Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel in Seoul

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesn't the Park Hyatt have a (smallish but indoor) pool? If that meets your needs, it might be worth considering.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I am going in late August during the big holiday long weekend. Location-wise the best property is Ritz-Carlton. I am surprised that there seem to be no direct comments on this hotel even though there were several specific inquiries. Would appreciate any info.
It's not a Ritz Carlton that evokes memories of RC Tokyo, Hong Kong or other A-list RC properties. More Ritz Carlton in name alone.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Doesn't the Park Hyatt have a (smallish but indoor) pool? If that meets your needs, it might be worth considering.
I would not recommend the Park Hyatt based on its pool. I cannot speak to the other pools being considered as I have only stayed at the PH. However, the pool at the PH is very visible from the lobby area, so you are basically swimming 10 feet away from where someone is having afternoon tea or evening drinks. Plus, there are not a lot of seats/loungers by the pool to just relax.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I would not recommend the Park Hyatt based on its pool. I cannot speak to the other pools being considered as I have only stayed at the PH. However, the pool at the PH is very visible from the lobby area, so you are basically swimming 10 feet away from where someone is having afternoon tea or evening drinks. Plus, there are not a lot of seats/loungers by the pool to just relax.
One whole family could fill that pool. Agreed that it's not the best pool in Seoul for extended family lounging.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Westin Chosun (spelling?) has a large but older indoor pool. It's in a great location for tourist activities. It's large but nicer inside than the impression given by the 1970s style exterior, although don't forget the small historic temple on the hotel grounds. The place seems busy with Korean families on weekends, so much so that the lounge extends hours, has shifts, and permits the breakfast buffet downstairs.

A somewhat crazy idea is the GH at ICN. It has three indoor poolls, including one for kids, with lots of outdoor deck space near that one and the large one in the new building. There are two good lounges too. Korean familites apparently do come for weekend staycations. I'm not sure whether the monorail on the island is operating yet, but the frequent shuttle to the airport would make an excursion to downtown Seoul easy using the airport train/subway.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

A somewhat crazy idea is the GH at ICN. It has three indoor poolls, including one for kids, with lots of outdoor deck space near that one and the large one in the new building. There are two good lounges too. Korean familites apparently do come for weekend staycations. I'm not sure whether the monorail on the island is operating yet, but the frequent shuttle to the airport would make an excursion to downtown Seoul easy using the airport train/subway.
I had thought of recommending it to stargold too but it's so far away from the city. Not sure if he's going to be staying at a hotel or staying with his/her relatives in Seoul. I wouldn't want to be commuting back and forth from the airport to wherever in Seoul they live. You can get to transfer stations for many Seoul subway lines but not relaxing. You could drive but the traffic, gas and tolls start to add up and then more stress. Good luck stargold.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Anyone know about status of Four Seasons Seoul ? Is it still ontrack for fall 2015 ?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grumbler
Anyone know about status of Four Seasons Seoul ? Is it still ontrack for fall 2015 ?
Oct 1st opening. That's what I've heard.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Westin Chosun (spelling?) has a large but older indoor pool. It's in a great location for tourist activities. It's large but nicer inside than the impression given by the 1970s style exterior, although don't forget the small historic temple on the hotel grounds. The place seems busy with Korean families on weekends, so much so that the lounge extends hours, has shifts, and permits the breakfast buffet downstairs.

Thank you - I did consider it briefly, especially as it is so cheap on GP points, but I honestly couldn't see my family going for it, mainly due to the reason Aventine mentioned - too far and inconvenient for the type of break we are contemplating.

I am going to put SNAs on two rooms on points (and hence flexible) at the Westin and may take them if they clear, but the darned outdoor pool seems to be such a draw!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stargold
Thank you - I did consider it briefly, especially as it is so cheap on GP points, but I honestly couldn't see my family going for it, mainly due to the reason Aventine mentioned - too far and inconvenient for the type of break we are contemplating.

I am going to put SNAs on two rooms on points (and hence flexible) at the Westin and may take them if they clear, but the darned outdoor pool seems to be such a draw!
The only thing I don't like about Westin is the car traffic in Myeongdong. Can be impossible at times.

Breaking the hotels down for traffic ease of accessibility (surrounding area, driveway, prox. to highway) would be:

Best

Shilla, GH tied
Conrad
W hotel, Walker Hill

Worst
Sindorim D-cube Sheraton
Westin, Lotte
JW Marriott Seoul

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 14, 2015 at 10:30 pm
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Aventine
It's not a Ritz Carlton that evokes memories of RC Tokyo, Hong Kong or other A-list RC properties. More Ritz Carlton in name alone.
I see. Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I see. Thanks.
Sorry. I wish I had better news to give you about RC Seoul.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:38 am

However, it is also priced quite competitively as a result Think of it as a nice (but dated) Marriott, rather than "cream of the crop" as they are in the flagship cities.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stargold
However, it is also priced quite competitively as a result Think of it as a nice (but dated) Marriott, rather than "cream of the crop" as they are in the flagship cities.
Yes, but it's a mockery of the Ritz name. You always associate it with the best of the best but that one is...ok at best?

Rather be at the hippest Marriott in town in JW Marriott Dongdaemun. Not priced too badly either.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Plaza Hotel Thoughts?

Did a quick search of this thread and found only one old reference to the Plaza Hotel (across from City Hall). Any thoughts from those that have stayed there. It gets good reviews online. Is it actually a luxury hotel, in the same category as others discussed here? Looking at a club level room.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.