Wiki Posts
Search

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

I am thinking of doing a vacation to Marrakech in the spring. Does anybody have recommendations on where to stay? Looking for something modern, trendy, etc. similar to a MO or W type.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:39 pm

amanjena springs to mind.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trach500
modern, trendy, etc. similar to a MO or W type.
comparing MO and W??

W = Murano Oriental Resort (from $365)

i guess Amanjena (from $900) would be what you mean by MO

Dar Seven (from $220) is a more contemporary/modern Riad

and http://www.habibihomes.com/ has a couple modern rentals

also >
French architect Pascal Desprez is behind the supermodern Naoura Barrière, opening next year. The sister hotel to Fouquet’s Barrière in Paris, it features 86 suites plus 30 private riads (a home with an internal garden), each with its own pool. It is the first large hotel within the medina, the city’s old town of rabbit-warren-like alleys.
http://www.departures.com/articles/b...-mod-marrakech
John Smith / 371909

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 16, 2007 at 3:45 pm
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
IN Marrakech or OUTSIDE Marrackech?

If you want a riad inside, then Villa Des Orangers is one of the best bets. Others get mentioned in the same breath, but I've stayed at VdesO and can highly recommend it. Location is great and you get airport transport, breakfast, lunch, mini-bar and laundry for free.

Outside town, you've got the Aman plus a number of other places of varying quality. As long as you avoid the Palmerie Golf Resort, where I went for a conference a couple of weeks ago!

Personally, I would do a couple of days at a riad in the centre like Villa des Orangers and then a couple of days in a property outside the city. This will save you the hassle of driving into and out of the city every day - you can dedicate those days to sunbathing or mountain activities.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 9:04 am

Villa des Orangers is properly lovely. Another excellent option would be Riad Farnatchi (especially Suite 1 or Suite 5). It's very small (like all the Riad properties), beautifully decorated, and has and a real sense of place.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

huh, didnt remember Riad Farnatchi (from $400) being that contemporary, cool ^

http://www.riadfarnatchi.com/eng/suite1_new.htm

its definitely well regarded here

(Villa des Orangers is more traditional)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 16, 2007 at 3:43 pm
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA 1K, AMEX Cent
I prefer La Mamounia
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYaway3x
I prefer La Mamounia
(renovation transitioning from traditional/classical to art deco)
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
(renovation transitioning from traditional/classical to art deco)
I think Farnatchi still gets its share of celebrities, though it is not "contemporary". Having stayed there (in Room 1) - and then experimented with other high end places in the Palmeraie, I would go back to Farnatchi in a heartbeat (especially if the Manager, Lynn, is still looking after things).

I have not stayed at Mamounia since the reno - but before the reno, there was no way I would go back.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 8:02 am

I spent a few days at Farnatchi, and then at Amanjena, and that was an enjoyable combination. I liked both properties very much, and would certainly recommend them.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Can someone please PM me the email address for GM of La Mamounia, Didier Picquot.

Best,

JW
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ambassador Platinum
Looking to spend 2 nights IN Marrakech. Since this thread is a bit old, can some of you experienced FTers please recommend somewhere nice for our first time there? Is it still the La Mamounia and the Villa des Orangers? Since Amanjera is outside of town and we only have 2 nights, we will probably skip it. Your help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:20 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mecca138
Looking to spend 2 nights IN Marrakech. Since this thread is a bit old, can some of you experienced FTers please recommend somewhere nice for our first time there? Is it still the La Mamounia and the Villa des Orangers? Since Amanjera is outside of town and we only have 2 nights, we will probably skip it. Your help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
My favorite riad in the media is Riad Farnatchi, where the service was terrific and the design exquisite, leveraging, but not slavishly, the Moroccan aesthetic and traditional craftsmanship, and wedding it to a contemporary sensibility.

Next time I go to Marrakech, though, I'll want to stay at the Royal Mansour, funded by the Royal Family with no expense spared. I just spoke with a former GM of Amanjena and he raved about the quality of every aspect of Royal Mansour--from the cutlery to the food to the design.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:51 am

Consider the risk before going. Many hotels offer actually great promotions (e.g. luxurylink.com, lhw.com). This may speak for a lack of tourists.

http://www.moroccoguide.com/about-mo...gs-dangers.php
last suicide bombers were only in 2007. So at least, this won't happen. http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ySecurity&pg=2
and for general dangers: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...975.html#crime
And don't speak French.

But if you ever love risk, why not take the risk of getting ripped off by a taxidriver. They're cheap & considered to be safe.

Because I'm almost sure that you can't get it any better than at the Amanjena. But I didn't stay at the other properties here so I don't know the Riad Farnatchi etc. -> Just by hearing the sound of the video on their webpage, I don't wanna go again to Marocco at all.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Royal Mansour is definitely the place to try. Expensive though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.