Best Hotel in Seoul

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
The only two criteria that matter in Seoul are:

(1) Proximity to top notch Korean food
(2) Washlet toilet seats after partaking in aforesaid Korean food.

I'm super fussy about luxury properties but am totally happy with Westin Chosun in Seoul. But they do have a cheaper version of Toto Washlet with small hot water tank so turns from warm to cold (esp in winter) after about 5 seconds of good tush spray. My only gripe.
haha
Never stay at JW Marriott Dongdaemun or W hotel then. Washlet less.

Shilla has Daerim, state of the art washlet toilets. The same used by Lotte hotel and GH Incheon. Wash and dry your butt 15 different ways (a mild exageration). Auto flush and lid too. Park Hyatt has an older Toto but it has the wireless panel. Works well enough too.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
Wash and dry your butt 15 different ways (a mild exageration).
SO happy I can call you my client
Old May 20, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pricesquire
SO happy I can call you my client
King of the Porcelain!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:30 am

Okay, in an attempt to guide the conversation away from the toilet talk...

I need to decide where to "staycation" with the family when I'm next back in Seoul in early August.

GH would normally be the default choice, simply because of my Diamond membership and the outdoor pool (which doesn't require ridiculous extra charges unlike Shilla and the W). However, I hesitate because:

- Ridiculously crowded all around during summer peak
- Underwhelming hard product (esp the shower-over-bath arrangement in standard rooms)
- Lounge unremarkable and basically a street market atmosphere during cocktail hour
- FHR amenity is buffet for two at The Terrace, which - if you trust the Korean bloggers - is the worst 5-star hotel buffet by a significant margin, so next to useless
- Other FHR benefits overlap with my Diamond benefits.

For the same price (shockingly), I can go to the Shilla, which I have not stayed at yet. But my thoughts are:

- Much, much nicer rooms
- Hopefully not quite as crowded as the GH
- FHR benefit is a more useful USD100 F&B credit per stay (though doesn't go far in that place!)
- However, no access to the outdoor pool with a FHR package (you have to book one of the local packages which includes access, but then no FHR benefits)

So...

1. Am I just hesitating over an obvious choice, or is there still an argument to be made for the GH?
2. Does anyone know the typical FHR/Virtuoso experience at the hotel?
3. Does an upgrade into any of the categories above Business Deluxe (which would normally include club access) actually provide club access? I only ask because some non-chain hotels with the nicer club lounges will always charge extra, even if you are upgraded into a room that would otherwise provide it.
4. Is the indoor pool still nice? Am I likely to be mourning the lack of access to the (admittedly amazing looking) outdoor pool?
5. Any other obvious choices that I should think about?

Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stargold
Okay, in an attempt to guide the conversation away from the toilet talk...

I need to decide where to "staycation" with the family when I'm next back in Seoul in early August.

GH would normally be the default choice, simply because of my Diamond membership and the outdoor pool (which doesn't require ridiculous extra charges unlike Shilla and the W). However, I hesitate because:

- Ridiculously crowded all around during summer peak
- Underwhelming hard product (esp the shower-over-bath arrangement in standard rooms)
- Lounge unremarkable and basically a street market atmosphere during cocktail hour
- FHR amenity is buffet for two at The Terrace, which - if you trust the Korean bloggers - is the worst 5-star hotel buffet by a significant margin, so next to useless
- Other FHR benefits overlap with my Diamond benefits.

All very good points. I would say the lounge is one of the poorer ones in Seoul. Both meal times are pretty bad and don't get me started on what they pass as scrambled eggs. Terrace is okay if it's free but it's not one of the top buffets in the city. Paris Grill brunch, however, is one of the top Sunday brunches in Seoul. Just no sushi and sashimi if you need that.

I would try to get the Executive corner room as a Diamond upgrade. They're not bad. Liveable and can put a roll away if need be. Much better than the Executive suite.

To be fair, every hotel in Seoul will be shockingly full due to MERS being effectively over and summer vacation, staycationers coming out of the woodwork. Same goes for most other top hotel lounges too.

For the same price (shockingly), I can go to the Shilla, which I have not stayed at yet. But my thoughts are:

- Much, much nicer rooms
- Hopefully not quite as crowded as the GH
- FHR benefit is a more useful USD100 F&B credit per stay (though doesn't go far in that place!)
- However, no access to the outdoor pool with a FHR package (you have to book one of the local packages which includes access, but then no FHR benefits)

-Probably as crowded as GH Seoul. This is the Chaebol, Gangnam rich people hangout.
- F&B credit can barely buy you a hamburger a la carte and won't even cover a Park view buffet for one
- The rooms were redone but remind me of Lotte hotel's rooms. Maybe even the same designers. They also don't feel luxurious for the price. Bathroom amenities are Molton Brown!

So...

1. Am I just hesitating over an obvious choice, or is there still an argument to be made for the GH?
I'm treated very well at Grand Hyatt and have an excellent corp. rate but I don't need either pools and never bother to use the lounge for meals.
2. Does anyone know the typical FHR/Virtuoso experience at the hotel?
Only PH Seoul is in the Virtuoso family. I never looked up FHR for GH Seoul.
3. Does an upgrade into any of the categories above Business Deluxe (which would normally include club access) actually provide club access? I only ask because some non-chain hotels with the nicer club lounges will always charge extra, even if you are upgraded into a room that would otherwise provide it.
If you're in an Executive room at Shilla then you'll probably be granted lounge access. I didn't have to pay for access on my last stay.

4. Is the indoor pool still nice? Am I likely to be mourning the lack of access to the (admittedly amazing looking) outdoor pool?
Indoor pool at GH Seoul is okay but will be busy too with little kids.
5. Any other obvious choices that I should think about?
- JW Marriott Dongdaemun isn't too bad. Excellent F&B and decent Lounge. One of the nicer and newer indoor pools in Seoul. Lounge has never been that bad when I was there but they slowly began cutting quantity and quality last year. Haven't been back since!

- Conrad but the pool is also a problem there. You get an hour and have to make a reservation. Lounge is very, very nice but will get overrun by the usual staycationers too.

Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:47 am

Thanks for the very helpful comments. But look what you've done - I've gone back to thinking about the GH! I just assumed the Shilla would get a more enthusiastic response.

I think the Executive corner rooms you're talking about are listed as Grand Deluxe rooms with mountain view? If so, I might as well just book it from the beginning as GH seems to be Diamond Central and I don't want to count on an upgrade. It's a pretty marginal rate difference.

Otherwise, I am also seriously considering booking the PH instead - any thoughts? I've only had breakfast there which I was impressed with, but unfamiliar with the rooms/facilities.

(Everything would be so much easier if I can just drag the whole family down out of the country, but they don't want to go far so I am stuck with the assortment of the mediocre offerings in Seoul )
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the very helpful comments. But look what you've done - I've gone back to thinking about the GH! I just assumed the Shilla would get a more enthusiastic response.
You should try Shilla. My Shilla and GH experiences are my own and not always replicable, right? What I know that's good and cool about Shilla.

- Parkview is still one of the top buffets in Seoul for any meal. Breakfast, lunch, brunch or dinner.
- they've got Samsung SMARTtvs and great HD channels. They even use it to welcome you to the hotel and more.
- the urban oasis thing is supposed to be very nice. Not as spacious as GH's outdoor pool but definitely one of the shiny new improvements there.
- their contemporary Korean restaurant is in Asia's top 20 from the San Pellegrino folks.
- the shuttle bus service is always courteous, prompt and free but sounds like you have cars.
- More street cred with your Korean family than Hyatt, if money isn't an issue and room cost is similar? Shilla is the ultimate Korean luxury hotel, bar none.

I think the Executive corner rooms you're talking about are listed as Grand Deluxe rooms with mountain view? If so, I might as well just book it from the beginning as GH seems to be Diamond Central and I don't want to count on an upgrade. It's a pretty marginal rate difference.
Yup. Grand Deluxe King rooms. I just call them by their former name (old habits die hard). They come with a mountain or pool and Han gang river view.

Otherwise, I am also seriously considering booking the PH instead - any thoughts? I've only had breakfast there which I was impressed with, but unfamiliar with the rooms/facilities.
I usually stay at GH for work related reasons so going to Gangnam and COEX would be a traffic hell for me. I also hate that they have no self parking and charge you 30,000 won to park your car outside in a public lot (my own quibble). Cornerstone is a fine restaurant for breakfast and brunch. The rooms there are aging but comfortable. The pool there is quite small and the changing room is shared with the athletic and spa facilities. Can get crowded.

How about Park Hyatt Busan? That's a helluva nice hotel if you could get them down to Busan for delicious Busan hanwoo galbi and Haeundae! Every room is spacious, even the base ones. Consider the possibility .
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This post from the GH thread in the Hyatt forum might interest you stargold: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25004394-post202.html
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:29 am

Thanks once again for the useful bits of information which is very informative, although I seem to be no closer to a decision

I have seen the summer pool policy - the concept of having to choose between date of check-in and date of check-out for using the outdoor pool seems ridiculous, but I know just how crowded it gets so I can't blame them.

Ultimately it seems to be my decision between GH because family keen on the outdoor pool (and I can't really justify the cost of Urban Island at Shilla), or better overall product at Shilla but no access to an outdoor pool. If I can establish that FHR upgrade includes club access, it would sway things further in its favour, but not sure about this.

PS. I just realised I would feel utterly gutted if I went for GH and it rained
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks once again for the useful bits of information which is very informative, although I seem to be no closer to a decision

I have seen the summer pool policy - the concept of having to choose between date of check-in and date of check-out for using the outdoor pool seems ridiculous, but I know just how crowded it gets so I can't blame them.

Ultimately it seems to be my decision between GH because family keen on the outdoor pool (and I can't really justify the cost of Urban Island at Shilla), or better overall product at Shilla but no access to an outdoor pool. If I can establish that FHR upgrade includes club access, it would sway things further in its favour, but not sure about this.

PS. I just realised I would feel utterly gutted if I went for GH and it rained
Monsoon season, hence, it is very likely to happen in August. Conrad Seoul's policy is equally dumb too. One hour during your stay, that's it AND they charge for fitness center and spa usage.

What sways me about GH vs. Shilla if money is relative is the humanity at GH Seoul. The Shilla staff feel like robots. At least the Bell men and Grand club staff have some sort of jovial interaction but Shilla's staff are like Korean Air flight attendants - prim, proper but kind of soul-less. They do their jobs with a certain sense of superiority since they work at Samsung owned Shilla hotel. At least as a Diamond and frequent guest, the staff know me at GH and do their best for me. Shilla, I was just another 2 day weekend guest.

The Shilla GM didn't really give me time of day when my Executive room flooded with a clogged drain. Just cursory apologies (in Hangul) and a free hotel car ride to PH. I was livid and still really haven't forgotten that. I guess I shouldn't expect him to speak English but you would think Lee Boo Jin would pick a bilingual (partially?) Korean ajeoshi to be her GM.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what about banyan tree?

do any seoul hotel pools not sell memberships?

great details Aventine including your posts in linked thread

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 13, 2015 at 10:58 am
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
what about banyan tree?
At USD 7k per room for my dates... ever so slightly priced out
lotte indoor pool can be open air?
http://www.lottehotel.com/seoul/en/f...?type=FS&seq=3
But did you also see the generous size of the pool, at 8m x 14m?
are there any seoul hotel pools that do not sell memberships?
I think all Seoul luxury hotels sell fitness club memberships, which in turn give access to the pool, so I doubt it.
great details Aventine including your posts in linked thread
Very helpful indeed - and I'm quite convinced he actually lives at GH SEL and PH PUS
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so BT only showing presidential online. if you contact hotel, availability may be different.

when does new four seasons open? September?
http://www.fourseasons.com/seoul/ser...cilities/pool/

edit - what are member crowds like at banyan tree? has outdoor pool.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 13, 2015 at 11:40 am
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At USD 7k per room for my dates... ever so slightly priced out
But did you also see the generous size of the pool, at 8m x 14m? I think all Seoul luxury hotels sell fitness club memberships, which in turn give access to the pool, so I doubt it.Very helpful indeed - and I'm quite convinced he actually lives at GH SEL and PH PUS
Ahh, Banyan Tree Seoul. The hotel with pools in the rooms. Might as well pick your zoo! I'd rather be at Shilla than Banyan Tree if I had to be in Jangchung-dong.

Why not consider JW Marriott Dongdaemun? No outdoor pool?

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so BT only showing presidential online. if you contact hotel, availability may be different.

when does new four seasons open? September?
http://www.fourseasons.com/seoul/ser...cilities/pool/
Late September to early October and it's another membership based fitness and spa as well.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Ritz-Carlton in Seoul

I am going in late August during the big holiday long weekend. Location-wise the best property is Ritz-Carlton. I am surprised that there seem to be no direct comments on this hotel even though there were several specific inquiries. Would appreciate any info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.