Reload this Page >

Luxury hotel reviews in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotel reviews in London

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: AMEX MR, Diners USA,, Delta MM SM, USAir Plat, AAir Plat, HHonors, Marriott Platinum
Know this is not a new topic, but I am going to London in September as a tourist with many Starwood points to use...

What do FT'ers recommend in the high end Starwood properties? Or any property I can convert SW points to?

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Thank you DavidO for the comprehensive report. I'm using it to select the next place to try out - I have about 50 nights in London coming up this year and I want to try different ones, so your list will be very useful.

P.S. I am very happy with the Dorchester but their Japanese food for room service leave a bit to be desired.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Norton26, starwood forum would be better..

if youre doing award - park tower
if its because of SET/etc - lanesborough
Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
David, thanks so much for yet another illuminating and informative post!
Old Apr 1, 2009, 8:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Norton26, starwood forum would be better..

if youre doing award - park tower
if its because of SET/etc - lanesborough
As Kagehitokiri said.

Note, though, that Park Tower isn't really luxurious (but I do like its location), and Laneborough isn't SPG.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: AA PL 1.4 million miles
good info

I will be in London in May and was glad to see both David's post and Vuitton's. David had a great overall view and Vuitton offered a good personal perspective of each place that I would want to take into consideration when figuring out where to stay. Both post took considerable time to write and it is post like these that make this site a worthwhile place for information.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:05 pm
In memoriam

I agree with previous posters who mentioned that looking at a hotel is no substitute for staying there. Especially in older properties which tend to have rooms/suites/whatever that are non-standardized (frequently no two rooms are alike). Service and amenties ranging from fitness facilities to restaurants are important too - and you don't know whether they are good/bad/indifferent without a stay. This is merely a general observation. I have only been to London four times in the last 30 years - so I am hardly an expert in terms of the properties there at any given time. Robyn

P.S. I don't want to start a separate thread on this - but - as a followup to what I had mentioned in an earlier thread (now closed) - I want to note that after a delay of about a month or two - I did yesterday get an email from Four Seasons with a list of the FSPP who are closest to where I live. It apologized for the delay in responding to my initial inquiry. Better late than never IMO.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: EY Platinum, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
the mont calm behind marble arch a former nikko property is opening in sept/oct after a multi million pound refurb, i hear this is going to be one of the best 5*+ hotels in london
Old May 9, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Ritz vs. Lanesborough

We have the option of staying in a Deluxe Suite (74m) at the Ritz for 750 per night or an Executive Junior Suite (53m) at the Lanesborough for 675 per night. Which would you choose?
Old May 11, 2009, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
We have the option of staying in a Deluxe Suite (74m) at the Ritz for 750 per night or an Executive Junior Suite (53m) at the Lanesborough for 675 per night. Which would you choose?
The Lanesborough.
Old May 13, 2009, 1:19 am

We stayed at The Dorchester in the easter half term for 2 nights. It was our second visit to the Hotel and just as good. The only draw back to staying here , is that it completely spoils you from staying anywhere else. We have as a family stayed in some beautiful hotels all over the world, but The Dorchester in our opinion is the best and most luxurious. It has a perfect position at Hyde Park Corner, which allows you to be out of the hussel and bussel , but within walking distance to most of the attractions. The hotel itself is beautiful.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:26 pm

[QUOTE=vuittonsofstyle;11503952]
The Connaught, Claridges & Berkeley: All owned by Maybourne now, who, under Quinlan Private own some very good hotels, but generally do not appear to manage their hotels as well themselves. Also, why is it taking so long to renovate The Berkeley and to put in the spa?! Rumour has it that they keep changing their mind [QUOTE]

Derek Quinlan is to retire as chairman and partner of Quinlan Private following 'discussions'.

Perhaps now with new blood on the board you will see positive changes at some of their hotels (or a fire sale!)

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0708/quinlan.html
Old Jul 9, 2009, 6:08 am

[QUOTE=paul2;12032985][QUOTE=vuittonsofstyle;11503952]
The Connaught, Claridges & Berkeley: All owned by Maybourne now, who, under Quinlan Private own some very good hotels, but generally do not appear to manage their hotels as well themselves. Also, why is it taking so long to renovate The Berkeley and to put in the spa?! Rumour has it that they keep changing their mind

Derek Quinlan is to retire as chairman and partner of Quinlan Private following 'discussions'.

Perhaps now with new blood on the board you will see positive changes at some of their hotels (or a fire sale!)

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0708/quinlan.html
Interesting! Generally, Quinlan private are good owners but when they went into hotel management, the problems began. You see this all the time - after a couple of hotels, some owners think they can manage as well themselves, but it is rarely the case.

A couple of years ago, Quinlan poached John Brennan from Four Seasons (ex GM FS Dublin) to be their representative, but he is not involved with Maybourne, which is a pity as he would add a lot of know-how to the Maybourne brand.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 4:03 am

Sofitel Heathrow

On our flight back from Los Angeles to Frankfurt we are going to stay one night in London/Heathrow. Sofitel has nice prices and looks great. The only "problem" ist that we are 2 adults and 2 children ( 6 and 11 years old). So I canīt find a room or suite for us. I sent an email to Sofitel but I havnīt got an answer. Can you help me? Or do you have another hint for me? We arrive in London midays and leave 10 a.m. next morning.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:24 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
If the prices are reasonable enough for your budget, would connecting or adjacent rooms work for you?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by speckerle
On our flight back from Los Angeles to Frankfurt we are going to stay one night in London/Heathrow. Sofitel has nice prices and looks great. The only "problem" ist that we are 2 adults and 2 children ( 6 and 11 years old). So I canīt find a room or suite for us. I sent an email to Sofitel but I havnīt got an answer. Can you help me? Or do you have another hint for me? We arrive in London midays and leave 10 a.m. next morning.
Perhaps try posting in the UK and Ireland section (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/) - Sofitel isn't really a 'luxury hotel' as such so you may not get relevant responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.