Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:16 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Decidedly off-topic...I'm staying at a Crowne Plaza in the Philly area tonight. I needed to be at a meeting next door early so somehow I thought this would suffice.

To call this a shock to the system would be an understatement.

One night only.

I've decided to make it an adventure.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:55 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by NYBanker
Decidedly off-topic...I'm staying at a Crowne Plaza in the Philly area tonight. I needed to be at a meeting next door early so somehow I thought this would suffice.

To call this a shock to the system would be an understatement.

One night only.

I've decided to make it an adventure.
Good luck!!!
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by luxury
Good luck!!!
I completed my stay with limited harm.

The staff was consistently very nice. Remarkably so. This was a real highlight. Always a friendly hello....and not a "no" to any request.

The clientele, however, felt it was appropriate to have loud gatherings in the lobby, and in the corridors on the room floors. I haven't heard that much talking in the room corridors of a hotel in aggregate in the past ten years.

The smell of cheap cleanser and chlorine dominated the hotel. The restaurant and bar - which had excellent wings at night and remarkably good coffee in the AM - had a worryingly damp rug both at night and in the morning. I don't know what was in the rug...but it was not good. Gross gross gross.

The closer for me was at the bar. The fellow next to me had been staying there for six weeks straight. It was his last night...and he was happy to be released. I never would have made it that long.

I know I am very lucky how I am able to travel. This stay furthered my appreciation. I'll stay downtown and have a driver take me out to Bala Cynwyd next time.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

The smell of cheap cleanser and chlorine dominated the hotel. The restaurant and bar - which had excellent wings at night and remarkably good coffee in the AM - had a worryingly damp rug both at night and in the morning. I don't know what was in the rug...but it was not good. Gross gross gross.
Going to guess that you're talking about the CP Philadelphia West, because I had an identical experience there a few months ago. That smell pervades every part of the hotel.

Got woken up twice due to guests making noise, once from the hallway, once from the room next door. Both times in Russian, so may have been the same group.

Certainly makes you appreciate the better hotels more.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
I completed my stay with limited harm.

The staff was consistently very nice. Remarkably so. This was a real highlight. Always a friendly hello....and not a "no" to any request.

The clientele, however, felt it was appropriate to have loud gatherings in the lobby, and in the corridors on the room floors. I haven't heard that much talking in the room corridors of a hotel in aggregate in the past ten years.

The closer for me was at the bar. The fellow next to me had been staying there for six weeks straight. It was his last night...and he was happy to be released. I never would have made it that long.

I know I am very lucky how I am able to travel. This stay furthered my appreciation. I'll stay downtown and have a driver take me out to Bala Cynwyd next time.
Funny, I have family in Bala Cnywyd as well and have stayed there a couple of times (Priceline seems to be very friendly towards that property"

Highlight has always been the Starbucks next door
Old May 7, 2015, 10:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Mandarin Oriental Also Renovates New York and Prague, Will Expand Munich

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20..._Expand_Munich
Old May 8, 2015, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might go back and try Munich again if they do this, but I would also love to see the staff become more accommodating to their customers. It should really be unnecessary to get into a major debate simply to get checkout extended from noon to 1pm.
Old May 8, 2015, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I might go back and try Munich again if they do this, but I would also love to see the staff become more accommodating to their customers. It should really be unnecessary to get into a major debate simply to get checkout extended from noon to 1pm.
MO seems to be in investment mode at the moment, KL is also under renovation as we speak, they will also invest in new roooms too. With regards to the Munich property, at TA some people aren't happy with the building works taking place right now there, but I presume, it's a beautiful hotel and there's demand too. Sorry to hear about your extended check-out request experience at the MO Munich, usually getting a check-out extended from noon to 1pm shouldn't be a problem IMHO.
Old May 9, 2015, 4:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Was hoping to stay at MOBKK but with the renovations going on , ended up in Sukhothai which thankfully was an oasis in the ' financial ' district part of town & is quite decent . Had thought about The Siam but with this May being the hottest month ever , confirmed by locals , & the public areas without AC , that idea was banished . Traffic to where we had to be made it impractical too . Will save stay for ' cool ' months . Seems all of Thailand is sweltering even though BKK had unusual giant hailstones , floods & storms Thursday afternoon . We just missed that as had left for a different part of the country by then .
Old May 9, 2015, 5:19 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Was hoping to stay at MOBKK but with the renovations going on , ended up in Sukhothai which thankfully was an oasis in the ' financial ' district part of town & is quite decent . Had thought about The Siam but with this May being the hottest month ever , confirmed by locals , & the public areas without AC , that idea was banished . Traffic to where we had to be made it impractical too . Will save stay for ' cool ' months . Seems all of Thailand is sweltering even though BKK had unusual giant hailstones , floods & storms Thursday afternoon . We just missed that as had left for a different part of the country by then .
^^^

We similarly chose the Sukhothai in May 2009 when it was sweltering in the city (and before the Siam existed). We loved it--and it was cheaper than the Pen and much cheaper than the MO. When we return, we'd opt for the Pen or Siam--we preferred the Pen to the MO.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:59 pm

Mandarin Oriental to Take Over Hotel Ritz in Madrid

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...Ritz_in_Madrid
Old May 27, 2015, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.filario.it/ - new small contemporary on lake como, including suites with pools and docks
Old May 31, 2015, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uggboy
Mandarin Oriental to Take Over Hotel Ritz in Madrid

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...Ritz_in_Madrid
I know this has been news for awhile, and a rumor long before that...but man, I am SO excited about this!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I know this has been news for awhile, and a rumor long before that...but man, I am SO excited about this!
Of course it was in the open as a rumor, but it's confirmed now. I'm glad that MO expands further in Europe, but it needs a little bit of time, they will renovate in 2017. On the other hand I wonder how Belmond plans to evolve in the future, beside their upcoming London 2016 The Cadogan planned opening? Only time well tell, I guess but we do indeed hope that Belmond does target more urban destinations in the future.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by uggboy
Of course it was in the open as a rumor, but it's confirmed now. I'm glad that MO expands further in Europe, but it needs a little bit of time, they will renovate in 2017. On the other hand I wonder how Belmond plans to evolve in the future, beside their upcoming London 2016 The Cadogan planned opening? Only time well tell, I guess but we do indeed hope that Belmond does target more urban destinations in the future.
I don't know why but I find the word "Belmond" just meh and nothing about it seems to conjure up images of luxury which perhaps it should, find it hard to believe that was the best that they could come up with. Perhaps subconsciously I think of the dreadful Vauxhall Belmont or the vulgar term Bell**d.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.