Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Where are you going next?

Where are you going next?

Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by scented
Will also try Aman Tokyo, as reviews (and Astrid K) indicate it is better now.

Let us know if you see familiar faces (left) at Puri, should you drop by for a meal.
As of few months ago , there were still a few pioneers , similar to a year ago .
More like a handful at best . But more with 5 years at Puri ..

Met former Aman Tokyo guest assistant now at Nusa last week . Of course being Japanese what else can I expect her to say ?
Will be emailing the HM , but more likely reply Hisayo San at Nemu first & let her follow up
May pm me if you need details
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
September :
Manchester - luxury ??

London : FS Trinity Square ? ( depends on TRs ) , Halkin ..
Have you ever stayed in The Halkin before? I absolutely hated it. Definitely stay somewhere else - London has lots of options.

For Manchester, I've spent months up there on work over the years (not stayed since mid 2015 though) and your only 2 options are the Radisson and The Lowry, neither of which would get close to fulfilling the luxury criteria. The Lowry has better food and a good spa, but The Radisson is in a better location, has a pool and the rooms are probably slightly nicer. The rooms in both hotels are pretty depressing though.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Have you ever stayed in The Halkin before? I absolutely hated it. Definitely stay somewhere else - London has lots of options.

For Manchester, I've spent months up there on work over the years (not stayed since mid 2015 though) and your only 2 options are the Radisson and The Lowry, neither of which would get close to fulfilling the luxury criteria. The Lowry has better food and a good spa, but The Radisson is in a better location, has a pool and the rooms are probably slightly nicer. The rooms in both hotels are pretty depressing though.
Yes , I have MacMyDay . But some rooms I recced are rather horrid . The ones I have stayed in were ok . Which other hotel in Belgravia will you suggest ?

May also want to stay at Connaught but you seem to have had not so brilliant stays recently .

As for Manchester , hope it will be a brief stay then .. As we will be travelling with others , will put in your suggestions for them to consider .
Thanks much
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Yes , I have MacMyDay . But some rooms I recced are rather horrid . The ones I have stayed in were ok . Which other hotel in Belgravia will you suggest ?

May also want to stay at Connaught but you seem to have had not so brilliant stays recently .

As for Manchester , hope it will be a brief stay then .. As we will be travelling with others , will put in your suggestions for them to consider .
Thanks much
The Berkeley is about 3 minute walk from The Halkin, as is The Lanesborough. Just down the road is The Bulgari. All 3 I'd pick over The Halkin. I stayed there a few months ago and really, really did not like it, even though I stayed in their top suite. You can do better

For Manchester, I would go with The Lowry. It is the hotel where all the football teams will stay when they are coming to the city and also where the Manchester United football manager, Jose Mourinho, has been living since taking the job, so must have a certain appeal. I've only ever stayed in Manchester on work, so all I've cared about is a good bed, quiet room and edible breakfast and it hits all the spots. You will find often rates < 150/n, so you're not going to feel ripped off.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Anlun
We've been to Japan once before so if anyone can recommend some off the beaten path day trips from Tokyo we'd appreciate it.
I don't know how much you like the snow, but a quick high speed train to Nagano is lovely in the winter. You go through the urban jungle of Tokyo, pass through a long tunnel, and emerge into a white winter wonderland. Even if you don't have time for skiing, it's fun to wander around the mountain villages and perhaps take in a hot bath. I recommend Nozawa Onsen.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:59 am

The Lowry . . . is the hotel where all the football teams will stay when they are coming to the city and also where the Manchester United football manager, Jose Mourinho, has been living since taking the job, so must have a certain appeal.
Note to self - avoid The Lowry at all costs.

I'm looking forward to four nights at Ceylon Tea Trails in two weeks' time. Much too classy for soccer people.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jan 22, 2017 at 4:24 am
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:18 am

The Berkeley is about 3 minute walk from The Halkin, as is The Lanesborough. Just down the road is The Bulgari. All 3 I'd pick over The Halkin. I stayed there a few months ago and really, really did not like it, even though I stayed in their top suite. You can do better

For Manchester, I would go with The Lowry. It is the hotel where all the football teams will stay when they are coming to the city and also where the Manchester United football manager, Jose Mourinho, has been living since taking the job, so must have a certain appeal. I've only ever stayed in Manchester on work, so all I've cared about is a good bed, quiet room and edible breakfast and it hits all the spots. You will find often rates < 150/n, so you're not going to feel ripped off.
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Note to self - avoid The Lowry at all costs.

I'm looking forward to four nights at Ceylon Tea Trails in two weeks' time. Much too classy for soccer people.
Perhaps try Berkeley or The Lanesborough as are , as you say , about 3 minute walk , leisurely stroll ? , from The Halkin . ( Not the other dark one )
Or stay at The Caledonian Club ??

Sounds like we should try something out of Manchester if any luxury nearby .

Or make sure no teams are in house while we are there ??

Please report on your Tea Trails
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:00 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by scented
Will also try Aman Tokyo, as reviews (and Astrid K) indicate it is better now.

Let us know if you see familiar faces (left) at Puri, should you drop by for a meal.
Just returned from Aman Tokyo 3 weeks ago...it's really a hit or miss on the soft product. Of course it all depends on what your benchmark is...if it's SE Asia Amans...then you may be dissapointed.

However, you will likely love the hard product and while I don't want to write poems about Aman Tokyo, I certainly don't have a better hotel in Tokyo to recommend. Even when the service was a "miss" in my mind, it was just as good as say, the RC, MO , Pen or FS...but not on the legacy Aman level.

It's like, I really like this girl. She's beautiful, smart and I enjoy hanging out with her (by the pool) but I didn't fall in love...

What did my wife put in my coffee this morning?!

Manage your expectations and you will likely enjoy it ... it's also Tokyo, so how can you not have a great time?!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Just returned from Aman Tokyo 3 weeks ago...it's really a hit or miss on the soft product. Of course it all depends on what your benchmark is...if it's SE Asia Amans...then you may be dissapointed.

However, you will likely love the hard product and while I don't want to write poems about Aman Tokyo, I certainly don't have a better hotel in Tokyo to recommend. Even when the service was a "miss" in my mind, it was just as good as say, the RC, MO , Pen or FS...but not on the legacy Aman level.

It's like, I really like this girl. She's beautiful, smart and I enjoy hanging out with her (by the pool) but I didn't fall in love...

What did my wife put in my coffee this morning?!

Manage your expectations and you will likely enjoy it ... it's also Tokyo, so how can you not have a great time?!
Thank you for this! Will report back.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for a long while One Aldwych was incredibly consistent here. i am thinking the main reason it is less discussed now is all the new/reopened properties. a few here did not like 'style' of it, at least one referring to it as "cold" and some said they preferred Halkin to it. there are also Como fans here.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:49 pm

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 10:32 am
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:58 pm

Thanks QPRfan .
Some hope for Manchester in September then
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Originally Posted by Anlun
We'll be honeymooning from Nov 13-Dec 3 in Hong Kong, Thailand and Japan.

Nov 13-16- Hong Kong: RC Hong Kong
Nov 16-18- Bangkok: The Siam
Nov 18-22- Amanpuri
Nov 22-24- Chiang Mai: Anantara
Nov 24-26- Chiang Rai: FS Golden Triangle
Nov 26-27: Bangkok: The Peninsula
Nov 27-Dec 1: RC Tokyo
Dec 1-2: Asaba Ryokan
Dec 2-3: Aman Tokyo

We've been to Japan once before so if anyone can recommend some off the beaten path day trips from Tokyo we'd appreciate it.
Congrats!!

I'd love to hear about your stay with Asaba when you come back
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
Congrats!!

+1

Congratulations !
Do let us know after your jet lag , etc ..

Enjoy your wedding prep too
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
Congrats!!

I'll definitely do a report for this trip this time around. I meant to do one for my Japan trip last year but laziness kicked in. We're really excited to try out Asaba. We stayed at Kaikeke Onsen last year in Yuzawa and it was great. This should be even better. Only disappointment is that the Noh play doesn't start until the very day after we leave.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.