian puppet-theater backdrop in one of the living rooms.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 20, 2011 at 12:37 pm
Old May 2, 2011, 11:53 am
BLV

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.villatreville.it/
http://www.villatreville.com/
http://blog.jdbhotels.com/node/5
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.001135&z=20

4 villas, only one doesnt have private pool (= ?)

€1210 or €1650 per suite >
- rosa - 2 suites
- azzura - 3 suites
- trepini - 5 suites

€3850 & €5500 per suite >
- bianca - 2BR suite & 3BR suite

restaurant, 2 bars, boat

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...ome-sold-hotel
No beach and overall facilities to speak of, which would be important (for me) for a property that is not directly located in Positano.

"The beach and town of Positano can conveniently be reached by sea directly from the private jetty within the estate, from which sails the romantic wooden motor boat, the ‘San Ferdinando’, available to guests from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily."
Old May 3, 2011, 1:11 am

Rome - I have heard (though never stayed in) that the Hotel de Russie is fabulous. We realy enjoy the Hassler - great location at the top of the Spanish Steps - and the Westin Excelsior. There's usually a deal with Starwood that we can combine a stay at the Excelsior in Rome with...

Florence - the Grand hotel, currently under rennovations - due to be completed this month. The location is fabulous, right on the Arno river across the piazza from the Westin Excelsior. The Grand is one of our favorite hotels in the world. I, too, have heard that the FS Florence is lovely, but the location is a drawback for us.
Old May 3, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
This thread i s a bit old but i would like to give my feedback as well.

Rome
Both the Hotel de Russie and The Portrait Suites (last one i think belong to Ferragamo Family and has many decoration with the official logo of the brand...it is just up their boutique in Rome) works fantastic for me in Rome.
I prefer Hotel de Russie because being a bigger hotel deliver come complete service.

I hear very good reviewv about The Eden, but never been there.

I even like The St. Regis in Rome, spectacular hotel old style. But recently the dining option were very limited and for dinner we could only have dinner at the lobby bar (they said restaurant was under renovation).

Florence
I have been and like particularly the Hotel Savoy (very centrally located) and The Westin Excelsior. Savoy more modern, Westin old school.
Four Season is gougeous but not been there yet

Naples
I'm afraid that many people reccomend not to visit Naples. It's a wonderful City, my native city. But, yes, There are several minus that I understand can bother many travellers.
BTW. Best in town are supposed to be The Grand Hotel Vesuvio and The Excelsior (both on Via Partenope) and The Parker (not very familiar with the last one i must say).
About the coast I can name at least 10/20 fantastic hotel. Not to be missed for sure
Il San Pietro....do me a favour and do not compare this with anything else... Il San Pietro is unique... end of the discussion
I love as well Mezzatorre Resort in Ischia. Fantastic location as well.
And I'm a fun as well of Ravello with Villa Cimbrone and Palazzo Sasso on the top of list whyle i do not favour really il Caruso, that is a very beatiful hotel anyway i must say.
Santa Caterina is a nice hotel as well very close to Amalfi...and i like once in a while The Excelsior Vittoria in Sorrento.

best
The_Daddy
Old May 4, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: You mean the cards at the bottom of my desk drawer? BAEC, FB, BA PP Amex, LHW...never any status...
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.ilborro.com/eng/index.php
also owned by ferragamo, but i presume this is the non luxury alternative to il borgo?
although il borro does have villas to rent.
Borro is owned by Ferruccio, and Borgo is owned by Massimo, I think... Borro is lovely, particularly if you can stay in the main villa. And the other villas and farmhouses are great for families or small groups of friends. They've made huge investments in the estate, winery, agriculture, village, spa, etc. which are now paying off, and I think it's fantastic. (I haven't been to Borgo, though, so I don't know how they compare.)

In Florence, how about the Lungarno as another option? It's not the FS, and I haven't stayed there, but it's got a great location on the bank of the river and an excellent restaurant (Borgo San Jacopo) which is worth a trip. Saw the other day it was available in a Jetsetter.com sale. I agree with vuittonsofstyle re the Grand Hotel Villa Medici - we tried it out a few years ago and got upgraded to a nice suite, but the place is faded, the location a bit inconvenient, and service was slightly Fawlty Towers.
Old May 4, 2011, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by BMK
As is the norm I agree with Vuitton.

The FS in Florence really is an exceptional property. You will need a cab to get to anywhere but the grounds, pool and service more than make up for it. Not cheap mind you (their quote for an airport transfer was beyond funny) but I had a fantastic weekend there for a wedding.

Naples is basically a wheelie-bin. Avoid. At all costs.

Capri is a great shout - truly magical island. The JK Place is a stunning property but is actually in Ancapri so isn't walking distance to the main action. I recommend the Scalinatella www.scalinatella.com. Great views and service although like most hotels on the island its not big. Make sure you go to The Lemon Tree for dinner.
Actually the JK Place is all the way down in the Marina Grande area and not in Ana Capri. THe Capri Palace is in Ana Capri
Old May 4, 2011, 6:06 pm
BLV

Da Paolino (referred to above as The Lemon Tree) is hugely overrated, IMHO.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone stayed at the Parco Dei Principe in Rome recently? I stayed in a suite there some years ago, and really enjoyed it, the room was big, and filled with opulant furniture, but because of the large windows it felt light and airy, not stuffy. The service was great (they put up with my stumbling Italian and helped me out without the eye roll and English replies typical elsewhere!) and it was lovely walking through the gardens into town. It is a little bit 'out of it' (Last year I stayed at the Victoria - can't recommend the hotel, although the location was perfect for me, and the rooftop bar was lovely), but you can either walk through beautiful gardens, or hop in a cab for a few Euros. As I said, this was a few years ago, no idea what has changed since then, but would be interested to know if others have stayed there recently.
Old May 7, 2011, 5:35 pm

Amalfi Coast

Originally Posted by Shangri-La
Any options on the Amalfi coast?
I'll second the recommendation for Sirenuse. It's right in the middle of town, and the walk to the beach didn't bother us (we're not lie on the beach folks tho). Great service, very nice room--spent one evening sitting on the balcony listening to the choir from the church. Has a great sauna next to a plunge pool in the spa area. Restaurant was excellent.

Followed that with the St Regis Rome mentioned earlier in the thread. Enjoyed it greatly (especially the morning coffee via butler service), but I wouldn't consider it in the same league. Highly recommend it for Rome, since you'll mostly be out and about and the hotel is very nice (esp if you have SPG points/status).
Old May 10, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Hotel Caruso in Ravello gets my vote if you're going for some R&R and good pampering. Ravello is a town situated above the Amalfi coast and the infinity pool at the hotel has some wonderful views of the coast below.
Old May 13, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: flying blue ,hilton honnors,LHW, melia mas, lufthansa, iberia, amex plat
hotels in Italy

My fav hotels in Italy are :
Hotel Eden In Roma, fantastic service, amazing terrasse on the roof. fab restaurant .
In Venice : hotel San Clemente (an old monastere on private island with golf court , swiming pool , and spa . 10 mn from San Marco with the hotel's boat shuttle ) still in Venice : Hilton Molino Stucky. with a pool on the roof, fantastic view , sky bar ...
Hotel des Bains at the Lido of Venice, private beach , fantastic pool, a little old fashion but full of charm.
Milan, hotel principe di Savoia
Old Sep 3, 2011, 4:02 pm
BLV

Il San Pietro from a stay last week:

And Westin Excelsior (never again, should have stuck with the usual St. Regis:
Old Sep 3, 2011, 5:02 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Awesome pictures BLV!
Old Sep 4, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by BLV
Il San Pietro from a stay last week:

And Westin Excelsior (never again, should have stuck with the usual St. Regis:
BLV what went wrong at Westin? Have been there several times, even recently, and always had a decent stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.