Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by OliverB
I just booked 9 nights in a Deluxe Suite (requested park view) at The Peninsula for November '14. We have an upgrade through Virtuoso and I was wondering what to expect; does this mean we'll get bumped up to the Marunouchi Suite which according to the floor plan is smaller in sq. footage and doesn't offer park views? Should I have booked into a lesser room category expecting to get bumped up to the Deluxe Suite with a Virtuoso upgrade, or is it risky with November being high season for western tourists coming to experience koyo? Any chance of getting bumped up to the Hibiya Suite or fat chance? While the location is unbeatable and features seem excellent, I can't say that I'm all too impressed with the rooms themselves that I've seen online. I was watching youtube footage of the Deluxe Suites and they look rather boring and generic. Some videos even showed shabby looking stained carpets. The big wow factor always seems to be the mood lighting and electronic windows, bed, toilets, etc. That stuff is all very nice but are the rooms themselves up to par for the price and reputation afforded to this property? We're staying on our honeymoon and I want to be certain this is the best option in the city.
The Deluxe Suites are excellent. In Japan any upgrade beyond what the hotel is contractually required to provide is unlikely, and would usually only happen if the hotel needed to upgrade someone due to high occupancy.

Living in Tokyo I not really interested in the Aman, although I am sure it will be nice. I suspect even at the Aman service will at times suffer from inflexibility, as this is a cultural issue.

I agree that MO upgrades at suite level could provide great value. IMO the Mandarin Oriental is one of the best options in town, and has by far the best all day dining. Signature is also a very good restaurant, and in-room dining is highly flexible. As any good hotel should do, they handle special requests very well.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 2:49 pm

Thank you for offering context, Mike - it's very helpful!

How would the Deluxe Suites at The Pen compare to the equivalent or higher at the MO? I think it comes down to location for me, so we'll almost certainly stick with The Pen and I'm sure we'll be more than happy with our room. It would be nice to get upgraded through the Pen Club though, as that it is clearly outlined in their benefits program.

Is it not a common ocurrance in Japan for guests to voice criticism of room size, layout, noise, views, etc. upon receiving their keys at check-in? That seems to be an expected standard in the hospitality and service industry in western culture and I find myself guilty of this more often than not, be it with regards to hotel rooms, rental cars, etc. and almost always to a far more satisfactory resolution (ie. larger room or class upgrade; higher floors or preferred views). Would that be considered especially rude in Japan?

Last edited by OliverB; Dec 22, 2013 at 3:14 pm
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by OliverB
Thank you for offering context, Mike - it's very helpful!

How would the Deluxe Suites at The Pen compare to the equivalent or higher at the MO? I think it comes down to location for me, so we'll almost certainly stick with The Pen and I'm sure we'll be more than happy with our room. It would be nice to get upgraded through the Pen Club though, as that it is clearly outlined in their benefits program.

Is it not a common ocurrance in Japan for guests to voice criticism of room size, layout, noise, views, etc. upon receiving their keys at check-in? That seems to be an expected standard in the hospitality and service industry in western culture and I find myself guilty of this more often than not, be it with regards to hotel rooms, rental cars, etc. and almost always to a far more satisfactory resolution (ie. larger room or class upgrade; higher floors or preferred views). Would that be considered especially rude in Japan?
Pen has the most comfortable suites with the best layout, however MO has very nice suites as well. Views of tokyo bay and the entire skyline at MO are an advantage, and F&B is also a bit better overall than at the Pen.

Re complaining, this depends on whether the complaint is legitimate or frivolous. To frivilously complain in an attempt to weasel an upgrade or other compensation would be in very bad taste, in Japan or anywhere else.

I really do not think you have anything to worry about if booking a deluxe suite. All have the same layout, so main difference is high floor or low floor. The hotel will do its very best to fulfill all requests, so letting them know what you want in advance is a much better approach than complaining.

If you want a higher category of suite confirmed, then the best approach would be to negotiate a rate for the suite you want, or a confirmed upgrade. Otherwise it is not worth worrying too much about an unlikely upgrade. It could happen, but even if not the Deluxe suites are superb.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:41 am

Detailed report: Park Hyatt Tokyo v The Peninsula

Here is my first trip report. Somewhat shorthand but mainly a comparison between two flagship hotels in Tokyo being the Park Hyatt (PH) and the Peninsula (PEN). We flew Qatar J class from LHR to NRT via DOH and back. Hope you enjoy.

Rooms
Both the PH and the PEN have excellent entry level bedroom sizes with large bathrooms, sitting areas and very comfortable bedding. The PEN rooms edge the contest IMO as they are somewhat larger and feel slightly more luxurious - if I was renovating my bathroom at home I would like something along the lines of what you get at the PEN. There was some mildew/mould on the ceilings of both the shower area in the room at the PEN and at the PH - perhaps a function of people taking longer than normal showers - easy to do given they are so nice! While staying at the PH it was possible to hear noise from the bedroom above (someone walking in high heels); also when some drew the curtains in the room next door it was easily audible. The door to exit the PH room also lets in quite a lot of corridor noise (not good if you are near a lift) - the room in the PEN on the other hand was absolutely quiet - in fact there is an additional door to exit the room making sure you hear nothing while sleeping. The PEN has in room Lavazza coffee makers with one kind of coffee capsule. Unfortunately the coffee was just too weak for my taste (and that of my wife). The PH rooms have nespresso machines - can't go wrong with these in my view – depends on your taste I suppose. The rooms at the PH have better views IMO as you can get Mount Fuji views and views over the park - pretty impressive. Some views from the PEN allow you to see the Imperial Palace grounds but not very well. The bathroom in the PEN room had ‘his’ and ‘hers’ sink areas (one on either side of the bathroom). The PH bathroom is slightly less impressive and smaller. All in all it hard to split these but the PEN rooms win.

Breakfast
The room 'deal' at the PEN had breakfast included. I have to say I was underwhelmed. The breakfast usually happens in the lobby area while the Asian restaurant on the first floor is used as an overflow at weekends - I didn't mind so much eating in the lobby area but perhaps it won't suit everyone as depending on where you are sitting you can get a strong breeze when people come in through the front door. The food at breakfast was not quite what you would expect from this level of property: the poached eggs were a bit tasteless, coffee was weak and pork sausages seemed to be 50% fat/rusk/whatever filler they use for sausages instead of meat - if you are going to offer English/Irish breakfast you need to get decent sausages! I didn't eat breakfast at PH as we ate at a coffee shop in the shopping centre in the basement of the hotel. For me, having inexpensive eating near the hotel is an advantage - I'm fed up (pun intended) of paying up to Ł30 per person for breakfast. Just because I am spending nearly Ł300+ for a night does not mean I want to throw money away (bit like having to pay for wifi at five star properties which was the norm not that long ago). When did bed and breakfast become bed only? And why is every 5* property you can think of only offering buffet breakfast rather than table service - how hygienic these 'help yourself' areas are worries me. Anyway, I digress with my rant. I did eat breakfast at the PH during my previous stay - it was very good I recall and is served in a nice, calm area with spectacular views - and for that reason I will give this to the PH.

Gym/pools
No contest here: the PH gym wins hands down. It has two very large workout areas on either side of the very large pool area with enough equipment for a serious workout including a heavy duty bench and lots of free weights (up to 50 kg dumbbells). It was not busy when we were there which was around mid morning weekday - superb views of Mount Fuji etc. By contrast the pool at the PEN is nice but views from loungers are uninspiring looking over at the main road which runs around the Palace. The PH workout area is very small and cramped and was full of people when I did one early morning workout - there are only a few basic machines to work with and nothing more than 10kg dumbells.

Bars
PH has the famous New York Bar but for me the PEN edges this as the Peter Bar there has good views and a more exclusive atmosphere. A note of criticism is the bar seats at Peter Bar do not allow you to get properly comfortable as there is no place for your knees and you have to twist sideways. Obviously the ponytail who designed the place never sat in a bar long enough to work something like that out! First world problems obviously but design should never be ahead of comfort.

The bar at the PH had very poor service when I was there and the waiters I dealt with really struggled with English (lost in translation indeed). I won't bore you with the confusion over my drinks order but it took 15 minutes to get a glass of wine. Also you get lots of tourists coming in taking pictures of themselves - makes you feel you are at a busy attraction rather than somewhere to relax - I get why people come but it just felt a bit too busy. I thought the jazz on the evening was very average. That said my wife preferred it to the Peter Bar therefore I must be wrong!

Club sandwich
Everyone knows that you really judge a hotel by the quality of its club sandwich - that's just the way it is. Had one at the PEN and it was forgettable - pretty crusty bacon I think and chicken was not particularly good. At the PH it was excellent and I had one twice - toast not overly toasted, with a large portion of fries and everything just right - also it was very reasonably priced at about Ł14 I think. It earned a spot in the top 5 of my global club sandwich league.

Other
A few other things:
I had planned to show my wife around the fish market while at the PEN. On arriving back after dinner one evening I asked the concierge what time we should get up to go to the fish market as we wanted to go the next day. We got up at around 445 to leave the hotel at 5am. A car was arranged by a difference concierge. Eventually got to the fish market to discover it was closed due to a public holiday. I should have known it was a holiday but I was surprised that the concierges didn’t catch it. I mentioned to the hotel manager who very kindly offered the hotel Rolls Royce for 4 hours tour the next day which was very enjoyable and it did make up for things – that said I never quite settled my sleep pattern after that morning wake up. I feel the concierges are very junior at the PEN (didn’t use them at the PH) – there seems to be a trend towards concierges just googling your query rather than knowing anything about the area around the hotel e.g. we asked for a dinner recommendation and were directed to a café bar rather than a restaurant.

As a general point I found the staff somewhat warmer and more natural than the PEN.

Flights
We flew J from LHR to DOH, DOH to NRT and back. Good product although not as high end as the J product which Oman air currently runs (and which was my last middle east airline J flight). Food was fairly good with no meal outstanding or even in the ‘very good’ category. Wines/champagne very good and I did my best to clean them out of the rose bolly.

The Qatar premium terminal in DOH has pluses and minuses: check-in there is great as it is like a hotel check-in complete with bellhops. Super fast. Business class lounge can get full (i.e. no seats) - it happened to us and we were led to the first class lounge. Bus transfers to aircraft can be very, very long (think 20 mins) - more traffic around the apron at that airport than the M25 - need a long term solution if they are going to grow as a hub. Perhaps something is in the planning as there is certainly a lot of construction around the airport.

As an addendum we spent a week in Dubai at the Jumeirah Emirates Towers which I can recommend. Good location and appreciated the shopping mall downstairs as it gave many reasonable dining/breakfast options.

Thanks
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by pkpkpk
Club sandwich
Everyone knows that you really judge a hotel by the quality of its club sandwich - that's just the way it is. Had one at the PEN and it was forgettable - pretty crusty bacon I think and chicken was not particularly good. At the PH it was excellent and I had one twice - toast not overly toasted, with a large portion of fries and everything just right - also it was very reasonably priced at about Ł14 I think. It earned a spot in the top 5 of my global club sandwich league.
Next time try the steak sandwich at the PH. Best I have ever had.

Update: finishing another stay October 2014... Had streak sandwich again, still good, but not great as before. Enjoyed the Nasi Goreng this time.

Last edited by schriste; Oct 25, 2014 at 4:28 am
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:44 pm

Bars
PH has the famous New York Bar but for me the PEN edges this as the Peter Bar there has good views and a more exclusive atmosphere. A note of criticism is the bar seats at Peter Bar do not allow you to get properly comfortable as there is no place for your knees and you have to twist sideways. Obviously the ponytail who designed the place never sat in a bar long enough to work something like that out! First world problems obviously but design should never be ahead of comfort.
In my opinion the New York bar and grill is far better than Peter, now that peter has changed to be a steak restaurant. Neither of these however, holds a candle to The Oak Door at the Grand Hyatt. Maduro also, in my opinion, is the best hotel bar in Tokyo. The Oak Door bar is fun too, but it often gets crowded.

Club sandwich
The best club sandwich I have had in Tokyo, by far, was at the Mandarin Oriental. This is not surprising as the F&B quality at this hotel is excellent overall.

Peninsula's is acceptable, but totally forgettable.

The Ritz-Carlton's was abysmally bad. I cannot understand how any hotel could get a club sandwich so wrong.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Dec 23, 2013 at 12:51 pm
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC, BA
MO vs PH Tokyo

I'm going to be spending a few days in Tokyo and have narrowed down my choice to either the Mandarin Oriental or Park Hyatt. What are people's opinion of these hotels? Also, any thoughts regarding the more desirable room categories?

Happy holidays!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by allstar_yvr
I'm going to be spending a few days in Tokyo and have narrowed down my choice to either the Mandarin Oriental or Park Hyatt. What are people's opinion of these hotels? Also, any thoughts regarding the more desirable room categories?

Happy holidays!
I would make the decision based on location if that is a factor.

If MO, corner rooms or the premier rooms are nice, as well as all suite categories.

At the PH, I prefer the view rooms, which are corner rooms. There are not many of these in the hotel.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: AC, BA
Thanks for the info. This will be my first trip to Tokyo just as a tourist. What would you consider the best location? What about the Shangri-la as it is situated on top of Tokyo Station? Is it really in the same league as the MO and PH?

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I would make the decision based on location if that is a factor.

If MO, corner rooms or the premier rooms are nice, as well as all suite categories.

At the PH, I prefer the view rooms, which are corner rooms. There are not many of these in the hotel.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by allstar_yvr
Thanks for the info. This will be my first trip to Tokyo just as a tourist. What would you consider the best location? What about the Shangri-la as it is situated on top of Tokyo Station? Is it really in the same league as the MO and PH?
As a tourist, I would consider MO to have a better location, but this might depend on what your interests are.

S-L certainly was beautiful shortly after it opened, but I have not been back for quite a long time. The italian restaurant Piacere is excellent. If you consider S-L, opt for one of the premier room categories (also available with club access).

You definitely should also be looking at the Peninsula. The Peninsula, MO, S-L, and FS Marunouchi are all located very close together. The S-L is practically next door to the MO.

The best location for leisure travelers IMO is the Grand Hyatt at Roppongi hills. Accommodation is not on par with the Peninsula's, but it is a good choice at suite level or in the better club rooms. It has several very good restaurants and a great bar.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
In my opinion the New York bar and grill is far better than Peter, now that peter has changed to be a steak restaurant. Neither of these however, holds a candle to The Oak Door at the Grand Hyatt. Maduro also, in my opinion, is the best hotel bar in Tokyo. The Oak Door bar is fun too, but it often gets crowded.
I've never warmed up to Peter, it's fine, but there is something about the vibe that just doesn't quite gel. The New York Bar is always a tossup with regards to service, but the view is outstanding and has some of the best people watching anywhere.

The Oak Door is poser central, except for the steak sandwich I'd rather poke my eyes out with hot kushiage sticks than hang out there. Two Rooms is even worse. Maduro is a fine bar, certainly, but if you're looking for a proper stogie evening Le Con on Roppongi Doori or Chardonnay in Omotesando are where you want to be.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
I've never warmed up to Peter, it's fine, but there is something about the vibe that just doesn't quite gel. The New York Bar is always a tossup with regards to service, but the view is outstanding and has some of the best people watching anywhere.

The Oak Door is poser central, except for the steak sandwich I'd rather poke my eyes out with hot kushiage sticks than hang out there. Two Rooms is even worse. Maduro is a fine bar, certainly, but if you're looking for a proper stogie evening Le Con on Roppongi Doori or Chardonnay in Omotesando are where you want to be.
I had a few good meals at Peter back when the hotel just opened, but think it has gone downhill. I will not be back, unless perhaps if staying at the hotel.

I eat quite regularly at the Oak Door for dinner, but do not often go to the bar. For drinks I think Maduro is much better.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Four Seasons Tokyo

Because of the protests in Bangkok, we have moved our reservation to the FS Tokyo for 8 nights.

Are there any updates as to this property?

We really cannot wait to visit Tokyo!

Are there any must see sights or restaurants near the hotel?

We will be traveling with 2 year old twins.

Anything we must order food wise at the hotel?

Any spa treatment which was particularly good?

I will be sure to report back on our experience.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Because of the protests in Bangkok, we have moved our reservation to the FS Tokyo for 8 nights.

I am afraid the food is quite forgettable these days. They used to have a simple, but delicious sea urchin linguini pasta that was quite good - not sure if they still have it.

Are you sure you don't want to stay somewhere with more dining options and pool/spa facilities like MO, Pen, GH, PH, etc.?

Will you be traveling to other places in Japan as well, or just staying in Tokyo? The Japan forum would be the best place for information not related to hotels.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U

When are you going? I only ask because Aman Tokyo opens this summer....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.