Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:04 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Have enjoyed quite the week of London hospitality - the penthouse at both The Beaumont and The Connaught. Tough times indeed.

Coming up in August:
Park Hyatt, Sydney
Laucala
Langham, Sydney
Wolgan Valley
Await with interest your comments on Laucala post re-opening after the cyclone. We are headed there for ten days next May.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:15 pm

If your only experience of Fiji is Laucala - well, that makes me rather sad as Fiji is a great travel experience as is the entire South Pacific. These hugely expensive offshore resorts only offer in my view a sort of microwaved/bottled/sanitized/Disneyfied experience that makes travelling halfway round the world and back not a particularly meaningful thing to do. Anyway, Macmyday, I'm looking forward to your account of this place. Perhaps I should change my name from Pausanias to Vicarious.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pausanias, that is really not a good argument, and you do cruises

one reason why it's not: please name the laucala equivalent in / closer to EU

not "halfway round the world and back" from west coast US/CA, asia, AU/NZ

laucala rates include inner reef scuba diving and motorized watersports (etc)
laucala is 3000+ acres with farms/horses (only orpheus and wakaya compare)

Originally Posted by KatW
In our decrepitude with various issues, Laucala is just the ticket. Does not have to be so for all.
which Pausanias has mentioned as part of why he does cruises

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 22, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Pausanias
If your only experience of Fiji is Laucala - well, that makes me rather sad as Fiji is a great travel experience as is the entire South Pacific. These hugely expensive offshore resorts only offer in my view a sort of microwaved/bottled/sanitized/Disneyfied experience that makes travelling halfway round the world and back not a particularly meaningful thing to do. Anyway, Macmyday, I'm looking forward to your account of this place. Perhaps I should change my name from Pausanias to Vicarious.
In our decrepitude with various issues, Laucala is just the ticket. Does not have to be so for all.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:44 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We all can respect that YOU like to see more than just a place like Laucala when visiting Fiji...but it is inappropriate to assume your taste is the same for everyone else. Judge Laucala on its own merits, and let people decide what they want to do for themselves.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:50 pm
Original Member

Your view, Pausanias, is valid, assuming you have experienced Laucala. Yes, it is a curated experience and likely its sheer luxury factor sets it apart from other Fiji experiences; I expect most know that going in. Nevertheless I am expecting healthy helpings of Fiji even if these are carefully selected and presented.

Jim is in moderate-stage dementia so upscale traveling is a necessity. I'm just ordinarily aging but yet appreciate lashings of comfort. This is explanation not apology. I am all tickled pink to have ten nights at Laucala. After all, this is the Luxury Hotel forum.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:47 pm

Just to be clear - I have no problem with people going to Laucala and I am looking forward to reading an account of it and seeing photos.

I just wanted to remind people that Fiji is a country as well and that if you fly halfway round the world it might be worth a look, if you are able.

In my experience, I think maybe the only country not worth seeing but worth visiting for the resorts would be the Maldives.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jul 23, 2016 at 3:44 am
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:29 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

For the rest of this year...

Sept:

SLS Beverly Hills (dinner at Saam at the Bazaar)

Oct:

Gritti Palace, Venice (dinners at Le Calandre, Osteria de Fiore, Quadri, il Ridotto)
Aman Grand Canal, Venice (lunch)
Excelsior Hotel Gallia, Milan (dinners at Berton, Il Luogo di Aimo e Nadia, Alice)
Park Tower Knightsbridge, London (dinners at The Ledbury, Marcus)

Westin San Jose (dinner at Manresa)
Umstead Hotel, Cary NC (dinner at Heron's)

Nov:

St Regis San Francisco (dinner at Saison, Omakase)
W Los Angeles/W Beverly Hills
Peninsula Beverly Hills (dinner at Melisse)

Dec:

St Regis San Francisco (dinners at Quince, Campton Place, Wako)

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 19, 2016 at 3:43 pm
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
dinners at Marcus
I was in The Berkeley on Sunday for a quick drink and a nose around as I wanted to see what they had been doing with their refurb. Suffice to say, I was really impressed, especially how every floor has a different theme, different corridors, and different style of rooms. I can't recall ever seeing something like it anywhere else. I was invited to the pre-opening of The Blue Bar, so had already seen the lobby and it's slowly growing on me, but the Blue Bar and Collins Room (used to be Caramel Room) are big improvements. I've decided to move our upcoming stay at The Connaught to The Berkeley in order to try out one of their new rooms.

Do you have dates confirmed yet? We're having dinner there on the 7th Oct. I would also suggest you try out his new restaurant in St. Pancras hotel: The Gilbert Scott.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:42 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I was in The Berkeley on Sunday for a quick drink and a nose around as I wanted to see what they had been doing with their refurb. Suffice to say, I was really impressed, especially how every floor has a different theme, different corridors, and different style of rooms. I can't recall ever seeing something like it anywhere else. I was invited to the pre-opening of The Blue Bar, so had already seen the lobby and it's slowly growing on me, but the Blue Bar and Collins Room (used to be Caramel Room) are big improvements. I've decided to move our upcoming stay at The Connaught to The Berkeley in order to try out one of their new rooms.

Do you have dates confirmed yet? We're having dinner there on the 7th Oct. I would also suggest you try out his new restaurant in St. Pancras hotel: The Gilbert Scott.
We are confirmed for The Ledbury on 7 Oct and Marcus on 8 Oct! Wowzers, we will miss each other by a night! If you're staying at the Berkeley, however, we could perhaps meet you in the bar for a drink or two before our dinner on that Sat, 8 Oct?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
That sounds good. I popped into the Blue Bar a couple months or so ago and the works were still going on with hallways blocked, etc. But still the service at the bar was impeccable.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:20 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Just to be clear - I have no problem with people going to Laucala and I am looking forward to reading an account of it and seeing photos.

I just wanted to remind people that Fiji is a country as well and that if you fly halfway round the world it might be worth a look, if you are able.

In my experience, I think maybe the only country not worth seeing but worth visiting for the resorts would be the Maldives.
Au contraire, if there is time, I do recommend doing the tour around Male. It's an interesting perspective. Interesting bit of history too to the country.

I wouldn't place it high on the list, but it's more to kill time.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:21 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
October 1-3: Aman-i-Khas
October 3-6: Amanbagh
October 6-8: TBC (possibly Lodhi)

Will anyone be around? Drop me a message if you are!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We are confirmed for The Ledbury on 7 Oct and Marcus on 8 Oct! Wowzers, we will miss each other by a night! If you're staying at the Berkeley, however, we could perhaps meet you in the bar for a drink or two before our dinner on that Sat, 8 Oct?
We'll likely be staying at The Connaught (unless of course, The Berkeley manages to do something amazing), but that's not even a 10 minute cab drive away, so consider it done. I'll PM you to organise the specifics.

Originally Posted by stimpy
That sounds good. I popped into the Blue Bar a couple months or so ago and the works were still going on with hallways blocked, etc. But still the service at the bar was impeccable.
As a non-drinker, saying it's my favourite bar in London would normally not count as a glowing reference, but I've been a regular visitor for the last 6 years and love it. The fact that I met my girlfriend there 5 years ago may somewhat bias my view of it.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:46 am

Coming up in August:
Park Hyatt, Sydney
Laucala
Langham, Sydney
Wolgan Valley
The rest of our year now confirmed. At the moment of paying a deposit, there is no going back and I'm committed to the plan. It's a moment of enjoyment at having planned and booked everything, but then boredom at nothing to plan. Onto 2017.

November:
  • Four Seasons, St. Petersburg
  • Four Seasons, Moscow

December:
  • Southern Ocean Lodge
  • Park Hyatt, Sydney
  • Amanpulo (for Christmas)
  • Upper House, Hong Kong
  • Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.