Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The Oriental Pool Suites have two entirely separate bedrooms - each housed in separate buildings - you just share the pool and courtyard and, if you wish, the breakfast kitchen. It is very well thought through.
Very interesting - I did not get that impression from the website. Thanks muchly, I'll reconsider that now and will likely switch to this room type instead.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems top room at jena also built from two pavilions

can also do 'connecting' at jena including the jardin

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 31, 2017 at 1:30 pm
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:22 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
We went to the Medina twice without a guide, I will check tonight what was the cost of transfer.
Did you ever get a chance to check what the transfer cost?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by hannisen
Did you ever get a chance to check what the transfer cost?
No sorry, when I checked I had already lost the invoice.
If my memory is correct it was something like 800 or 900 dirhams for the return transfer but I'm not 100% sure
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:29 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
No sorry, when I checked I had already lost the invoice.
If my memory is correct it was something like 800 or 900 dirhams for the return transfer but I'm not 100% sure
OK, good enough. Thank you!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:31 pm

Anyone aware what went down at Palais Namaskar? Apparently the developer and owner of the property, Philippe Soulier, sold it last year and the new owner terminated the management contract with Oetker collection. From what I gather, throughout this transitional period reservations were not honored and people were stranded in the airport, looking for alternative accommodation. Then, later, reports emerged that all employees went on strike, so they threw out all guests while employees gathered in front of the hotel. Sigh! I was never a fan of this property, mostly for their ridiculous design choices and clubby vibe. New owner seems to have assigned a new GM with not much luxury experience to speak of and standards throughout the resort are suffering more than ever before. Property states redecorating took place, but I don't know what that includes. Must have been some major works if they want to rescue the place... I'd get rid of the chandeliers, rip out the velvet curtains, new carpets, less curtains, fire the DJ, less curtains... did I mention less curtains? I actually believe the loss of Namaskar is good for Oetker, as it was not in line with the rest of their hotels. Or maybe they could have kept it and bought Royal Monceau from Qatar, so they'd have two hotels and could start a diffusion line of hotels that Philippe Starck butchered.

It is no secret that the market in Marrakech is a nightmare, which explains that Namaskar was highly unprofitable. The pool passes many hotels now offer are just the latest mislead course of action to increase revenue. Many hotels struggling at the moment. Amanjena survives through its financially sound ownership and buyout after buyout, Park Hyatt project stopped completely and Prince Al-Waleed was looking to sell FS for a very long time -- curious now how they are doing under visionary leadership of ex-Aman Blaise Montandon. Will visit soon. MO seems to be working just fine, thanks to its visionary blueprint, great F&B concepts and also the novelty factor. But I wonder how MO will do in a couple of years, many parts of the hotel could be anywhere.

Last edited by scented; Feb 11, 2017 at 1:57 pm
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by scented
Anyone aware what went down at Palais Namaskar? Apparently the developer and owner of the property, Philippe Soulier, sold it last year and the new owner terminated the management contract with Oetker collection. From what I gather, throughout this transitional period reservations were not honored and people were stranded in the airport, looking for alternative accommodation. Then, later, reports emerged that all employees went on strike, so they threw out all guests while employees gathered in front of the hotel. Sigh! I was never a fan of this property, mostly for their ridiculous design choices and clubby vibe. New owner seems to have assigned a new GM with not much luxury experience to speak of and standards throughout the resort are suffering more than ever before. Property states redecorating took place, but I don't know what that includes. Must have been some major works if they want to rescue the place... I'd get rid of the chandeliers, rip out the velvet curtains, new carpets, less curtains, fire the DJ, less curtains... did I mention less curtains? I actually believe the loss of Namaskar is good for Oetker, as it was not in line with the rest of their hotels. Or maybe they could have kept it and bought Royal Monceau from Qatar, so they'd have two hotels and could start a diffusion line of hotels that Philippe Starck butchered.

It is no secret that the market in Marrakech is a nightmare, which explains that Namaskar was highly unprofitable. The pool passes many hotels now offer are just the latest mislead course of action to increase revenue. Many hotels struggling at the moment. Amanjena survives through its financially sound ownership and buyout after buyout, Park Hyatt project stopped completely and Prince Al-Waleed was looking to sell FS for a very long time -- curious now how they are doing under visionary leadership of ex-Aman Blaise Montandon. Will visit soon. MO seems to be working just fine, thanks to its visionary blueprint, great F&B concepts and also the novelty factor. But I wonder how MO will do in a couple of years, many parts of the hotel could be anywhere.
Thanks for that wrap up, but no mention of Royal Mansour ?

I thought that was the place to be in Marrakech, or am I mistaken ?

I'm planning a trip later this year but haven't booked as haven't firmed up dates.

​​​
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Nizar
Thanks for that wrap up, but no mention of Royal Mansour ?

I thought that was the place to be in Marrakech, or am I mistaken ?

I'm planning a trip later this year but haven't booked as haven't firmed up dates.

​​​
Royal Mansour and La Mamounia both enjoy a cult following with many regulars, and considering their ownership they don't really have to compete...

Currently MO is the place to be in Marrakech, but I suspect because it is the newest resort development there. I remember back in the day when FS opened, many locals would go there for dinner and drinks, especially in the evening the atmosphere was remarkable with many locals mingling with the very International clientele. It was the place. That's no longer the case, that crowd moved on now to MO, although it is not as refined.

I'm going as well, likely March-April when it is a bit warmer.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:11 pm

I really like La Mamounia, love the atmosphere and history and you can walk to the Medina.

Also new Oberoi opening soon - http://www.oberoihotels.com/hotels-i...cco-marrakech/

Lovely warm sunny days in February/ March
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by scented

I heard the same story about Palais Namaskar. I actually liked it when it first opened, under GM Frédéric Picard - he did a very good job. I also liked the intimacy of the place, but I agree about the curtains! The original owner, who designed the place, started off with just 12 suites, then added more later on. The property was designed along Feng Shui lines. The problem with adding more suites was that there was just one restaurant and a roof-top bar, which only worked in the warmer months. Given its distance from the centre, Namaskar really needed a second F&B outlet.

There are far too many hotels in Marrakech, so I wonder where Oberoi will get its guests from. MO is great right now, and I hope that, unlike many MO properties, this will not decline, but MO's track record is not good in this respect.

Royal Mansour is a lovely museum showcasing the region's artisan skills, but for me, it does not work as a hotel - the riads' tiny rooms spiralling upwards on several floors, with very steep steps. Attitudes, too, are way too snobby for my liking.

After its Garcia refurb, La Mamounia is better than it was in the 1980s, and I still love the gardens, but I'm not sure it has kept pace with what the luxury market wants these days. Given the intimacy of some of the other Marrakech properties, Mamounia is very Grande Dame in style and service and even if you do stay in one of the better suites, you do not feel that special compared to, say, Amanjena.

I would rather stay around the corner at Villa des Orangers - for me, the best riad in town. Lovely staff and a truly authentic yet comfortable experience.

I agree about Four Seasons. My only niggle last time was the food, which was not great. Hopefully Blaise will fix this (if the owner allows him to!).
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I would rather stay around the corner at Villa des Orangers - for me, the best riad in town. Lovely staff and a truly authentic yet comfortable experience.
Is it worth splurging for the Private Riad at Villa des Oranges or is the Master Suite sufficient ?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:18 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Any recommendations for the old town? For a three night stay in September.

Looking at La Sultana (a SLH property) currently. What is the best way to book a SLH place with no status in their program? Any agent perks offered?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by sydakllon
Any recommendations for the old town? For a three night stay in September.

Looking at La Sultana (a SLH property) currently. What is the best way to book a SLH place with no status in their program? Any agent perks offered?
Isn't La Sultana in Oualidia which is a small town on the coast several hours drive away from Marrakech ?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:56 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Isn't La Sultana in Oualidia which is a small town on the coast several hours drive away from Marrakech ?
They have two. The medina property is a renovation of four joined riads.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:38 am

Is it worth splurging for the Private Riad at Villa des Oranges or is the Master Suite sufficient ?
I was not too keen on the decor in the private riad - it did not seem as well designed as some of the suites in the original wing. The Riad was added last to the hotel - it used to be a carpet warehouse. They did a great job merging it with the original buildings. Of course, if you need something with several rooms, then this is your best option. Personally, though, I like the suites in the original wing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.