Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Originally Posted by stimpy
Great list and even though I live near Chambolle-Musigny I'd never heard of that Château Hôtel. Do let us know how you like it.
Will try to post my thoughts and comments or pics on FT; however, I'm doubtful that I'll have time to do a proper trip report. The plan was to stay at Hostellerie de Levernois but they're booked for the days we will be in the Côte d'or, Beaune and Dijon.

Do you have any thoughts, preferences as far as dining at Lameloise, Relais Bernard Loiseau, or Le Millésime?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Mr Strong - I hope you will post something about the Ch. de Bagnols, one of our favourite hotels which we haven't visited in a few years. I can't find out who owns/manages the property nowadays and I read some worrying things, such as the incredible interior courtyard has been glassed over which is extraordinary if true because of the building's architectural status. The restaurant lost its Michelin star some years back. Also, they may have added an indoor pool. Oh, room rates are now a third of what they were five years ago. Hope I'm not putting you off going!
I'll try to post some comments and/or pics of Château de Bagnols. I believe the new owner is Jean-Claude Lavorel.

Yes, interior courtyard has a glass roof. I'm not put off, though my expectations have been managed. I believe there are some new modern rooms and spa/pool. I'm surprised that rates were actually reasonable. Was in Bordeaux and St. Emilion in October 2011 so this October harvest will be Burgundy and Beaujolais followed by Bologna (and hopefully wait list reservations clear at Osteria Francescana in Modena).

BTW, I like your FT handle/name.

Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Mr. Strong
Do you have any thoughts, preferences as far as dining at Lameloise, Relais Bernard Loiseau, or Le Millésime?
Lameloise is the gold standard for fine Burgundy dining, but Bernard Loiseau is rather good as well. Never tried Le Millésime. My only warning for Lameloise is that like a grand master painting, you really need to appreciate the fine quality to enjoy it. If you have never been to Burgundy, maybe try one or two lesser restaurants before you go for the top.

If you have time to try something really interesting, http://www.lecharlemagne.fr/ is the best modern restaurant with a bit of Japanese fusion if you like.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:57 am

There are very recent reviews of Lameloise and Loiseau on Andy Hayler's website -

http://www.andyhayler.com

I rate Andy very highly. Personally, I've not been to Loiseau. The big drawback to Lameloise is the shocking plainness of the property. Stunning food, though.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Villa Kennedy
Amansara
PH Siem Reap
PH Saigon
Andaz Tokyo
Aman Tokyo

all in just over one week
(what can I say other than I enjoy hotel hopping ?)
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by xray
Villa Kennedy
Amansara
PH Siem Reap
PH Saigon
Andaz Tokyo
Aman Tokyo

all in just over one week
(what can I say other than I enjoy hotel hopping ?)
Fun travels! I too am a great fan of the hotel hopping. I've been to all of those in the last 10 months, except Villa Kennedy and Andaz Tokyo. My view (for what it's worth - not a lot) is Aman Tokyo is the best hotel from a hard product, whereas Amansara will offer the best service. PH Saigon offered the best food and PH Siem Reap offers...ok, I've got nothing, but it's still a nice hotel. Amansara is the only one I wouldn't stay in again, as I felt it was overpriced during peak time.

We're currently in Le Bristol and I agree with all the previous posters who said how great it is.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:49 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Fun travels! I too am a great fan of the hotel hopping. I've been to all of those in the last 10 months, except Villa Kennedy and Andaz Tokyo. My view (for what it's worth - not a lot) is Aman Tokyo is the best hotel from a hard product, whereas Amansara will offer the best service. PH Saigon offered the best food and PH Siem Reap offers...ok, I've got nothing, but it's still a nice hotel. Amansara is the only one I wouldn't stay in again, as I felt it was overpriced during peak time.
We had great food at PH Saigon, too, but we also had great food at PH Siem Reap while staying at Amansara. The tasting menu at PHSR was the best meal we had in town, actually. We toured the PHSR property and liked it a lot.

That being said, we absolutely loved Amansara across the board for our 5 night stay in late Jan 2014. Service, food & beverage, accommodations, facilities, all were spectacular despite being near full. The included excursions were also on your own schedule, and we often opted to depart not quite so early in mornings and a little earlier or later in afternoons and still managed to miss the big crowds. It was harder to arrange that at the PHSR from what I could tell--though they both sourced their excursions from the same local vendor.

Amansara was very expensive, indeed...but for us, it was totally worthwhile. If you don't require high service levels or don't demand much from a hotel, then I'd agree that other hotels may be more appropriate for the price point. But if you're looking for incredible service, Amansara is at the top of its game there.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Fun travels! I too am a great fan of the hotel hopping. I've been to all of those in the last 10 months, except Villa Kennedy and Andaz Tokyo.

We're currently in Le Bristol and I agree with all the previous posters who said how great it is.
How was Epicure?

Andaz Tokyo is definitely worth a visit for the French toast alone!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
How was Epicure?

Andaz Tokyo is definitely worth a visit for the French toast alone!
We only booked into 114, which I'd rate as ok, but the dessert (Gratinated pears with orange blossom, blackberry juice and sorbet) was absolutely amazing - I ended up having 2 of them. The hotel is very, very nice, but it was made nicer by the fact that 2 ex-Connaught staff were there, so it was great to see them again. I did feedback that I wasn't actually a fan of the food in the hotel, except all their pastries. Breakfast in particular was quite disappointing. I'd definitely go back though.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Amansara is the only one I wouldn't stay in again, as I felt it was overpriced during peak time.

That's why I mitigated any possible regret with both Amansara and PH... PH is a great value especially with DSU and it dilutes out the fact that paying $2k in Cambodia is a bit crazy (even for me).

Repeat visits for PH Saigon and Andaz Tokyo. I'm of Vietnamese descent so great food in VN is likely outside the hotel for me but will be interested to see renos.

As for Le Bristol, reviews sound great but my heart in Paris reste seulement avec le George V...

Fun starts today so looking forward...
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: Amanjunkie
December: Alpina Gstaad
January: Amanwella and Amangalla
May: Aman Tokyo and if opened Amanemu
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GK1998
December: Alpina Gstaad
January: Amanwella and Amangalla
May: Aman Tokyo and if opened Amanemu
A little earlier and you could see cherry blossoms?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Aventine
A little earlier and you could see cherry blossoms?

Unfortunately cannot leave earlier due to work
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:07 pm

Jumby Bay- November
Setai Miami- January
Four Seasons Orlando- January
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Asia's newest FS in Seoul in a few hours. Seen it on a walk through and time to stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.