FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Mandarin Oriental coming to Milan in 2010 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/744458-mandarin-oriental-coming-milan-2010-a.html)

christianj Oct 9, 2007 11:00 am

Mandarin Oriental coming to Milan in 2010

Here's the link to the press release:

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher...51380&start=49

Also listed here:

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/520000016.asp

vuittonsofstyle Oct 9, 2007 11:18 am

I heard about this - and like the size - 104 rooms. It sounds a bit Four Seasonsish as the three 19th century buildings are set around a courtyard. The big sell will be the spa. Nice location on Via Monte di Pieta!

Kagehitokiri Oct 9, 2007 12:06 pm

interesting news :)

i hope some of their properties with condo residences have rental programs.

looking forward to seeing the pricing on Sanya too.

SojournsOf Jan 26, 2011 2:25 pm

Does anyone have any info on this property? I found something about it opening this year in this article (dated June 2010) about restaurants. Article also lists MO Milan as opening 2011.

The market research we have done for the Milan hotel, which is due to open next year, overwhelmingly tells us that visitors go to Italy to eat Italian food and Italians themselves like to eat Italian food. So you can be certain that the food we'll be serving at the Mandarin Oriental Milan will be Italian.

BaumeMercier Jan 26, 2011 4:30 pm

I visited Milan in november and last I heard from experts in Milan was that the owner of Mandarin is the same as for the upcoming W and Intercontinental and they were all being build at the same time!!! Financial crisis hit hard and now only Mandarin is being build and the others on a slower phase...
Opening end of 2011...

Shangri-La Jan 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by sydakllon (Post 15740939)
Does anyone have any info on this property? I found something about it opening this year in this article (dated June 2010) about restaurants. Article also lists MO Milan as opening 2011.

How do you conduct that kind of market search? Questionnaire mailings to those in your MO guest database?

rm76 Jan 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Shangri-La (Post 15742169)
How do you conduct that kind of market search? Questionnaire mailings to those in your MO guest database?

I think they put out questionnaires at the Olive Garden near the MO Boston advertising “free appetizer with the completion of this questionnaire”.

Shangri-La Jan 26, 2011 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by rm76 (Post 15742252)
I think they put out questionnaires at the Olive Garden near the MO Boston advertising “free appetizer with the completion of this questionnaire”.

Free all-you-can-eat bread sticks! :)

I do find it interesting that the MO Boston's restaurant, Asana, went from an Asian-inspired cuisine to a New England-focused menu when chef Nicolas Boutin left for the Conrad Maldives property and appointed the new chef.

TRAVELSIG Jan 27, 2011 7:50 am

Hmmm...
It will be tough to beat the Four Seasons and the Park Hyatt in Milano.

SojournsOf Jan 27, 2011 8:43 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 15745747)
Hmmm...
It will be tough to beat the Four Seasons and the Park Hyatt in Milano.

I'm really intrigued to see how this and MO Paris pan out (particularly Paris with Shangri-La seemingly getting rave reviews and FS reigning king there).

TRAVELSIG Jan 27, 2011 8:45 am

Originally Posted by sydakllon (Post 15746082)
I'm really intrigued to see how this and MO Paris pan out (particularly Paris with Shangri-La seemingly getting rave reviews and FS reigning king there).

Yes- MO doesn't have a real presence in Europe at the moment- also interesting to see how the Shangri-La pans out for the same reason. It is quite difficult to beat the FS Paris- also the FS Milano has excellent service so in either city it is going to be a very tough game.

Shangri-La Jan 27, 2011 1:18 pm

TI

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 15746108)
Yes- MO doesn't have a real presence in Europe at the moment- also interesting to see how the Shangri-La pans out for the same reason. It is quite difficult to beat the FS Paris- also the FS Milano has excellent service so in either city it is going to be a very tough game.

I think they MO will put up a good fight in both markets. The winners are the consumers with more options and competition. Is the MO still going into Moscow?

rm76 Jan 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by sydakllon (Post 15746082)

Throw the PEN in the mix in 2013 and should be interesting.

Richey66 Jan 28, 2011 6:37 am

Can we hope these new hotels result in price war, so there won't be absurd 500 EUR/night prices like in Park Hyatt Milan and Paris now?

TRAVELSIG Jan 28, 2011 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Richey66 (Post 15753182)
Can we hope these new hotels result in price war, so there won't be absurd 500 EUR/night prices like in Park Hyatt Milan and Paris now?

We can hope- however I would say very highly unlikely. And still- at peak times like fashion week/trade fair/etc (which there are a lot of)- the hotels will comfortably be at full rack rates and also most likely full.