Search

Trip Report: Twin Farms - Barnard, VT

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:20 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Trip Report: Twin Farms - Barnard, VT

We just returned from a spur-of-the-moment, one night trip to Twin Farms in Barnard, Vermont where we celebrated a milestone birthday. We enlisted the help of DavidO who was able to combine the TF Spring into Summer promotion (two 60 minute massages) with the Virtuoso amenities (bottle of Dom, artisanal chocolates, and an upgrade).

I’ll admit to being a little worried at first. The Twin Farms nightly rate is high (+27% tax and service) and I usually feel better about spending that kind of money when I’ve had time to carefully plan and consider the options. But the positive reviews on this board were too strong to ignore and the resort is, after all, all-inclusive. So we packed up the car and off we went – no airline award travel this time!

Our overall experience was fantastic. Right up there with most of our Aman stays. When we pulled up the first morning, we were greeted by name, told our room was almost ready and given a tour. They knew we were considering a picnic and helped us plan a hike, the menu and location. Every question or request was followed through on, and we later received an email from the GM, Michael Beardsley, in response to a question we had asked him at dinner. Service, service, service.

Twin Farms booked us into The Barn which is an absolutely beautiful cottage with a two-story picture window, a massive stone fireplace, bleached-pine paneling, enormous modern bathroom, and a loft/office. The barn theme and attention to detail is really amazing….the hand-painted designs on the walls, the original artwork….I could go on and on. Mr. Ericka was particularly impressed with the birch firewood and the resulting roaring, crackling fires.

Our one dinner was very special with a romantic fireplace on either side of the dining room. Thanks to a food likes/dislikes form they sent in advance of our arrival, they knew our food preferences which came in handy as there were no menus. I have especially good memories of the local Fable Farm produce, the lovely presentation, the Flowers Chardonnay, the Silver Oak Cab, etc. Foodies must love this place.

A little hiking, a little fishing, a little biking and some shopping for Vermont cheese and it was quickly time to come home. Because we live so close by, we didn’t explore the local area (we’ve done it all before) but anyone considering a stay at this property should leave time to visit the quintessential New England town of Woodstock, the Marsh Billings Rockefeller Farm, and hike the old carriage trails.

During our stay at Twin Farms, we never signed for anything and haven’t seen a bill yet (it’s in the mail). It feels like we were just visiting some friends at their country estate. Nice.

Am I missing anything, zigzag?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Main house

Picnic with a view

Making friends all over

The Barn cottage

The Barn bathroom

Sunflower

Vermont = cheese
Old Sep 12, 2009, 1:27 pm

Not a thing Ericka, you make me feel like such a slacker! I have to get to writing my review this weekend, which will be glowing!!!
Old Sep 12, 2009, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great pics as usual. also nice work including 2 specific wineries to give an idea of value. ^

look forward to the next report zigzag.

i wish at least one of the all-inclusives had twin beds.

blackberry does, but has been replaced by triple creek value-wise, and there travel time is a negative.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great pics as usual. also nice work including 2 specific wineries to give an idea of value. ^

blackberry does, but has been replaced by triple creek value-wise, and there travel time is a negative.
Kage, will Twin Farms or other good all-inclusives not re-set the room to twin beds if you so desire?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC called all 3 and asked about twin beds and was told they dont have any accommodations with them. twin farms has some with daybeds.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 13, 2009 at 7:02 am
Old Sep 12, 2009, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

There are plenty of places to "find" other beds in these accomodations. The Barn cottage had various rooms with sofas (maybe they fold out???) and our loft/office would have worked well with a rollaway if that sofa doesn't fold out to a bed.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dont remember if any of them allow kids when its not exclusive-use, but that would be the only time i would really do that kind of thing. (personally, at those rates.)

unless they allowed 4 people to a room or something, at a discount..

(btw sorry for offtopic)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 12, 2009 at 6:25 pm
Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:59 pm

Not true! The Orchard Cottage and Meadow Cottage can be made up for two twin beds upon your request.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmm, good to know, thanks. ^ $1335 after 3rd nt free. odd IIRC they said they only had a daybed in one of the cottages.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:23 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Thanks for your review! I love your pictures!
It does look like a wonderful place!

Were there many guests when you visited?
Old Sep 13, 2009, 5:28 am
Original Poster

They were at about 50% capacity the night we were there.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club

While I didn't see any twin beds at Triple Creek, if you book a non-peak date via Virtuoso they will guarantee you an upgrade to a 2-bedroom at the time of booking (you might have to specifically ask). That way you have 2 kings plus 2 couches that can easily accommodate a person each.

Can't speak for Blackberry or Twin Farms, but Triple Creek bent over backwards to accommodate us in every way, shape, and form. I imagine any of these places would do the same.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trojanman
While I didn't see any twin beds at Triple Creek, if you book a non-peak date via Virtuoso they will guarantee you an upgrade to a 2-bedroom at the time of booking (you might have to specifically ask).
seriously? $650 > $1095?

$650 - twin - baker / boulder
$1095+ - 2BR - capitan / sapphire / paradise / aspen
($2495+ - 3BR - ponderosa)

btw perhaps the mods can split the thread, as i didnt mean for it to go off on this bedding tangent.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 13, 2009 at 1:31 pm
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
seriously? $650 > $1095?

$650 - twin - baker / boulder
$1095+ - 2BR - capitan / sapphire / paradise / aspen
($2495+ - 3BR - ponderosa)

btw perhaps the mods can split the thread, as i didnt mean for it to go off on this bedding tangent.
Yup. Remember I listed the caveat of during non-peak season and with the personal call of your virtuoso agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.