FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
List of Higher End Munich Hotels in Alphabetical Order
  • Bayerischer Hof
  • Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten
  • Mandarin Oriental
  • Sofitel Bayerpost
  • The Charles Hotel

but I, RichardInSF (not speaking as mod), think it's pretty darn clear that the MO and Charles are a step above the other three.
Print Wikipost

Munich Hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Just curious: Does anyone have an opinion on the Hotel München Palace?

It's probably not quite in the same league as the Charles, MO or Bayrischer Hof.

That being said, it looks like a very solid small / boutique hotel, though I've never actually stayed there.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bearbrick
If it's just to catch up with sleep and only for a night why not just opt for Aloft Munich instead ? - directly across one of the " main " entrances of the HauptBF Munich.
Airport to HBF across the zebra crossing and you're at the front entrance !

The food within the station is good and with variety.
The hotel is new enough and service is what you'll need .

Just a thought .
This being the luxury hotel forum, folks tend not to ask here if something like this is their intention. Especially since the Charles is just a short walk away.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009

It's probably not quite in the same league as the Charles, MO or Bayrischer Hof.

That being said, it looks like a very solid small / boutique hotel, though I've never actually stayed there.
Let me make my feelings on the Bayerischer Hof very clear. I stayed once and will never stay again. Room was absolutely terrible in every possible way and that was true of all three rooms I saw -- I made them switch me twice because of defects in the first two rooms. I probably should have moved a third time but they finally wore me out and everything in the third room at least worked properly.

This hotel should never be mentioned in the same sentence as the MO and the Charles.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: LH/BA/DL
I agree regarding the Charles. Stayed there again last months and it is the only one of the handfull of luxury hotels in Munich I will consider. Especially if you do not like "old world formal" (with an emphasis on "old" in the case of Kempinski and Bayerischer Hof), the Charles is your best option. Rates are usually very competitive and the Charles is also available through FHR. The three room categories offer identical rooms and just differ in location and view. The hotel's location may seem just a little out of the way, but that is not really the case as Munich downtown area is quite small and everything is walkable.

I have never stayed at the Sofitel, but its location is quite odd and the immediate surroundings not so nice (unless you want to be close to the main station or Oktoberfest).

In my opinion the MO is not worth any premium over the Charles.

There are a number of smaller "boutique style" hotels which might be an option (Louis, Cortina). However, most of the time they are quite expensive for what they offer.

Last edited by Greg45; Apr 18, 2017 at 4:20 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent

Your take on the Palace is spot on. I've stayed there a couple of times and it was always pleasant. It's not a luxury hotel, which is also reflected in the very reasonable rates. Location can be an issue depending on where you need to be in Munich, but other than that I can recommend this hotel.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Thanks to everyone for the comments and thoughts on my questions from a couple of days back. It sounds like the Charles is the closest to what I'm looking for. I do need to familiarize myself with the various location options.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Let me make my feelings on the Bayerischer Hof very clear. I stayed once and will never stay again. Room was absolutely terrible in every possible way and that was true of all three rooms I saw -- I made them switch me twice because of defects in the first two rooms. I probably should have moved a third time but they finally wore me out and everything in the third room at least worked properly.

This hotel should never be mentioned in the same sentence as the MO and the Charles.

Well they should have some better rooms and suites also (for sure for the stars who stay there, or the politicians who participate at the yearly Security Conference) but I fully agree with you that the hotel could need some renovation, also the public spaces and the atrium. Beside the prime location many dining options and the jazz bar, blue bar, roof top bar and best reputation do speak for the hotel.

Munich needs IMHO some more luxury hotels, the market is kind of frozen. Mrs. Schörghuber whose Arabella company *) bought the former Hypo Bank building in the back of Bayerischer Hof some time ago was planning a luxury boutique hotel, which led to some controversy with the owner lady of Bayerischer Hof about the right to build a hotel there, and no progess yet. Former Residenzpost at Maximilianstraße opposite Residenz/Opera should have been converted to a luxury hotel (IC?) many years ago, got no approval by Munich Monuments Office.

A Park Hyatt and a St. Regis, an IC at least and such brands are missing, to wake up the top dogs and break up the stagnant structures and bring some fresh air to the hotel market in Munich. The Charles was a good step in that direction, Andaz (coming this or next year) also not a bad one.

EDIT / CORRECTION:

*) Schörghuber´s "Bayerische Hausbau" real estate company is owner of the Hypo building.

EDIT2 / CORRECTION:

The family´s Arabella Hospitality is owner or tenant of around 20 hotels in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Mallorca.

Starwood performs the operative management work for the bulk of the establishments belonging to the Arabella Hospitality, as Arabella Hospitality´s website tells us.
http://www.sug-munich.com/en/business-units/hotels.html
There are several handlings such as franchise, lease, management usual in Germany, Austria and elsewhere for the different Starwoods brands.

Last edited by submonte; Apr 21, 2017 at 2:24 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Sofitel Bayerpost got World Luxury Hotel Award

Not the newest news but still not posted here yet. The hotel got it end of last year in the category "Luxury Contemporary/Stylish Hotel" - Country winner Germany 2016.

https://luxuryhotelawards.com/hotel/...ich-bayerpost/

The other two German country winner were Herrenhaus Gut Bliestorf (Luxury Guest House) and Schlosshotel Kronberg (Luxury Cultural Retreat).

Luxury Hotel Project postponed - Pop-up-Hotel Interim tenant

"Outside like the Ritz in Paris, inside like Andy Warhol's Factory in New York and a great dash of Munich: The unusual pop-up Hotel Lovelace wants to combine all this. From May there should be something going on for two years every day - not just as an accommodation, there is a colorful program of culture, art and commerce. Actually, a luxury hotel should be built in the building, as there were legal problems, the Lovelace now is interim tenant for two years.

The luxury hotel, planned by Bayerische Hausbau, to move into the former and listed Hypovereinsbank building, met with resistance. Innegrit Volkhardt, Managing Partner of the Hotel Bayerischer Hof in Munich, is one of the neighbors who filed appeals against the plans. She complains about the lack of infrastructure and wishes that a traffic planner as well as the neighbors are involved."

http://www.tophotel.de/20-news/8871-...htsstreit.html

Hugendubel hosts a luxury boutique hotel on two floors after renovation

Geisel Privathotels (Hotel Königshof and others) opens a boutique hotel "BEYOND by Geisel" with around 30 rooms and suites on the two top floors of famous bookstore Hugendubel am Marienplatz after owner Bayerische Hausbau has finished renovations 2018.

https://www.beyond-muc.de/en
https://www.geisel-privathotels.de/en.html

Bulding and Location at Marienplatz opposite Rathaus:
http://www.muenchen.de/aktuell/2017-02/hugendubel-feiert-bis-herbst-2018-zwei-eroeffnungen-in-muenchen.html

Boris Becker lived in that hotel a longer time after his divorce.

The hotel is located in Munich´s noble quarter Bogenhausen, a high class living area with some good dining options, at reputated Prinzgegentenstrasse which leads you from "Mittlerer Ring / B2R" via Friedensengel and Englischer Garten directly to the city center.

Opposite the hotel on the other side of Prinzregentenstrasse you find Käfer Restaurant, Bistro and Gourmet Shop, where local and international people shop, dine and meet (and normal ones like me sometimes buy some French or Italian cheese and wine ).

If you turn right at the hotel´s corner with Prinzregentenstrasse you walk some steps to Prinzregentenstadium and famous Prinzregententheater, if you go left you see the Peace Angel (Friedensengel).

Turning right from main entrance at Trogerstrasse and you will arrive at University Hospital "Rechts der Isar" after a few minutes and further at Wiener Platz with some nice pubs and bistros, or at Maximilianeum (Bavarian Parliament).

I would not exclude Palace Hotel as choice for a luxury hotel in Munich. I think many guests have relations to someone in Bogenhausen quarter which is not a bad sign. Many people there live in luxury. It is not Grand or typical Boutique, it is maybe more cosy luxurious, local style, intim.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 21, 2017 at 8:11 pm Reason: consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks for the excellent descripton, submonte!^
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:44 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
It's good to be informed, thanks Submonte for your insights/updates on the Munich luxury hotel scene. ^

The Beyond by Geisel sounds/looks/feels indeed most fascinating.

Please see:

https://www.beyond-muc.de/en

Equally interesting is getting to know the Hotel München Palace. Again, thanks!

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Funny award - next MC Donalds gets a Michelin star
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:21 am

I also stayed at The Charles very recently and can recommend the hotel. Rooms are spacious and well-maintained. Service was superb. Location is near the train station, so maybe a EUR 9 Uber ride to center of town; and perfectly walkable to town too. I stopped by Mandarin Oriental for dinner at the Japanese restaurant (very mixed; some dishes were excellent; others too salty and were returned almost untouchced). Mandarin Oriental patrons and vibe were much more bling bling compared to The Charles. Location superior. Don't think it's worth twice the room rate of The Charles.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by simpletastes
I stopped by Mandarin Oriental for dinner at the Japanese restaurant (very mixed; some dishes were excellent; others too salty and were returned almost untouchced).
Same experience two weeks ago.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by simpletastes
Don't think it's worth twice the room rate of The Charles.
That's excactly the point. If you consider value the Charles is mostly the better choice.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:38 pm

Visited MO again recently for an afternoon and was very pleased with the service this time around.

Mind you they knew I was coming but things were much better compared to my lunch experiences in January. They currently offer a Jimmy Choo Afternoon Tea in The Lounge -- worth a try. The teas are exceptional and while the set is decidedly a modern interpretation, the fare is light and balanced. The mignardises were okay, the Cappuccino is a strong contender for Aventine's coffee thread -- as it is amongst the best I know in a hotel. Best of all though, the little touches were there and the team was attentive throughout. The Lounge is a lovely spot to resort to after shopping or meetings, for it is so calm and protected from the lobby. Must return to Bar31 one of these days to see if the situation is equally improved there. It also seems as though they do not take their PR and comments lightly.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by scented

Mind you they knew I was coming .
Why would they know you were coming ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.