Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotel reviews in London

Luxury hotel reviews in London

Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Platinum
I would have to add that The Berkeley also now boasts the only retractable rooftop hotel pool in London; it is simply incredible, perhaps even better than it sounds! Also, the Blue Bar is definitely one to check out!

I concur with David's views on the Dorchester, a fine, fine property. It was there that I shared the hotel's (very) modest gym with the crown prince of Brunei (fitness fanatic my god). Yet, whilst you hear utterances of the fame of those staying there and the occasional group of extremely large gentlemen with earpieces in the lobby, the service remains extremely personal and is in not way negatively affected by the demands of other clientele. Also, the bar at the front is great, the one at the back could do with some refurbishment of both the bar and the clientele (mainly the latter...seems to be a problem across the board as the MO could use with one as well).

Finally, I'd have to add one to the small boutique hotel category, The Duke's. Located right off St James this hotel is fabulous. The concierge and reception staff are simply the best at aiding you with all your queries and requests. The Duke's is nicely tucked away down one of London's narrowest streets (don't worry not a problem as it just opens up into a courtyard). The layout of the hotel is slightly strange as it is a mishmash of extremely old townhouses. The Duke's also can lay claim to one of the best martinis in the world. Their martini (and cocktail) bar is truly world class and was reportedly where Ian Fleming came up with the idea for the original Vesper (from the book, not the movie). All in all it is truly a classy establishment that allows for the best of stays be it for business or for pleasure. For those who appreciate a bit of quirky info, Princess Di used to also *ahem* frequent here, weekly afternoons off, I do believe.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:39 am

I had booked rooms at Bvlgari London but I am now hesitating.

Since FS Park Lane reopened we stayed several times there and despite some issues with Reception Front Desk we love this hotel. We have received nice upgrades, we enjoy the 4pm late check-out (thanks to FHR), service is great, we have no reason to change.

But swimming pool at Bvlgari is a gem, and the location is very good. Pricewise, it is very expensive, especially for a hotel opened for less than 3 months.

I can't decide!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cdric

Since FS Park Lane reopened we stayed several times there and despite some issues with Reception Front Desk we love this hotel. We have received nice upgrades, we enjoy the 4pm late check-out (thanks to FHR), service is great, we have no reason to change.

But swimming pool at Bvlgari is a gem, and the location is very good. Pricewise, it is very expensive, especially for a hotel opened for less than 3 months.

I can't decide!
Hmm.. 1 km away from the FS so location is a wash- I would stay with Four Seasons personally.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:44 am

I can't decide!
Though it's the Daily Mail, this recent review of the Bulgari is interesting.. and they call it Vulgari .
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-Bulgari.html
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVP
Just booked one night at 45 Park Lane for our last night of our honeymoon on the way back from the Maldives in Nov. Looks impressive and DavidO's review is what sealed it.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:36 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincentb89
Though it's the Daily Mail, this recent review of the Bulgari is interesting.. and they call it Vulgari .
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-Bulgari.html
Interesting, because my UK friends call the newspaper which reviewed the hotel "The Daily Fail!"

I don't know if the review is right or wrong. At the very least, though, it is factually incorrect when it says Bulgari has a hotel in Tokyo. If something that simple isn't fact-checked, what does that say about the rest?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Talk of 'foreigners not paying taxes' in a hotel review - typical crap, hate-filled article from the Daily Mail. This and the Daily Express get my votes as our countries worst papers and his awful article demonstrates why.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Talk of 'foreigners not paying taxes' in a hotel review - typical crap, hate-filled article from the Daily Mail. This and the Daily Express get my votes as our countries worst papers and his awful article demonstrates why.
Totally agree about the Daily Mail, but when you compare this review of Bulgari London with the reviews on this board about the Bulgari Milan ( style over substance, beautiful but clueless employees, horribly expensive F&B ), you'll find similarities
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidO
The Bulgari London is a brand new build scheduled to open on May 28. The third hotel to have this brand (others being Milan and Bali, with a new announcement anticipated shortly), it was planned by the same team that designs Bulgari hand bags and jewelry. There are trademark Bulgari details throughout the property.

I was struck by the materials chosen for the interior design of the hotel. Extensive use is made of mahogany wood throughout the property in the hardwood flooring, solid doors, and hand-varnished wall paneling (and the left over mahogany was used to carve solid wooden clothes hangers). Other design materials include reflective chrome, leather, polished stainless steel, silver mesh screens, and black granite tiles.

Rooms are very large. Lead-in Superior rooms begin at 467 square feet; they like a typical Deluxe rooms. Deluxe rooms start at 479 square feet, and the Executive category at 490 square feet. Room design is simple and uncluttered - cool and soothing, classic contemporary design with browns, beiges, silver, and white. Even though the hotel is in noisy Knightsbridge, windows provide effective soundproofing.

Bathrooms have been finished in black marble with white veins, all carved from a single block of Manquina marble imported from Spain. All bathrooms have soaking tubs and rain showers, although some odd design choices were made. (1) Showers in some room categories are in the same glass enclosure with the soaking tub. (2) Shower floors are wooden slats, rather than tile or marble. (3) Bathroom doors in some room categories are the previously mentioned silver mesh screens enclosed in glass - attractive, but they do not block light. As a consequence, an early riser who wants to take a shower cannot avoid disturbing a still sleeping companion.

Designers have given Incredible attention to some details. Luggage racks are custom made from black leather with Bulgari branding. Minibars are set within a Bulgari steamer trunk with a Rosewood interior. The casing of the flat screen TVs are custom designed, as we're the exercise machines in the gym. The half Olympic sized pool has a mosaic of gold and emerald colored mosaic tiles with pool cabanas for guests (although the room is too warm and humid to want to sit by an indoor pool). The vitality pool (very large jacuzzi) is lined with silver mosaic tiles. The hotel has a 47 seat theatre with the largest and highest resolution (4K) screen of any hotel cinema in the UK, and there is a library of 500 movies that guests can access from their in-room television system.

The Bulgari London is unique in its incredible attention to detail and the lavishness of the hotel's design, yet the intention is to price lead-in rooms competitively with other luxury hotels in London. This property may not be for for everyone, but the Bulgari is definitely an option to consider if you enjoy experiencing iconoclastic hotel products.
We are staying at FSPL but we went to Bvlgari this morning to have a look at facilities & rooms. We were welcomed by the Sales Manager and were shown:
- the swimming-pool (best city hotel pool I have ever seen),
- the gym (with a full-time trainer and Technogym equipment, one part of the gym can be made private),
- the spa (several spa rooms and one spa suite which is extraordinary, with a fireplace and everything you can expect - ESPA treatments),
- private cinema (400GBP per hour)
- ballroom & some smaller venues for private parties (from 9 to 140 people),
- bar / library / restaurant,
- entry level room (larger than FSPL rooms but no view, bathrooms are great with separate toilets & bidet),
- suite Bvlgari 1 (sitting-room, dining room, kitchen, office, bedroom and fantastic bathroom with a stand alone bathtub and a lot of natural day light / no terrace, only 2 of the 7 top suites have a terrace).

She spent more than one hour with us, it was very nice and you can already expect that with 85 rooms & suites only the service shall be excellent.

We had lunch in their Italian restaurant. Food was really good and selection of wine by the glass ok. They opened this week only so we excpected may be some glitches but everything went smoothly.

As DavidO said you can see they put a lot of money in the material selection. Everything is really beautiful. FSPL is probably warmer but Bvlgari is a great challenger and their pool is a fantastic asset.

We will come back in London in October, I think we will try to stay there!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: UA GS/2MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Haven't seen it mentioned here, but I recommend the Halkin, in Belgravia. It's a LHW property, if I recall - small property, understated traditional exterior, modern-but-not-stark interior (corridors look a lot like those on the Death Star, actually), extremely comfortable. Spacious, very well-appointed rooms with extensive but subtle technology touches, and a Michelin-starred Thai restaurant. Quiet location near Belgrave Square, Green Park, Hyde Park, and (the service entrance to) Buckingham Palace.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:46 pm
In memoriam

Any Suggestions?

Perhaps I'm losing my mind. But I'm exchanging email with a friend in London. And he says January/February/March are great months to dine there. OTOH - the weather looks really grim. On the third hand - there are great BF FF deals on Delta to LHR.

Anyway - I am thinking about it. Which of the hotels mentioned would be best for a winter stay? Basically - a place where the rooms are somewhat cozy - the heat works well - the plumbing can deliver instant hot showers in a shower (not a tub that serves as a shower) - and there is perhaps a fireplace in a public area. I haven't been in winter weather for a really long time - and wouldn't care to fiddle with rooms where I have to fight the cold. Robyn
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by robyng
Perhaps I'm losing my mind. But I'm exchanging email with a friend in London. And he says January/February/March are great months to dine there. OTOH - the weather looks really grim. On the third hand - there are great BF FF deals on Delta to LHR.

Anyway - I am thinking about it. Which of the hotels mentioned would be best for a winter stay? Basically - a place where the rooms are somewhat cozy - the heat works well - the plumbing can deliver instant hot showers in a shower (not a tub that serves as a shower) - and there is perhaps a fireplace in a public area. I haven't been in winter weather for a really long time - and wouldn't care to fiddle with rooms where I have to fight the cold. Robyn
I think London is a great city during the cold -- so many cozy interiors of restaurants, so many great museums, performances, etc.

Given your desire for rooms that are "somewhat cozy" with perhaps a fireplace in a public area, I'd recommend:

The Savoy: because unlike many of the 5-stars in London, the bathrooms have radiant floor heating, and I think the rooms are incredibly comfortable and beautifully designed -- very of the place, yet high spec and in superbly renovated good shape. There's no spa, so that's a distinct minus if that's a priority for this trip.

Covent Garden Hotel: There's a very cozy set of public rooms one floor above ground level, where there will definitely be fires burning and big comfortable sofas to sink into. I love the room design, but find the bathrooms clinical and unappealing (personal taste).

I have not stayed at the Draycott, but most of the suites there have their own fireplaces, and I believe the Goring also may be aligned with what you're seeking. Some others that seem like what you may be seeking: the Milestone (the lounge there has an open fireplace), and Hotel 41.

Hotels that would definitely NOT fit your description: Dorchester, 45 Park Lane, Four Seasons Park Lane, the Bulgari. I'm not criticizing these hotels, but from a design perspective are certainly more modern and chilly than what you are seeking.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Groombridge
Hotels that would definitely NOT fit your description: Dorchester, 45 Park Lane, Four Seasons Park Lane, the Bulgari. I'm not criticizing these hotels, but from a design perspective are certainly more modern and chilly than what you are seeking.
I disagree regarding FSPL.
It has great residencial feeling, with a fireplace in the lounge, a cosy bar, some suites with fireplace. Decor is quite warm with dark wood, touches of red, black marble.
45 Park Lane & Bvlgari are beautiful but cold places.
It is not the case with FSPL.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by robyng

Its always a great time to dine in London.

Over all you wont have a problem with "winter-hotels".
Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:29 am

We will be at FSPL in a few weeks; I'll report back on this thread and let you know how I feel it fits your requirements.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.