Reload this Page >

Tipping the Front Desk Clerk for Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping the Front Desk Clerk for Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2008, 7:48 am

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by zitsky
ElkeNorEast, could you explain what hotel policies are for desk clerk staff if they receive compensation or gifts from guests? This would seem like a real gray area.
At the places I worked (a few Four Seasons hotels and a few Westins) there was no policy. I also worked in Guest Services (concierge) and as a housekeeping manager, and as I recall there were no official policies in place there either. There may have been official rules for bellstaff, since they made a waiter-level minimum wage but for those of us making $8/hr there were no rules.

I could upgrade someone with no explanation to managment if they were only there one night and we were pretty full. If given a reason it was easier, for example I could upgrade for birthdays, anniversaries... I would also be happy to upgrade someone if they told me they usually stayed at the Ritz Carlton but wanted to give our hotel a try for a change, since they could be potential return guests and we wanted to get that business!

Most front desk clerks would probably feel pressured if you handed 'em money up front, since they may not be able to accomodate you... see what you can get and tip later, that's what I do!
Old Dec 22, 2008, 7:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello FTers,

I tip the front desk clerk when it's appropropriate. On two recent trips, it was sort like a negotiation. In Honolulu, I paid for a upgrade to a beach view, I slipped the clerk $20 -- and he upgraded me a one bedroom suite, FREE breakfast and FREE Internet. The boyfriend was in seventh Heaven. My $20 was well worth it.

Then in Las Vegas, where tipping SHOULD have worked, I tipped him, then he upgraded me another tower, but when I checked out, I found that I had another $40 a night!

For housekeeping, I tip daily. Not sure who I'd get on the my last day -- the housekeeper who'd been cleaning my room during the entire stay or that one person who just started.

Bellman....yes, I kinda resent paying all that money for a short amount of time. So I use them when I need them. But they do tell me where the ice is -- also, I ask them to get ice for me (if I have to pay them that $$$, I want service!) -- and they are accomodating. So I pay them and consider it a cost of traveling.

David
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast
At the places I worked (a few Four Seasons hotels and a few Westins) there was no policy. There may have been official rules for bellstaff, since they made a waiter-level minimum wage but for those of us making $8/hr there were no rules.

I could upgrade someone with no explanation to managment if they were only there one night and we were pretty full. If given a reason it was easier, for example I could upgrade for birthdays, anniversaries... I would also be happy to upgrade someone if they told me they usually stayed at the Ritz Carlton but wanted to give our hotel a try for a change, since they could be potential return guests and we wanted to get that business!

Most front desk clerks would probably feel pressured if you handed 'em money up front, since they may not be able to accomodate you... see what you can get and tip later, that's what I do!
ElkeNorEast,

Thank you for your advice. Because you have worked at Four Seasons, I was wondering, what is the appropriate language/way to use when asking for an upgrade? Others in this forum can write their suggestions as well.

I have seen some suggestions as follow:

• Might a complimentary upgrade be available today?
• Could I get a complimentary upgrade?
• Is there anything better that you can do for me today?
• Is this the best room that you can get for me today?
• Is there any way you can upgrade me today?
• Is there an upgrade available for a modest fee?

Do you have any other advice?
Thank you

p.s. I did not know that front desk clerks earn approximately $8.00 an hour at luxury hotels. I thought, for any reasons, that their salary was higher.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
cintroncar - it's been 15 years since I left the hotel biz, so about $8/hr was the going rate then... it's probably more like $13/hr now, I'm guessing. Luxury hotel employees do not make spectacular money, in fact we were often told we were lucky to be working in such an esteemed hotel, how it's great for our CVs, blah blah blah in lieu of raises! We did have a free staff cafeteria with fantastic food (for free), and generous hotel stay perks but those things just don't pay the rent. I was promoted to management and never made more than $25,000 a year on salary!

I can't give you a script. You need to assess the situation, look for a friendly clerk (happy smiley ladies are usually best, I have found; anyone with a scowl or who is much more interested in their computer screen than you is not gonna be lucky). Ask what kind of room they have for you, and when they tell you don't register disappointment, but ask if perhaps there might be something "a little bigger" or "with a nice view" available. Seriously, most folks walk into the hotel, come to the desk and never look the clerk in the eye, and seem to have absolutely no interest in what room they get. If the room is important to you, let them know. You may not get a suite but you could get a corner deluxe, or a junior suite. Tell them a short funny story about the broom closet of a room you just came from (even if you didn't) and they'll want to make your day better. They usually just want to be helpful and make you happy, truly!

Upgrades are harder to give for more than one or two days, so keep that in mind.

When I travel (especially to Europe) I often send a fax to the General Manager's office asking if there is any way I can pay a supplement to upgrade my room... let them know you're celebrating your birthday, anniversary, honeymoon, etc. The GM's office will often give me a really excellent supplement price, I get great service at the desk because the GM's office has been fiddling with my reservation, and often there's a bottle of wine, chocs, etc. Very few guests ever contact the GM except with complaints, so they are often eager to please.

Also, for the best scoop on rooms if you don't like the one you have, get the bellman involved. Front desk folks have no idea what the rooms are like, whereas the bellmen know which rooms are good and which ones are crap. They will be most helpful especially if you act appreciative and tip them well.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:43 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

How do I get the name and email of FS GM'S? In particular: If anyone can help med out for the two FS Maldives resorts, I would be very happy to receive a PM. Thanks in advance (but no tip upfront, I am afraid).
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sending PM
Old Jan 14, 2009, 4:31 am

In smaller hotels/resorts, the Front Desk employee sometimes shows you to your room, and if the room is a nice surprise (upgrade, nice view, etc...), I can tell you that either husband or myself will (happily) tip the person.
This has happened many times for us in Asia, Middle East, and sometimes Europe.

We also came back to Front Desk on certain occasions and tipped the employee later on, if the person had remained at her/his desk.

Chatting nicely upon arrival never hurts!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Rewards Gold; Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Joelle
In smaller hotels/resorts, the Front Desk employee sometimes shows you to your room, and if the room is a nice surprise (upgrade, nice view, etc...), I can tell you that either husband or myself will (happily) tip the person.
This has happened many times for us in Asia, Middle East, and sometimes Europe.

We also came back to Front Desk on certain occasions and tipped the employee later on, if the person had remained at her/his desk.

Chatting nicely upon arrival never hurts!
This happens not only at smaller properties, but at many fine, large hotels. The 4S George V in Paris comes to mind immediately. I always tip the front desk staff when this happens.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:40 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
'll rather not even ask for any room upgrades bec it feels so cheesy and awkward to me. As long the hotel give me the room I booked, it's fine. Room upgrades should be treated as a bonus, not entitlements. That way, if I got one, I will feel more happy too. Only about 10% of my hotel stays on average got upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.