Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel in Seoul

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
What a shame. I guess I spoke too soon because I have had very high expectations of FS. Hopefully they'll fix the F&B and other issues ASAP.
Believe me. I have a very high opinion of the FS way and this failed in pretty much every way. The building and hardware is impressive but the service levels don't match at all.

They need to go back to the drawing board for breakfast. No market leader with the highest rack rates in Seoul should be serving that pathetic Korean breakfast with parched fruit, mushy rice, little protein and tired looking side dishes.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:02 am

Oh no! Care to elaborate on service levels?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Believe me. I have a very high opinion of the FS way and this failed in pretty much every way. The building and hardware is impressive but the service levels don't match at all.

They need to go back to the drawing board for breakfast. No market leader with the highest rack rates in Seoul should be serving that pathetic Korean breakfast with parched fruit, mushy rice, little protein and tired looking side dishes.
It's good to hear that the building and hardware are impressive, since that would be much more difficult to change. If FS is smart, they should be following this thread and fix these problems ASAP.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:52 am

It's good to hear that the building and hardware are impressive, since that would be much more difficult to change. If FS is smart, they should be following this thread and fix these problems ASAP.
As Aventine and I know regarding Aman Tokyo, it doesn't seem as easy as it first appears to fix these as quickly as possible.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:51 am
Suspended

If FS is smart, they should be following this thread and fix these problems ASAP.
They don't need to read FlyerTalk, as both Aventine and myself 'reached out'... and, in my book, a comped stay is a good service recovery (it was SUCH a disaster).
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have a lot of feedback and now it's up to the GM and department heads to get it right. I won't be around to find out if they do.

Originally Posted by pricesquire
They don't need to read FlyerTalk, as both Aventine and myself 'reached out'... and, in my book, a comped stay is a good service recovery (it was SUCH a disaster).
This is the rare situation where I disagree. It was so bad that I would have wanted points too if the hotel had a loyalty program. The comped stay doesn't make up for 13 hours of sinus pressure, and a wasted Friday night/Saturday morning.

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
As Aventine and I know regarding Aman Tokyo, it doesn't seem as easy as it first appears to fix these as quickly as possible.
I'm actually really astonished that a career, 2nd generation hotelier let his hotel open like this. The in-room breakfasts can get better quickly but they should have been good from the start.

Two career Four Seasons men dropped the ball. There isn't even the excuse that they were outsiders like the Aman Tokyo GM.

Last edited by Aventine; Oct 10, 2015 at 8:28 am
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:24 am

Oh my. This is going to be one good trip report.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
They have a lot of feedback and now it's up to the GM and department heads to get it right. I won't be around to find out if they do.

This is the rare situation where I disagree. It was so bad that I would have wanted points too if the hotel had a loyalty program. The comped stay doesn't make up for 13 hours of sinus pressure, and a wasted Friday night/Saturday morning.

I'm actually really astonished that a career, 2nd generation hotelier let his hotel open like this. The in-room breakfasts can get better quickly but they should have been good from the start.

Two career Four Seasons men dropped the ball. There isn't even the excuse that they were outsiders like the Aman Tokyo GM.
This must have been a really awful experience. Maybe Four Seasons can still do something to make things right, even if you choose not to give this property another try.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've started writing up my thoughts here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...resorts-5.html

Figured best to keep all the Four Seasons stuff together in its own thread.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heaviest snow of the year so far here in Seoul. Don't expect to get to your hotel fast this morning.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Until Park Hyatt Seoul gets their main kitchen and Cornerstone replacement then I wouldn't recommend staying here. The lounge kitchen just can't cook very well. Without food to elevate it above its age and soundproofing problems.

You're better off at FS, Shilla or Conrad.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Slightly OT, but any recommendations for a few nights in Jeju? Based on some brief research the Shilla looks like the front-runner, followed by the Kensington.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Slightly OT, but any recommendations for a few nights in Jeju? Based on some brief research the Shilla looks like the front-runner, followed by the Kensington.
Shilla is the highest luxury option there. Kensington is something new. Looks good, decent from what I've seen on Instagram.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:24 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Question Best for noob tourist?

We will only be visiting in November but have started planning ahead (as that is at least half the fun!).

The FS looks ideally situated but I am worried about the rocky start and poor reviews the place has had. I'm also not entirely wowed by the décor tbh. Still, given the 3-for-2 rate available, a club room is very reasonably priced and the club looks super.

The Conrad is often cited as having good transport links that compensate for a rather off-target situation (for tourists). Would that be a good option - in a corner suite (at exactly the same price as the club room in the FS)?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:50 am

I think it's important to put the praises and criticisms in perspective/context, at least as far as my understanding goes:

As well as the usual Four Seasons brand standard that people have come to expect, FS is also pitched at being a contender for the Shilla's place as being "the" hotel in Seoul. Basically, the two are competing for the top spot in Seoul. Therefore, the criticisms are in that context - a Four Seasons with top-of-the-line rates trying to become the new favourite in the city. You would expect everything to be perfect in that context, and many of the highlighted complaints address the shortcomings from that viewpoint (although accepting that some of the issues Aventine experienced does sound more serious)

The Conrad is undoubtedly an excellent property, but it is not competing at the same level as the Shilla/FS. When people praise the Conrad as being a great hotel, I don't think they are looking at it from the same viewpoint as FS/Shilla - it is praised for being a good Conrad standard property in Asia, which is a lower threshold.

Moreover, as the Conrad belongs to HHonors, there will be a number of guests who are staying on points - purely based on my own experience, I tend to be more forgiving of a property when I'm not paying cold hard cash for the room, and if this is a shared trait, I would guess that some of the higher satisfaction at the Conrad may well come from this more generous yardstick.

All of this is not to excuse the reported issues at the FS - but perhaps a long-winded way of saying that I would still go for the Club level at FS if the extra space in the Conrad suite is not so essential. Location is very important in Seoul unless you want to deal with heavy traffic or crowded public transport, and in this regard, FS is far preferable to the Conrad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.